Another Newbie!

Hey hows it going? Just joined the site and thought i’d introduce myself. Been using the site for a while now but only signed up.

Im currently a wannabe driver!! My licence is currently away getting provisional cat c added then im going to gain my cat c and cat c+e asap! Unfortunatly when i pass my test ill have 2 issues to deal with, the regular ‘No experience’ problem but im also only 22 so that ain’t gunna help me! Trucking is all ive ever wanted to do so im not gonna give up til i get my goal!! I must add that the advice givin on this forum is beyond awesome. Ive learnt so much by reading the threads and ill continue to do so throughout my training!!

As for now anybody that ever heads into Northern Ireland through the p&o port in Larne keep en eye out for an orange 206, im down there ALL the time watching the lorries coming off the ferry!

welcome chris

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome Chris_NI :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

GENERAL DRIVING TIPS BEFORE STARTING LGV C TRAINING (Link)

If you click the link in my signature or these truck pics

it will lead you to an index where you can access a lot more info which may be of use to you :smiley: :smiley:

BEFORE you book your training, READ THIS… - I suggest the trainee-to-be visits the training school, meets the head person(s) and has a quick look at the truck BEFORE parting with any money.

Recommended LGV training schools

THE DRIVER SHORTAGE IS AN ADVERTISING MYTH - Generally more drivers than jobs in the UK
Newbies - Jobs, Agencies & EXPERIENCE & Is this country short of drivers ?

FAQ forum for info on Posting Pics, Driver CPC, Getting 1st LGV Licence and much more…

when i pass my test ill have 2 issues to deal with, the regular ‘No experience’ problem but im also only 22 so that ain’t gunna help me!

You forgot the lack of jobs in this current climate unless you already have one lined up :question:

It’s not all negative, a lot of agencies and employers want you to have 2 years experience before they give you a look in but in many cases this means holding the licence for 2 years - daft I know :exclamation: - as this recession is forecast to just about be over in 2 years you might time it right :wink:

As long as you are prepared for the wait and if you do have to wait then a refresher might be a good idea.

My dad has been a driver for many years and knows alot of guys running small fleets so he thinks he may be able to pull a string or 2 lol, my dad currently drives for asda so hes also going to find out if they welcome drivers under 25!

May sound silly and a long way off but i cant wait to get my pass banners from you already rog lol

Hiya Chris,
I’m a new driver just passed aug 08 .Best feeling ever.
Good luck with your training and don’t forget your mirrors,mirrors and mirrors. :smiley:

Hey andrew, BIG BIG CONGRATULATIONS to you, i dont even know you and im jealous of you already lol. I cant wait to hold a pass certificate in my hand! Hoping to do my training within the next few months so hopefully it’ll go right first time. Luckily the training is a fair bit cheaper in Northern Ireland than the Mainland!!

Chris_NI:
May sound silly and a long way off but i cant wait to get my pass banners from you already rog lol

Ready and waiting :wink: :smiley:

Chris_NI:
… then im going to gain my cat c and cat c+e asap!

I normally recommend that you drive C for a few months before going for C+E ARTIC (not W&D) but in this current climate I don’t think it will make a difference jobswise.

Most usually find C+E a little easier to do after a bit of experience on C as you get to know what the numpties out there can throw at you :exclamation: :exclamation:

Cheers . When examiner handed me my cert i JUMPED out of the cab n cud have done back flips. It’s a good job the instructors drive you back, i was in no fit state to drive back i was that giddy.
When you start your training it’ll fly by and you’ll be holding your pass cert in no time.

Hopefully ill get the chance to get some experience in the c first but if nobodys willing to give me the chance then unfortunatly it’ll have to be straight to c+e.

As for the wag and drag, thats a road i dont want to be going down, looks to be complicated and in N.I they arn’t really a popular outfit anyways, most commonly over here is artic or just rigid on its own. In my opinion fair play to anybody that can reverse a w&d lol

LOL @ Andrew, the hairs on the back of my neck are standing up just thinking of how good a feeling it must be!! I really cant find the words to describe how much i want to hold my licences!!

ROG:
I normally recommend that you drive C for a few months before going for C+E ARTIC (not W&D) but in this current climate I don’t think it will make a difference jobswise.

Most usually find C+E a little easier to do after a bit of experience on C as you get to know what the numpties out there can throw at you :exclamation: :exclamation:

Ive just booked a combined class 1 and 2 course with Zenith in Fareham :blush:
The experience driving with class 2 - does that include my bus driving as well ROG?

DAF95XF:

ROG:

Ive just booked a combined class 1 and 2 course with Zenith in Fareham :blush:
The experience driving with class 2 - does that include my bus driving as well ROG?

PCV driving is driving a large vehicle and I’m quite sure you’ve found all the numpties by now if you have done that :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I wanted to drive lorrys when I was young as well, and like a fool I was put off by my dad who used to drive them and told me not to. I think it was a lot harder in the 60’s . I wish I had of done it years ago. I passed C and I am waiting to take my C&E. I admire you, and your enthusiasm. I still sit on the bays in my rigid watching the big boys come and go and drop themselves,inch perfect onto those shiny doors time after time , I am green with envy but I know I will do it one day soon. You have given me more inspiration to go for it sooner rather than later.
Cheers and good luck ,
Danny

ROG:
PCV driving is driving a large vehicle and I’m quite sure you’ve found all the numpties by now if you have done that :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Yeah and then some :laughing:

Chris_NI:
Hopefully ill get the chance to get some experience in the c first but if nobodys willing to give me the chance then unfortunatly it’ll have to be straight to c+e.

As for the wag and drag, thats a road i dont want to be going down, looks to be complicated and in N.I they arn’t really a popular outfit anyways, most commonly over here is artic or just rigid on its own. In my opinion fair play to anybody that can reverse a w&d lol

Good for you mate its nice to hear a young lad with enthusiasm to get into the industry hore it all goes as planned and good luck with the training… a wagon and drag is easy enough its when you have an A frame it gets difficult :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Chris_NI:
Hey hows it going? Just joined the site and thought i’d introduce myself. Been using the site for a while now but only signed up.

Im currently a wannabe driver!! My licence is currently away getting provisional cat c added then im going to gain my cat c and cat c+e asap! Unfortunatly when i pass my test ill have 2 issues to deal with, the regular ‘No experience’ problem but im also only 22 so that ain’t gunna help me! Trucking is all ive ever wanted to do so im not gonna give up til i get my goal!! I must add that the advice givin on this forum is beyond awesome. Ive learnt so much by reading the threads and ill continue to do so throughout my training!!

As for now anybody that ever heads into Northern Ireland through the p&o port in Larne keep en eye out for an orange 206, im down there ALL the time watching the lorries coming off the ferry!

your in the same boat as me, im 22 though i have experience its not at the 2 year bit yet, that will be in september but you just gotta be cheecky and apply for anything going and somebody will give you a chance eventually.

Cheers for the comments guys, wish i hadda signed up long ago, this site opens up so much more for members than guests, my missus is raging cos she cant peel me away from the computer now lol

Well folks, to say im gutted at the moment would be an understatement!!

I got in touch with DVLNI today and they told me my licence was posted on 22.1.09 with the cat c provisional added but due to it beeing posted so long ago they are classing it as “lost in post” so i now have to wait for another licence to be made up and posted before i can book my theory test!!

I pray that this licence actually makes it to me! Im trying not to think about where my original licence may be and who’s hands its in!! :imp:

Chris_NI:
Well folks, to say im gutted at the moment would be an understatement!!

I got in touch with DVLNI today and they told me my licence was posted on 22.1.09 with the cat c provisional added but due to it beeing posted so long ago they are classing it as “lost in post” so i now have to wait for another licence to be made up and posted before i can book my theory test!!

I pray that this licence actually makes it to me! Im trying not to think about where my original licence may be and who’s hands its in!! :imp:

This time send it recorded delivery mate, I did with mine, that way you know they’ve got it and you got cover if it gets lost in terms of cost for new one etc. I would trust them to arrange a ■■■■ up in a brewery, useless barstewards