The Red US Spec Volvo hauling Containers in Uk

Hi lads,
Just wondering if anyone can help,would anyone have contact details for the chap that drives the red US spec Volvo VNL that hauls containers around UK.
I have seen pics on this site before but cant find them now.
Many Thanks
Sean

a dnt know how to get in touch but i do know he runs out of the isle of grain

is that the same one that was irish registered for a long time?

i had a pic of it/one solo clamped at ashford truckstop several years ago, but my pics are in storage at the mo

I’m not a fan of bullnosed trucks, but I see this one about quite often and it does look good. Much better than a T cab with it’s afterthought nose job.

Thanks for the replies lads and the pics Harry,I was just wondering if he gets any hassle with running over length,as it must be running 18 metres long all the time.I have also seen a few Volvo NH and T cab Scanias hauling fridges on mainland Europe and I was curious to see if the Regulations were relaxed in this regard.
Thanks again
Sean

I think they get away with running 40’ boxes but not 13.6.

John Scholey had an issue when he was on for Geest in Hull

Wheel Nut:
I think they get away with running 40’ boxes but not 13.6.

John Scholey had an issue when he was on for Geest in Hull

I’m not 100% certain, but the long nose Scanias can run with 45 foot boxes as far as I remember. It’s because the box is the load and the load can overhang.
They can’t run with 45 foot trailers though, only 40 footers.
Those long-line cabs are built on the same chassis, so have the same restrictions.

This looks even longer than a long nose Scania, which must cause problems.

he told my brother inlaw its licensed under special types cuz that vn will be over length even with a 40ft trailer when the vn were launched t&d did a test on one and the only trailer they could pull was a short powder tanker at 33foot long

Even with it licenced as STGO (Special types) when pulling a non abnormal load he would still be required to conform to Construction and Use rules, therefore if he is over length with a forty foot trailer he could still be done if VOSA get the tape measure out

Rikki-UK:
Even with it licenced as STGO (Special types) when pulling a non abnormal load he would still be required to conform to Construction and Use rules, therefore if he is over length with a forty foot trailer he could still be done if VOSA get the tape measure out

Don’t VOSA do a cronstruction and use examination on first registration of an imported vehicle?

If so VOSA will already know about the length, therefore it should be road legal.

It runs out of 39 berth at Tilbury sometimes too. Will try and get you a contact if I clock it in a queue next week. :bulb:

It can be road legal at any length unit, once it is coupled to a trailer it has to conform to construction and use , especially the legal turning circle for a unit and trailer combination.

The length of the tractor is immaterial you could in theory have a 30 foot long unit as long as once it is coupled to (what would be a very short trailer,) it can turn within the specified radius.

Pretty sure I saw it down Isle of Grain last week,will get his details If I can and PM em to you.
no guarentees though.

Why don’t you ask him yourself…?

Thanks again Harry,I couldnt zoom in on the number on my computer,I did try :blush: :blush:

You’re welcome. :smiley:

sean : i used to drive a bullnose scania b4 the volvo i drive now and i was coming out of seaforth with a 45’ container on and vosa stopped me and it was over lenght . . but i had been stopped with the same trailer with a 20’ container on and was just given the roadside routine and was on my way. . surely a container cnt make it illegal. can it?

shouldn’t make any difference the length of the box - as said before - the box is classed as the load - its the overall length of trailer and unit that counts

I saw this motor in Solstor (Thames House) a while back and the driver said something about the length not being illegal. He did explain but it went over my head.