Whats reasonable?

Hi Guys
A little senario for ya, lets see what u think ?.

A Driver starts at 5am on locals in a truck with a sleeper.
At 12 he gets kicked out of sleeper at told hes going somewhere 3.5 hours drive away bearing in mind hes 7 hours in to a shift with a total drivng time of 7hrs left.
Witch obviously hes got to do a 15hr? which he was not warned about no proir notice.

Where would he stand on refuseing the run?
Is it legal to plan anything over a 13hr for a driver?

lets not go stating the obvious here.

Daross:
Hi Guys
A little senario for ya, lets see what u think ?.

A Driver starts at 5am on locals in a truck with a sleeper.
At 12 he gets kicked out of sleeper at told hes going somewhere 3.5 hours drive away bearing in mind hes 7 hours in to a shift with a total drivng time of 7hrs left.
Witch obviously hes got to do a 15hr? which he was not warned about no proir notice.

Where would he stand on refuseing the run?

Do you usually do nights out ?

I can see no reason why the company should not plan a reduced daily rest however sending someone on a 7 hour driving round trip when he’s only got 7 hours driving time left would be ridiculous unless the driver was prepared for a night out.

First thing is does he even have enough driving hours left to complete the run? If not, where is he expected to sleep etc, also if he was told he was on locals he would not have expected a N/O and wouldn’t have his kit with him, may have reasonably expected to be home and made plans for that.
It does sound like an unreasonable request to me. Now I know I don’t know all the facts and sometimes ---- happens and we all have to pull together and get the job sorted, however, I always react much better if I’m asked rather than told which seems to be the case here.
I always carry my kit with me at all times and it’s just a case of getting it out the motor so that’s no issue, nor the mrs as she has got pretty used to me going for a ‘couple of days’ work and coming back 2 months later if that’s the way things happened, but I do know how lucky I am there…

Its not me but a co-worker.
Do you think it would be unreasonable for the driver to refuse the run?
Where would he stand if he had refused it?
Is it legal for planner to plan a fifteen hr?

Daross:

Ok mate, sorry to state the obvious but yes its legal !! :smiley:

Daross:
Its not me but a co-worker.
Do you think it would be unreasonable for the driver to refuse the run?
Where would he stand if he had refused it?
Is it legal for planner to plan a fifteen hr?

That is what a good planner would do with a driver who has the available hours. He may have a driver who has already used his three reduced rest periods in his last 6 shifts

I thought a 15 hr spread means using a reduced sleep, as in an 11 hr reduced to 9 as 15 hrs working means you only have 9 lest to sleep in that 24 hr period. Now I was under the impression that the DRIVER can reduce this if he wants, not a TM’s decision? Now I do understand that we have to work together a bit on these matters and a them and us situation is usually not a good idea, but I always save a 15 for fridays as you know the roads are crap and everything takes far longer, therefore it would have to be an exceptional circumstances for me to use it to counteract PPP(**** poor planning)
There is a saying in the racing world, PPPPPP or the 6 P’s, ‘Perfect preparation prevents **** poor performance’ (which too often gets turned into the alternative ‘**** poor preparation prevented perfect performance’). Maybe a few planners need to get to know it.

On another similar subject, I have never understood why a planner who far too often gives a driver an unrealistic work schedule isn’t hauled in front of the TA along with a driver daft enough to try and get away with doing it.

DoYouMeanMe?:
I thought a 15 hr spread means using a reduced sleep, as in an 11 hr reduced to 9 as 15 hrs working means you only have 9 lest to sleep in that 24 hr period. Now I was under the impression that the DRIVER can reduce this if he wants, not a TM’s decision?

You are under the wrong impression, the TM can plan for a driver to use a reduced rest, if the driver has one available, legally under the tachograph rules and the ‘only a driver can choose to reduce’ thing is just a driver’s myth as far as the tacho rules go.