Unreasonable or not?

One of the lads I work with on nights who I’ve become good pals with has been told he’s not required again for allegedly taking too long to do a job. Now having worked for the same company myself on numerous occasions I know what they’re like and regularly take roughly the same time he did to do the job.

The job was to take a trailer from Huddersfield to Scratchwood MSA, drop it off and bring one back. He started at 1900 a few nights ago, got his paperwork and keys, coupled up, did his checks and left the yard at 1940. He went via M62 J25 to Lofthouse then down the M1.

The company deducts 1 hour for break(s).

He stopped at Leicester Forest MSA for 30 minutes bang on for a / and something to eat then continued on his way, getting held up at Northampton where it was down to one lane for about 10 minutes and again just above the Luton roadworks where it was once again down to one lane (another 5-10 minutes) and arrived at Scratchwood at 0015.

He dropped and swapped and put it on break for 15 minutes to make it up to a 45 total and set off back at 0040. He was held up for 15 minutes once again just after J12 where it was down to one lane again and continued all the way to J35A where he pulled off for a bite to eat and had 30 minutes break there. He arrived back in the yard at 0530 on the nose (via M1 and M62 again), dropped the trailer off, fuelled up and completed paperwork and arrived back in the office just after 0550 to hand in keys and paperwork, booking off at 0600.

The night shift manager changed the 11 hrs to 9 hrs and told him he was only getting paid for 9 hrs as that’s how long their own drivers take (who are incidentally guaranteed 10 hrs every night regardless of where they go). He was also told that he wouldn’t be working there again as he took too long to do the job.

The guy refuses to do a 4hr drive in one hit as it’s too much driving in one go and you’re also advised to stop for a break and stretch your legs every 2 hours, and I agree, cos I don’t like doing anymore than about 3hrs solid driving in one hit either.

Your thoughts please. Unreasonable or not? By the way, the wagon “only” does 53mph on the limiter, although the driver concerned doesn’t drive on the limiter anyway to avoid “elephant races” as he calls them.

Firstly I assume this is an agency job? IF it is then I would still be billing the agency for the full 11hrs, if not then I would be dragging the shift manager accross the table and politly requesting that he changes the hrs back and has a close look at the tacho to see exactly what I had driven - sounds more like thay are using that as an excuse not to have him back - but trying to dock money for no reason is a joke and the bloke deserves a good slap for it.

smcaul:
Firstly I assume this is an agency job? IF it is then I would still be billing the agency for the full 11hrs, if not then I would be dragging the shift manager accross the table and politly requesting that he changes the hrs back and has a close look at the tacho to see exactly what I had driven - sounds more like thay are using that as an excuse not to have him back - but trying to dock money for no reason is a joke and the bloke deserves a good slap for it.

It was an agency job yes. I have seen the guys tacho myself this morning and the times listed above are the exact times off his tacho and the same modes as well.

He’s at the top of my agent’s favourites list and has an excellent work history, so there is no reason for the client to be trying to get rid of him.

Rob K:

smcaul:

It was an agency job yes. I have seen the guys tacho myself this morning and the times listed above are the exact times off his tacho and the same modes as well.

He’s at the top of my agent’s favourites list and has an excellent work history, so there is no reason for the client to be trying to get rid of him.

Sounds like someone has got the hump with him for summat …I can;t see how he could do it any quicker…sounds like a stitch up to me .

Rob K:
The night shift manager changed the 11 hrs to 9 hrs and told him he was only getting paid for 9 hrs as that’s how long their own drivers take

I’ve had this a few times. My standard response is “Is that doing it legally?” which usually results in much looking at the desk and a long silence followed by a kind of admission that it isn’t.

AT MOST, he’s half an hour more than it’d be possible to do that run on that night with the delays which ALL of the drivers would havehad.

Oh, and assuming the agency only paid 9hrs, it’d be interesting to work out the hourly rate of the job dividing the 9hrs he got paid by the 11 hrs he did. Could be on a sticky wicket if it falls below the NMW or what is on his contract.

Absolutely unreal. Is the agent (agency) going to support his hours claim? I refused to work for Securicor Omega because they deduct an hours break 45 mins is bad enough. If i was you i would refuse to work there and tell them exactly why.

in a way i can see where the clients coming from, probaby saw the 30 min break at 35a as hanging the job out but whats all this doc an hours money for a legally required break bit?? whats that all about? the blokes at work, he’s in charge of their wagon he wants paying ffs!
reading between the lines, the regular drivers are working the tacho a bit and getting back for like 5.00, still getting their ten hours money in so the “boss” expects it of everyone else.
never done agency work but personally i wouldn’t have left the office until they’d signed for ten hours minimum.

Mike-C:
Absolutely unreal. Is the agent (agency) going to support his hours claim? I refused to work for Securicor Omega because they deduct an hours break 45 mins is bad enough. If i was you i would refuse to work there and tell them exactly why.

When we do nights for SOE (now DHL) they do indeed deduct an hours break, but you actually get about 3 hours break, to sleep, read paper what ever. Can’t really complain about that. :laughing:

On days you get your hours. lunch although the other week, it was quiet and i had a four and a half hour lunch break! :laughing:

How many K’s is it Rob? 550+? By my reckoning you would be pushed to do it in 10 hours legally.

smcaul:

thats the game stu.

dennisw1:
When we do nights for SOE (now DHL) they do indeed deduct an hours break, but you actually get about 3 hours break, to sleep, read paper what ever. Can’t really complain about that. :laughing:

On days you get your hours. lunch although the other week, it was quiet and i had a four and a half hour lunch break! :laughing:

DHL Hatfield deduct an hours break but on virtually every job I’ve done for them I’ve had a least 3 hours in breaks. On the four days I worked for them this week I had six hours of break each day and it will be potentially the same for six days next week. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Under those circumstances I’m not complaining. :wink: Asda Bedford deduct 45 minutes.

As far as Rob’s question goes, I think they are being totally unreasonable. They want him to do it in 9 hours including the 1 hour break? I would say that isn’t going to be possible, given traffic and roadworks.

Coffeeholic:

dennisw1:

DHL Hatfield deduct an hours break but on virtually every job I’ve done for them I’ve had a least 3 hours in breaks. On the four days I worked for them this week I had six hours of break each day and it will be potentially the same for six days next week. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Under those circumstances I’m not complaining. :wink: Asda Bedford deduct 45 minutes.

I must admit though i wish they’d give us a different bay rather than the same one all the time. It gets boreing looking at a Bookers logo all night and it’s a long walk down to the canteen. God it’s a tough job. :laughing:

Coffeeholic:

dennisw1:

I have worked for a couple of firms that take one hour but insist that you take the hour as your break it is not from a penny pinching angle because I had up to 5 hours on occasions waiting for a load…now to me on nights that is manner from heaven I am tucked up asleep or reading or both and theyb give me a knock when the load is ready …Jeeze how can you moan about that…how many jobs are there out there that would do that.

Its all about balance I think…so if the client wants to take an hour pay to ensure I stay the right side of the law and his Olicence is OK then fine…but after eight hours its time and half happy days :wink:

dennisw1:
I must admit though i wish they’d give us a different bay rather than the same one all the time. It gets boreing looking at a Bookers logo all night and it’s a long walk down to the canteen. God it’s a tough job. :laughing:

Catch the minibus when it drives round, save the legs. :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

What time are you there and what bay number. I’ll be in there Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday night about 20:00.

I rarely do nights to be honest, i’m only the relief driver, and they only use me when they’re desparate, as they have to lose me for about 2 ‘days’

Our usual Bay is 54 (Canterbury) Normally Tracey (Scania W&D), Chris (Actros W&D) or Tony (MAN 18t although they swap about a little bit) will be up there on rotating shifts.

TBH i dont think i’ve ever seen that Vito minibus thing leave the gate. I have paralell parked down between the units outside reception before now, but it can be a pain to do and often just as easy to walk, besides the walking it good for you. Just it takes ages as you have to watch out for Shunters and people pulling off bays when you’re walking past them.

Another attempt at cost cutting by a giant company. :smiling_imp:

i’ve never heard nothin like it, you take the wagon back, curtains cut and load gone =
boss “how did that happen?”
driver “don’t know guv, it was in that hour i wasn’t working” :confused:

hollywood:
How many K’s is it Rob? 550+? By my reckoning you would be pushed to do it in 10 hours legally.

if you look at driving time, he’s done it both ways in well under 4.5 hours, no doubt the regular drivers run straight down, swop trailers and then stick it on break for a 45 and then run back, probably aren’t as keen on doing checks etc before they set off and are back for 4-4.30 which you can see if they’re guaranteed ten hours money job n knock. then the agency fella comes in does the job properly, in his eyes, and the manager thinks he’s taking the mick when he puts a time sheet in for eleven hours.

paul b:

hollywood:

if you look at driving time, he’s done it both ways in well under 4.5 hours, no doubt the regular drivers run straight down, swop trailers and then stick it on break for a 45 and then run back, probably aren’t as keen on doing checks etc before they set off and are back for 4-4.30 which you can see if they’re guaranteed ten hours money job n knock. then the agency fella comes in does the job properly, in his eyes, and the manager thinks he’s taking the mick when he puts a time sheet in for eleven hours.

Correct Paul. Their drivers generally start at 1800. They come in at 1755 and are driving out of the yard with their trailer at 1800 :open_mouth: .

By the way, the mileage was 650kms.

I’ll find out the outcome of whether my agent backed the guy up later on today, so will report back then. I’m glad to see it’s not just me that thinks it’s unreasonable though. :confused:

Sounds like the firm is completely out of order to me - be interested to hear on the follow up.

G