Longer Double Deck Trailers

So, I noticed this a few weeks ago, new double deckers are rare, particularly at the hub I go to. So it’s easy to spot shiny brand new trailers. It wasn’t until I was parked alongside it last night that I realised how long the things are! :open_mouth:

Attached a couple of photo’s for interest. Excuse the quality, there is only so much you can do with a camera phone in the dark.

In the first pic, the tractor units are parked level, i’ve not been keeping up with the technical developments of this, since I read about Denby’s B-Double nonsense a while back, but just looking at it, it looks a good 2m longer than a standard 45ft trailer, enough for 2 extra pallets.

The second pic, doesn’t show all three axles unfortunately, but the first two are close together like normal, and the third is a long way back, and (I assume) steers. They are on super singles as well, including a spare underslung. Not sure i’d fancy my luck changing one of those :laughing:

It also has one of those inner curtains that you sometimes see on trailers used by breweries. Which is as far as I can see an extension of the useless idea of integral straps. But perhaps a nod to the new push on load security by VOSA, especially if this is a trial trailer and not yet fully approved.

Anyway, just posted for your interest. Not sure how I feel about them. I know you won’t see them trundling through town centres, but the rear swing might be interesting on a diversion through Lichfield, for example.

Spotted a longer trailer at asda the other day.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338393753.713443.jpg

You used to see a greater spread between the axles years ago when there were still a few tandems about and pretty sure I’ve seen spread axles between 2&3 with moffets.The extra spacing was if they were 10 tonne axles instead of your more usual 8 tonne on tri axles. Would it be for the extra weight in this case or because of rear steer?

Christ carryfast will be here in a minute with his 6x4 roadtrain pooh poohing this.

Toscos have also got at least 2 15.65m(?) refrigerated trailers, again with the same axle layout, which they seem to be testing. I take it the rear axle is a steered one?

if they are rear steering then they follow quite well. personally i think they should be outlawed (double deckers) bloody horrible things too high and dangerous in strong winds. boots had quite a few roll over that i know of only driven with a few of the 16’ high ones and not a fan at all!

They are positively steered rear axles, made by Tridec, NL now owned by Jost!
The King pin is in a turntable with a wedge that fits in the fifth wheel and theres a bar that runs to the back and steers the rear axle also mounted on a turntable!! They steer when reversing unlike the more common steer axles that lock!!
The reason to have them on these longer trailers and to have them set a wee bit further back is to comply with turning circle regs!!

Tesco have 15 fridges built by Gray & Adams!!

olds’kool:
They are positively steered rear axles, made by Tridec, NL now owned by Jost!
The King pin is in a turntable with a wedge that fits in the fifth wheel and theres a bar that runs to the back and steers the rear axle also mounted on a turntable!! They steer when reversing unlike the more common steer axles that lock!!
The reason to have them on these longer trailers and to have them set a wee bit further back is to comply with turning circle regs!!

Tesco have 15 fridges built by Gray & Adams!!

Yes they do!!!

war1974:
if they are rear steering then they follow quite well. personally i think they should be outlawed (double deckers) bloody horrible things too high and dangerous in strong winds. boots had quite a few roll over that i know of only driven with a few of the 16’ high ones and not a fan at all!

Trailers like this with the Tridec suspension set-up are more stable than a traditional tri-axle as the bottom deck load is below the normal axle centres giving it a very low centre of gravity and the height still only comes in at 4.5m but can be 4.2m which means you can get under most A-road bridges you’d want to.

Only seem to be popular with operators moving roll cages really. A big down side I would say though is that no axle means the brake chambers are up in the wheel arches and use two slack adjusters to reach the s-cam which means it is very hard work to get good brake efficiency from them.

I once pulled an empty Montracon tandem box, ex-Woolworths I think and that did not seem very stable and didn’t like the motorway tramlines at all either think it would have been better as a tri. Generally if they’re loaded sensibly I’ve found double deckers perfectly ok no different to a high-ish load of baled card or hay/straw on a step-frame.

May save the planet but they look minging having the axles spaced further apart, doesn’t do my OCD any good at all. Think the double deckers have a lower height limit as well so they giveth with one hand and take away with the other. Can’t see the point of them really with the lower overall height limit.

Own Account Driver:

war1974:

Trailers like this with the Tridec suspension set-up are more stable than a traditional tri-axle as the bottom deck load is below the normal axle centres giving it a very low centre of gravity and the height still only comes in at 4.5m but can be 4.2m which means you can get under most A-road bridges you’d want to.

Only seem to be popular with operators moving roll cages really. A big down side I would say though is that no axle means the brake chambers are up in the wheel arches and use two slack adjusters to reach the s-cam which means it is very hard work to get good brake efficiency from them.

I once pulled an empty Montracon tandem box, ex-Woolworths I think and that did not seem very stable and didn’t like the motorway tramlines at all either think it would have been better as a tri. Generally if they’re loaded sensibly I’ve found double deckers perfectly ok no different to a high-ish load of baled card or hay/straw on a step-frame.

Don’t 2win “I think the company called someone quote me if I’m wrong” got theys type of trailers ?