Trying to keep healthy and watch your weight

I was just reading the link on the my mate told me thread about the bus company that has put a 23 stone weight limit on there drivers due to the swl of the drivers seat on the bus.
I like the most hgv drivers these days dont have a job that requires much physical effort and have put on a bit of weight since i started doing the job not nowhere near 23 stone though.
I have in the last couple of months joined the gym and cut down on the booze and cut down snacking on sweets etc and lost a stone but want to lose a couple more. Im lucky that my job has pretty regular hours and im home every night so can get to the gym easily and can rely on getting a healthy breakfast and evening meal but do struggle during the day as i like to get out of the truck for my break and its hard to always find something healthy and also not to snack when bored in traffic or waitng to load etc.
I was wondering how other drivers get on with watching there weight and excercising especaily guys who are away all week.

If you live not too far from the yard you could try cycling to work.I am overweight as well and think that riding the bike helps, but I still eat too much!

Its a 17 mile journey and involves the dartford tunnel but i would if it was a bit nearer.

Going by what you say about the weight limit kr79 ,Globby 480 wouldn`t be able to get a job driving buses :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

You better hope he dont look onhere lol

although I am nowhere near 23 stone, I have been putting on weight slowly since I left the Army 25 years ago, I changed my job to removals to try to get more exercise, but that didn’t help. I am about 3 stone overweight and can’t see a way of me losing it while I am in my current job.
We all know the odd hours, being somewhere different each night, not having proper shower facilities, parked on Motorway services etc etc don’t make regular exercise easy, then there is the food on offer, nearly all eating places are of the fast food variety and cooking your own is only feasible when you finish work at a reasonable time and if you have the chance to shop for the right food or have a good size fridge and more than just a gas ring… It is a losing battle, and I think until I am working normal hours and parked at home or somewhere regular where I can organise my life things won’t change for me

jimti:
although I am nowhere near 23 stone, I have been putting on weight slowly since I left the Army 25 years ago, I changed my job to removals to try to get more exercise, but that didn’t help. I am about 3 stone overweight and can’t see a way of me losing it while I am in my current job.
We all know the odd hours, being somewhere different each night, not having proper shower facilities, parked on Motorway services etc etc don’t make regular exercise easy, then there is the food on offer, nearly all eating places are of the fast food variety and cooking your own is only feasible when you finish work at a reasonable time and if you have the chance to shop for the right food or have a good size fridge and more than just a gas ring… It is a losing battle, and I think until I am working normal hours and parked at home or somewhere regular where I can organise my life things won’t change for me

Typical ex-reg, soon as they don´t have someone shouting at them they go to seed! :laughing: :laughing: Join the TA, they´ll sort you out!

Of course there are jobs that give a bit of exercise. I did about 8 months doing carpets, a lot of hand-ball into small stores etc. By the time I finished that I had pretty good arms and shoulders.

Biscuits:
Typical ex-reg, soon as they don´t have someone shouting at them they go to seed! :laughing: :laughing: Join the TA, they´ll sort you out!

Of course there are jobs that give a bit of exercise. I did about 8 months doing carpets, a lot of hand-ball into small stores etc. By the time I finished that I had pretty good arms and shoulders.

LOL…I think I’m a bit old even for the TA :blush:
Removals is hard graft, but when you factor in all the cups of tea and sticky buns the work counts for nothing, I have great upper body strength and leg muscles like a body builder, but a belly like big daddy :blush:

I’ve been driving for roughly 3yrs and put a stone on.

I don’t do snack bars, try to keep my sarnies relatively low fat, don’t snack during the day and walk the dog anywhere between 1 and 3 times a day - 75% of my work involves quite a bit of handball. My concern is what’s going to happen when I start getting regular class 1 work, I’m after trunking with occasional nights out if possible.

Time to pack the ■■■■ in and start doing a bit of running methinks.

I’m 5’2 and used to weigh 20 stone. I lost 10 stone, 5 of that while tramping. All you need is a pair of trainers and to make the best choices from the crap food on offer. There are very few places where you can’t run anywhere. I’ve run round truck stops, services and even just round and round the truck or on the spot! A skipping rope is another excellent piece of kit for mobile work-outs.

Obviously you need to work within your own capabilities and always consult a doctor before embarking on a fitness regime :wink:

Grumpybum (Personal Trainer desperate to get back on the road!!!) :cry:

go on holiday to the states, you might not lose any weight but you’ll realise you’re not as fat as you thought you were :smiley:

ha you’ll feel positively slim over the states :laughing:

Well down grumpybum, that is seriously awesome. i do believe if you get in the right mindset to do something, you will do it; trouble is that you feel you ought to do something, but can’t quite be a**ed.

I’ve been on the Dukan diet, which is basically a lot of protein, really limited carbs and the weight dropped off me to start with - stone and a half in 6 weeks and that included not being 100% with it. Found Atkins bars - the brownie/cookie variety and they really help to con yourself into thinking you are having a treat.

As for exercise, I know a guy tha takes his bike with him - out four nights a week and he goes for a cycle weather permitting at night. I prefer a walk myself - it’s rare you can’t fit at least half an hour in.

grumpybum:
I’m 5’2 and used to weigh 20 stone. I lost 10 stone, 5 of that while tramping. All you need is a pair of trainers and to make the best choices from the crap food on offer. There are very few places where you can’t run anywhere. I’ve run round truck stops, services and even just round and round the truck or on the spot! A skipping rope is another excellent piece of kit for mobile work-outs.

Obviously you need to work within your own capabilities and always consult a doctor before embarking on a fitness regime :wink:

Grumpybum (Personal Trainer desperate to get back on the road!!!) :cry:

Well done mate thats good going. When i first read your post i thought id be worried about people thinking i was mad running or skipping round a truck park but ten thought it doesnt matter its your wellbeing that matters most.

I have two simple rules for healthy eating.

1 - Get as many different colours on the plate as you can.
2 - Don’t eat anything you’d expect to find at a kiddies party - unless you’re at a kiddies party.

Weight gain is one of the hazards of the job for some of us, i put on a few stone in the 5 years i did euro work, since being unemployed i packed in the cigs , and after being told that my blood pressure was on the rise by my g.p. i cut out adding salt and sugar and changed my diet totally,even went the gym on that fitness program, my blood pressure has reduced and i have lost 2 of the 4 stone i put on in the last 12mths ,i also will walk almost everywhere instead of using the car

After I finished my handball jobs and moved to driving vans, I have no excercise at all, which is worried. I already gained a beer belly back :frowning:

I have to start cycle to work, also I decided to change my diet. It’s problematic, as I also want to eat at least one warm meal a day, and everything I can find are some greasy fast food, so I decided that kebab with lot of vegs and no sauce is the safest choice in this circumstances.

I moved sweets and snacks away, I try to eat only the healthly food at home, and instead of eating tons of sandwiches, I decided to cheat my hunger with some wholefoods - seeds, nuts etc.

I hope it helps…

Also, I decided to go for regular walks every evening and plan to go to the swimming pool much more often.

mutley:
go on holiday to the states, you might not lose any weight but you’ll realise you’re not as fat as you thought you were :smiley:

You’re not wrong mate, I regularly see people who are a fried chicken away from a heart attack over here, one thing that doesn’t help are the ‘all you can shove in your pie hole’ buffets (Big Ugly Fat F’ers Eating Together) it’s an epidemic over here, it’s easy to get fat, I myself have put on a few pounds (Neal T, before you start, people in glasshouses… :laughing: ) I do try to eat healthily, but it’s the 11hrs sitting on my arse driving all day that have done for me, it’s difficult to do anything but walk around the truckstop, America is just not geared up for pedestrians, most places only have a pavement in the town center, so wandering around is not an option because there’s nowhere to park & a lot of town/city centers are not exactly places to go for a stroll unless you have a bullet proof vest :unamused: I do try & park as far away from where I need to go, whether that’s a resturaunt or delivery/collection office, but then the weather fights me, it’s either as hot as hell (46c today) or ridiculously cold & snowing, so I’m doomed to never seeing my feet again it would seem :cry:

The one thing that is worth considering is the link from obesity to sleep apnea, a lot of the big firms over here test their drivers during the hiring process if they meet certain criteria, namely are they fat bstards, then they have a sleep study & if they fail they have to get a CPAP machine, this is an oxygen mask they wear whilst asleep so that they don’t die :unamused: You’d think that only being able to sleep & breathe at the same time with the help of a machine may just encourage you to swerve the pies, but nope, not here, as long as you have a CPAP you keep your licence :unamused: There is a mandate coming out from the government that will require every driver to be tested if their BMI exceeds a certain, as yet unknown, level & if it happens here, then it’ll happen there, only the tossers in Brussels won’t be as accomodating so you’ll probably lose your licence.

Just as an aside, I recently heard a driver call into a trucker’s radio show, he was moaning that him & his wife had been fired because they were overweight, they were both over 400lb (around 30stone give or take) so they were properly overweight, but it wasn’t because of the health implications, they were fired because they had to keep leaving pallets on the loading dock as their combined weight made the load to heavy for their truck :laughing:

kr79:
I was wondering how other drivers get on with watching there weight and excercising especaily guys who are away all week.

Fell walking :wink:

leyland510:

kr79:

I ‘Fell Walking’ across the Costco RDC on Wednesday… does that count! (Lost 2 pounds as well!)

leyland510:

kr79:

Sadly this is pretty pointless - unless of course you enjoy it.

Medium big guy (100kg) decides to grab a munro after breakfast (climb a hill bigger than 3,000 feet).

That’s 10 x 100 x 1000 joules One Million joules of energy!

How big should the bacon buttie be?

One million joules = 250Kcal - or in bacon buttie terms, a poor thin wee thing.