Question re european weight limits

hey look I’ve found an old thread and I’m resurrecting it for no real purpose whatsoever :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:
if it works for tesco/stobart threads it can work for anything :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

yep, you have totally lost the plot. :slight_smile: should be known as username “confusedwelshboyinspaintoby1234abc” :slight_smile:

glenman:
yep, you have totally lost the plot. :slight_smile: should be known as username “confusedwelshboyinspaintoby1234abc” :slight_smile:

sorry glenman trying to inject some sarcsm into this recent surge in thread resurrections :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

oh look sombodyelse thats bought one of those load af calenders that was lost on a stobart trailer years ago pmsl

gazwrf:
oh look sombodyelse thats bought one of those load af calenders that was lost on a stobart trailer years ago pmsl

at last somebody gets the cynicism of my post :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

many of the euro trucks we see travelling are roads are 2 axle tractors, due to there countries lower weight limits and are probably taxed/plated accordingly.
however i have notice a few firms are using 3 axle tractors ( van bentum of holland is one example)
you dont notice at first because the midlift is hidden by the side skirts.
so back to the question,

if a vehicle is plated in its own country to run at 38/40/41 ton and it is working here in the uk, then can it run at 44 ton providing it has the 3 axled tractor and trailer. :question:

if they are not allowed to run at 44 ton then why spec a three axled tractor :question:

I think that Van Bentum specs reduced weight 6x2 units (with the smaller middle wheels) for weight distribution purposes - or at least that’s what someone at DAF Eindhoven told me. Come to think of it, isn’t the GVW limit for Holland 50 tonnes - they could then run UK at 44 no problem with a 3+3.

Here’s a link to a smart website by one of HJ vB’s UK drivers:
bentum.co.uk/

Craig

max gross weight for euro main land is 40 tonne for artic regardless of amount of axles different for wagon and drags in some countries ie holland and sweden etc :smiling_imp:

this was always a bone of contention when UK had lower limit (38te) than most of europe - could we run 40te in france? the gendarmes tried to say that we could only run at max weight of our country of origin if it was lower than france’s but they never laboured the point once the coffee money was sorted so we never got a proper answer on the matter![/i]

You could and can only run at the plated weight of your vehicle, apart from anything else you could run into insurance problems if you ran heavier than that.

john smith:
max gross weight for euro main land is 40 tonne for artic regardless of amount of axles different for wagon and drags in some countries ie holland and sweden etc :smiling_imp:

Sorry JS but that’s not correct - max gvw here in France is 44 tonnes on five axles, with 13.5 tonne drive axle on the unit. That’s for domestic work only; for inter-european on the mainland it’s back down to 40 tonnes.

The question is, if HJ vB for example does cabotage work in UK and the truck is plated for 44 tonnes on 3+3 then could they theoretically run legal at 44 tonnes?

Craig

Some other countries max weights for artics:

Belgium

3 axles 29 tonnes

4 axles 39 Tonnes

5 axles 44 Tonnes

Holland

3 axles 30 Tonnes

4 axles 40 Tonnes

5 axles 50 Tonnes

Germany

3 axles 28 Tonnes

4 axles 38 Tonnes

5 axles 44 Tonnes

Lorry weight limits (tonnes)
for articulated vehicles and drawbar combinations
in EC member states
Country Number of axles Axle Weight Limit
4 5 6
Austria 38 38 38 11.5t
Belgium 39 44 44 12t
Denmark 38 44 48 11.5t
Finland 36 44 53 11.5t
France 38 40* 40* 13t
Germany 36 40 40* 11.5t
Greece 38 40 40 11.5t
Ireland 35 40 44 10.5t
Italy 40 44 44 12t
Luxembourg 38 44 44 12t
Netherlands 41 50 50 11.5t
Portugal 38 40 40 12t
Spain 38 40 40 11.5t
Sweden 38 40# 40# 11.5tt
United Kingdom 38+ 40 44 11.5
EC Directive Limits (International Movements) 38 40* 40* 11.5t

• 44 tonnes for combined road/rail transport with axle weight of 10.5t.

§ Austria permits a 5% tolerance on this limit allowing, in effect, 40 tonnes. Austria also allows 42 tonnes for container transport.

Higher weights allowed for certain long vehicle combinations.

• Attracts a substantially higher rate of Vehicle Excise Duty so in practice is never used.

well some one is wrong then oddsodz says its 40t for france and 44t for road rail not general but saying that looking at the other info on here it looks like we arnt all the same then even though we should be stuff european union:twisted:

In theory the limit for domestic work here is 40 tonnes but the reality is that most will run 44t without worrying too much.

Down in Marseille on the firm I drove for a while back we were running Decathlon gear from Vitrolles to Toulon at 44t gvw - that’s not my idea of combined transport as it was loaded in the groupage warehouse and unloaded at Decathlon’s store. He also ran tippers on 44t carrying steel, but in a port city like MRS who’s to know where the load is coming from, as long as you don’t hit anyone no-one is going to stop you!

Just had a look on the www at a few French transport sites and they say that the limit for all domestic work could move up to 44t shortly.

We still don’t know what limit those blue & silver tankers are running at in the UK - perhaps someone can ask one of their drivers this week?

Craig