my "new" truck

well they sold off my little volvo fl10, pity cos i quite liked it, nice and handy for getting around town

and now i have this yoke

1997 Freightliner FLB1112 (daycab) with a ■■■■■■■ N14 400 horseys, 13 speed eaton fuller box.

pulls very well, but its a bit of a pig for some of the places i deliver to, seeing as i always have a 45 foot tautliner on it can get interesting.

honestly thought i was going to get one of the new motors thats meant to be coming in, but ill just go with the flow!, its not a bad truck to drive.

One thing that I never understood is why the Scania LongLine’s were banned from the UK, but they allow Scania and Volvo trucks like your ‘new’ one pictured above…surely, with the longer bonnet, isn’t the chassis just the same length as a LongLine?

im in australia adam, theyre about the norm, theres longer wheelbases than that one over here

beattun:
im in australia adam, theyre about the norm, theres longer wheelbases than that one over here

Sorry, I knew you were overseas, but you still get these long bonnet trucks in the UK, just seems odd that LongLines are bannd from the UK (as far as I’ve been led to believe), yet I’m sure the chassis are the same length, give or take a couple of inches.

ah right, to be honest i dont think the chassis on the truck above is any longer at all than the FL10 i was driving, its just that youre sitting a bit behind the steer axle making it a lot harder to judge when turning into tight spaces.

Longline’s were never banned.

There is at least one Longline on the UK roads, black and gold pulling boxes.

They are built on a T cab chassis, so instead of having a bonnet, you get cab space.

Longlines are not banned. Its just they aint much good unless you pull stubby trailers. Have seen them and bonneted versions with full length trailers but then you take your chances with VOSA etc.

T cabs can only pull 40 foot trailers and will be over length pulling 45 footers so not much good in this day and age.

Thats why most T cabs in the UK eith pull tippers or do STGO work where they can get around it.

The only Longline that works proper in the UK is on container work, i see it a lot with 2x20ft boxes.

As long as you stick within the overall length limit then no tractor is banned!

However that black n gold thing weighs 10 tonnes solo, would be a waste of time on a bulk tipper! I can only assume he has some knowledge of the boxes he’s likely to get allocated!

oh ok…I thought I read on here sometime that they were banned from the UK, that and I’ve never seen one before.