Urgent Request

I have been requested to place a floral tribute at the place Derek Bailey lost his life in the truck fire in Grimsby.
By Friday night, can anybody who has experienced crimes against yourself and/or your truck please post your story.
I have asked my local newspaper to come along and do a story and also my local cable tv station.
I would like some stories to throw at them to give an indication of the seriousness of the situation.
Personal stories will be the best.
If anybody is near to the area, even if the press do not turn up, it would be nice to have some company, other than my kids.
I will print off the stories to take with me and tell them the truth of the matter. I did have a truck magazine that had a report in it from one of the police forces giving an idea of the extent of the problem, but seem to have mislaid it, if anybody who has a copy, could be CM, it would be nice if you could post it for me.

Thanks everybody.

There is a piece in this months Trucking International. (July 04) about a report from ESCP-EAP European School of Management,
These are the main points:
Truck Operators doing very little to protect thier drivers.
16% of driver questioned had been attacked and driver were most vulnerable when abroad.
In Britain, Foreign drivers were more likely to be attack than British ones.
41% of attacks accured on MSA and 30% in Truck stops and parks.
1in 3 drivers were attacked while sleeping in thier cabs.
over 7% were injured.
over 50% received no support or were unhappy with the level of support they got from their company.
90% of the cabs were locked at the time of the attack.
over 50% of the attacks did not inolve the police. The language barrier was given as a reason for this.
The mercedes range was rated as the most secure by the Thatcham Research Centre and Scania 4 series the worst.

This post HERE highlights the dangers faced by drivers…
Have spoken to Lucy about this and she is happy for you to highlight it if needed[/b]

Bump :smiley:

Many Thanks Muckles and Rikki, and Thanks to Lucy for allowing me to use her story, if needed.
I’m sure I would have found Lucy’s story, but wouldn’t have used it without permission, or being posted on this thread.
Names Will be deleted, as will the name of easy start, no harm in not giving that name out to give would be’s an idea.

Well, to be quite honest, I am disgusted, but not surprised, the press did not turn up, in fact I didn’t even get a reply of any sort from them, so a nice email of thanks will be going to them.
The floral tribute was successfully placed, many thanks to Cromwell Florists, Grimsby Rd, Cleethorpes, it is only the third time in ten years that I have used their services, and they came up trumps with a beautiful display.
I will be sending the pictures to Krankee for him to publish them as he wishes, I only hope he and the Bailey Family like the offering, it was an honour to be asked to do this small thing for them.
I would be honoured to do this every year while I live in the general area if I am asked to do so on behalf of the Bailey Family.
However, even if I am not asked, I will do it off my own back.

May Trevor Rest in peace, and his family be happy that he will be remembered.

R.I.P Derek.
Perhaps Dratsabsti you could let us all know which members of the press you invited.

Post their e-mail addresses and we can ALL say thanks for not turning up.

Shame on them.

Niall.

They may not have turned up drasabasti but the important thing is you did a good thing, and in doing it and saying you will be happy to do it each year you have my utmost respect.

Coffeeholic:
■■■■ he important thing is you did a good thing, and in doing it and saying you will be happy to do it each year you have my utmost respect.

and mine

DITTO

Thanks for that, but the respect goes to Derek Bailey and his family.
I was honoured to do this small thing for him, and my kids were as well, they know, it could have been me

I have had many instances over the years…but the most recent involved the passenger window being shot out…which in turn shot out the drivers window…for what ■■..2 mobile phones…this incident was witnessed, and my boss when told phoned his mobile and the thief answered with these words ` tell your stupid driver that i earn a living from stealing mobile phones from vehicles, to which my bposs replied that he was the stupid one cos he had missed £800 …all he took was 2 phones and my jacket which only had my club card in…the police did find the bullit…but not the thief or phones…but cost my boss the price of 2 windows…
I had an incident another time where the rear window was removed whilst i was asleep…luckily i woke in time to see a hairy arm down by the door opener trying to open the door…he ran off screaming…with my breadknife stuck in it…that was in the persian gulf.
.i have not encountered many such instances in the u.k, but i have heard plenty.
have a nice day

Thanks and Respect to Dratsabasti and Krankee for organising this rememberance

What a beautiful boquet…

God Bless, Derek.
R.I.P mate… :cry:

Thanks Dratsabasti and Krankee…

I tilt my head forwards and look to the floor…respect to Derek Bailey may he rest in peace.

many thanks for the pics of a bouquet.

such a sad shame that there was a reason for it.