Volvo VNL on the M5 today

How? I thought US trucks were too long for Europe. It was hauling a tanker trailer as well…

Tanks are a lot shorter than a 45 foot (13.6mt) trailer . That may be the reason that he can use a VNL Volvo. Its much the same as the “Bull nose” Scanias you see . From memory I think they can pull up to a 33 foot trailer and still be within the regulations .

Oh, ok. Not knowing how long they are, I assumed pretty much any multiple axle trailer would throw them over the limit. Wonder what the point in using a VNL is? I’ve only ever seen Scania T’s do specialty work (towing, etc), and Kenworths as tow vehicles.

How does that longline Scania I keep seeing up and down the A34 get away with it? He’s always pulling a skelly with a 40 ft box on.

Quite a common sight on the A12 around Colchester, but am sure (ish) that the last one I saw was an American model.

the maoster:
How does that longline Scania I keep seeing up and down the A34 get away with it? He’s always pulling a skelly with a 40 ft box on.

T Cab was within with a 40ft box and the longline is no longer than a T Cab, so no problem.

Talking of US spec bonneted volvos, went over to Hull, and encountered WH malcolm’s yank volvo, longline scania, and their new S series scania… Beats the highline scania’s and fm globetrotters that you see their drivers tramping in…

philgor:
Talking of US spec bonneted volvos, went over to Hull, and encountered WH malcolm’s yank volvo, longline scania, and their new S series scania… Beats the highline scania’s and fm globetrotters that you see their drivers tramping in…

They were at the truckshow in belguim.They do all the shows in the uk most of there drivers tramp in volvo fh and topline scania now.

madmackem:
Quite a common sight on the A12 around Colchester, but am sure (ish) that the last one I saw was an American model.

Yeah i’ve seen that a few times too.Definately an american truck.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

daftvader:

madmackem:

Yeah i’ve seen that a few times too.Definately an american truck.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

It’s on French plates

Firstly sadly departed Saviem had said elsewhere that it’s easier to import US trucks in France with them having some type approval loopholes there.

While here there seems to be some recent changes to the IVA scheme which now allows for all types of goods vehicles whereas before it had a low weight limit,which is interesting.While,assuming it’s fitted with I shift,the Volvo’s main components at least are probably type approved for Euro use anyway.Probably not so easy to import something with a ■■■■■■■ N14 or ISX for example and an 18 speed Fuller in it though regardless.

I often see American trucks on french plates hauling tanks up and the A12

I couldn’t tell you what the makes are, but there are quite a few "american " type tractors on the road here in France. There is a red one who’s owner driver is a bit of a tv celebrity, often featured in programs and protests.

This one I drive, only 2ft shorter than trailer.

Bet it’s a pain in the arse to get the lock off if you had plenty on in the first place?

Bet it’s lovely to live in?

I think the French import theirs from Quebec, rather than from the USA.

I wouldn’t like to drive one in Europe, the room in the cab is nice, but they would be a complete PITA in a tight spot, the Volvos have much better steering lock than the traditional long nose American trucks, but they’re still as long as a 6wheeler rigid and they don’t even have a lift axle to help out when it gets tight.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Theres a guy in kent who owns/owned one using 40ft boxes…use to come into our depot on a regular basis…nice motor to be away all week in…its about time our government increased the living space of a unit, rather thann in the bosses favour with trailers…possibly no extra money in a unit for the drivers comfort, but more pallets equal more money in a trailer.

having never driven one so i dont know, but why would they be any more difficult to drive than a wagon and drag, assuming you pull a shorter trailer such as a tanker or bulk?