Under pressure! What do you think of this dilema?

Hello everyone

For those of you who read my newby post/introduction you will know I work for a large logistics company and I am doing my C+E test on the 27th of July (self funded). Im devastated at the moment because we have been put on redundancy notice and Ive been told if I pass they can almost guarantee me a C+E job on evenings thats paying around 23k. Ive also been told if I fail then I’m more than likely out of a job. I just felt like I had to tell someone about it as I’m gutted. So the 27th isn’t just a C+E test its also a job or no job situation. I really feel like I’m on my own on this as I have had no support from my employer whatsoever.

I originally saved up 2k for my training and passed my C first attempt in June but with funds now running low I can’t afford to fail either way as I won’t have the cash for a retest if the worst happens and won’t have a job.

What is it with employers? They won’t invest anything in people. I have always had a perfect work record where ever I have worked and you get rewarded nothing. Do you think I have good reason to complain? I dunno it always seems a constant battle. Sorry for the moan.

Cheers Nige

Talk about pressure! - I don’t envy you at all Nige.

Good luck on D-Day.

An employer will not spend on investment if they can get a ready qualified person in their area - if CE drivers are in short supply then they will but as a last resort

Yep afraid its called market forces, companies will not pay out when they can get someone else to do the job and it doesnt cost them extra monies for training and insurance etc etc.

Whilst not wishing the worst on you would it not be possible to use some of your “redundancy monies” OR when you sign on you could get a grant from the DSS or what ever it is called for them to put you through the Class 1 I know that the training company I used had a quite a few unemployed people that the DSS had sent for C and C+E Or another thing is there a Driver Hire agency near you … they will fund you through the Class 1 they will then guarantee you x amount of hours so that you can pay them back at an agreed cost per week.

I know that the above is off topic but just a few ideas and I hope that everything goes well for you.

You can still get decent Class2 work so its not all doom and gloom though.

Not all doom and gloom :slight_smile:
My boss had a visit from the owner of a local driver agency and he was looking at prices so he could lend (interest free) his drivers the money to take C or CE and he would accept repayment from their wages at a reasonable & affordable rate each week. the offer was not dependant on the drivers staying with him but they would be legally liable to repay the loan if they left his agency - sounds fair to me.

As tobytyke says, you’re still armed with a class 2 licence. One of those with the right attitude can get you a decent job. As one door closes…

Hi Guys

yes true I still have my class 2 to fall back on and I have all my flt licenses inc vna so I should be ok. I have my heart set on C+E though and am determined to pass. What I have done is put a little back up plan in place. My test is on the 27th but I have a retest date of the 1st of aug just incase I fail. If I pass I don’t need to pay for the retest as they only need a days notice to cancel. I’ll let you guys know how I get on. My training starts on the 19th.

Cheers guys

Nige,
Wherebouts in Oldistan you from, I live behind the Chaddy Park inn :sunglasses:

There is a fair amount of work around here if your prepared to look for it, Get your Class 1 and your laughing.
Who is it your working for at the moment?

Hi bubble I think you need to be on the dole for at least 6 months to get free training from the dss and I aint willing to go down that road thanks for the info though. I’ll be ok as I’m determined to pass.

Hey B1 GGK I live just off hollins road behind jack spratts chippy mate. I have been looking at class 2 jobs and to be honest the pay doesn’t reflect the job. I was dissapointed when I saw how low the pay was on most class 2. Don’t get me wrong I’m a newby class 2 driver so I’m under no illusion that I’d be at the bottom of the agency pile at the moment. But we all have to start somewhere :smiley:

Cheers Nige

AFAIAA the dss treat you differently with regards to training if you’ve been made redundant or at least they used to.

although that might only be for mass redundancies. :cry:
either way its worth checking out