Volvo VN tractor unit

Twice in the last couple of days I ve seen a UK registered VN bonnetted tractor unit travelling along the motorways, first time on M40 at about 130pm on Friday afternoon pulling a 40ft container on skelly trailer, second time this am about 930am on m25 between M4 and M40 junctions running solo. I think it may have a cherised registration W???LTP i think.

Does anyone know any details about it, especially since i would have though it was running quite overlength on container work.

If it is the Red 1 that is often down at Tilbury

It is a P reg sorry cant remember the full reg of it :blush: :blush:

if its the same one im thinking about then ive met the driver/owner a couple of times at the pumps. very nice guy but the truck is a work horse not a show truck from memory

the one in this thread?

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=35685

Yep he’s an owner driver runs mostly out of tilbury

Containers are load, not part of the trailer. The load can go over length, and regularly does over here… Plenty of US wagons hauling containers here. None on general haulage… because they’d have to have short trailers for it.
So long as his total length without a box on is fine, he’s in the clear. (As I understand it…)

With a standard tractor unit we’re 52 ft long with a 40 ft trailer, I should think the VN cab would make it bang on 60 ft which (if I’m right and ROG would know) makes it perfectly legal without oversized load plates.

If it’s the deep metallic red one then I saw him in Soton Docks last week, looked a stunning truck.

whats 60ft in metres
max length 16.5 metres for artic

hitch:
whats 60ft in metres

18.288m according to my calculator.

Does anyone actually get prosecuted for being a bit overlength?
There are plenty of oversize combinations about.
But if no one gets prosecuted, then it’s not a problem.
I think the rules should read a bit different. as follows.
Maximum trailer length 45’. no maximum size of tractor unit as long as it isn’t designed or modified to carry a load.

limeyphil:
**Does anyone actually get prosecuted for being a bit overlength?**There are plenty of oversize combinations about.
But if no one gets prosecuted, then it’s not a problem.
I think the rules should read a bit different. as follows.
Maximum trailer length 45’. no maximum size of tractor unit as long as it isn’t designed or modified to carry a load.

IIRC, there is a haulage company in Burton on Trent that ran a Peterbilt with a 13.6m fridge trailer, the driver got stopped in a roadside check and was found to be overlength, from what i have heard, VOSA took all the details and went to the company’s office to start proceedings against them, when they got there, they asked the owner if he had a vehicle with registration number ABC 894 (not actual reg number), he said no, they asked again and he denied it, VOSA man looked out of the window and could see the vehicle in question, but the owner still denied any knowledge of the vehicle in question.

it turns out that the VOSA man who had taken the details down at the time of the vehicle being stopped had taken them down incorrectly, he had written down ABC 894 when it should have been ACB 894.

VOSA walked out of the office very peeved, but unable to prosecute because of the ■■■■ up with the registration number :blush: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

the last i heard was the company concerned had purchased a shorter trailer to fit within the length rules, ran that for a while, then eventually sold the Peterbilt

Problem is our roads can be be very tight, moreso than a lot of other countries, especially through towns and villages, with a full size trailer and a large american bonnetted sleeper cab i’d imagine you have a high chance of being physically unable to make it round certain junctions (such as those with bollards/islands in the middle of the road etc Result being there’ll be a lot of stuck trucks in towns and villages that can’t get round corners, and ofcourse without re signposting the entire country you couldn’t warn drivers.

That is a short wheelbase VN, compared to the 240" which is the norm over here, it originally came from Canada, a bloke called Mick Mcwhatever brought it back with him, it sat in MJD & Sons yard for a while then did some promotional stuff for Coca Cola then Paul Byfield bought it, did some skullduggery in Belgium to get it registered then it went on a P plate, it’s got a Volvo lump & a Fuller box so parts aint a problem unless it’s a body part or a wheel rim.

IIRC a container is not part of the load anymore, this was to clamp down on the dubious efforts of Mr Jan DeRooy & his like minded friends, that VN should just about scrape under the 16.5m rule as a 40’ box is 12.2m leaving 4.3m or 13’11"ish to play around with, it’s got a 63" cab plus the bonnet which is about 4’.

Hope that clears it up :wink:

Kiowan is right, it’s probably a right pain in the arse in a small space, but a Volvo has at least got a decent steering lock unlike most North American stuff, no way would I fancy a Pete or a KW over there, it’s bad enough here in one!

'kin ell, an actual factually correct post on Trucknet? :open_mouth: That’s it, the world has officially come to an end.

hi chaps i know plenty about the truck and yes he is running legal with it

trucks.autotrader.co.uk/stock-it … 6a0/advert one for sale

Kiowan:
Problem is our roads can be be very tight, moreso than a lot of other countries, especially through towns and villages, with a full size trailer and a large american bonnetted sleeper cab i’d imagine you have a high chance of being physically unable to make it round certain junctions (such as those with bollards/islands in the middle of the road etc Result being there’ll be a lot of stuck trucks in towns and villages that can’t get round corners, and ofcourse without re signposting the entire country you couldn’t warn drivers.

I completely agree. The majority of industrial estates and business parks you just wouldnt be able to get into a position like u can with our euro cabs. But saying that the driver obviously makes it work for him what ever he does, port to port or what have you.

I had a VN 610 on my first trucking job over here, bright red, great sleeper and a 500 ■■■■■■■ under the hood. Not much came by me and with 40 tons I could climb six mile hill on I-90 in Massachusettes at 75 mph without slowing.
My favourite US truck.

n648888955_334969_9753.jpg

Allthough you can’t make it out, the white sticker above the licence plate say’s ‘TRUCKNET.UK’ if I remember rightly.

FarnboroughBoy11:

Kiowan:

I completely agree. The majority of industrial estates and business parks you just wouldnt be able to get into a position like u can with our euro cabs. But saying that the driver obviously makes it work for him what ever he does, port to port or what have you.

If a conventional won’t go there chances are a cab over won’t either.

youtube.com/watch?v=vAEzprnn … re=related

Agree with you Pat,they’re one of the nicest on the road.When I first came over I had a VN670 with the condo cab,Volvo engine and auto box,not a brilliant drive but luxury to live in.Since then I’ve driven all sorts of VN’s and the best has to be with the ■■■■■■■ with 18 speed eaton-fuller,they’ll just pull and pull all day long,look out the mirrors and you can actually see behind you rather than looking at stacks,they turn nicely,the only thing that let’s them down is the air on the steer axle,can seem vague on the steering and not much feedback on the ice.Whatever,I’d choose a Volvo anyday over this antiquated American rubbish.
Feel free to step in here NMM :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: