Weight gain

Evening all.

Since being a trucker I have put on a few pounds. I’m not massive but I’m not too happy with the body at the moment. Do any of you guys/girls have this problem?

I was alright until I moved away from the West Midlands. When I lived there it made much more sense to commute on a bicycle; doing the thick end of 25 miles every day kept my waist trim. Since I’ve moved to the arse end of nowhere it’s got more difficult, but I’ve recently taken up running and it’s made a lot of difference.
The trick is to recognise that driving is a sedentary activity, and there isn’t much healthy food available on the road. Steer clear of the bacon butties and Cornish pasties, do some exercise on your time off and you should be ok.

what’s a trucker :question:
I am a wagon driver :smiley:
Not obese tho so cant really help :smiley:

I lost a lot of weight when I started looking after and organising the storage of hundreds of FLT’s and to be honest I have still lost a few pounds since moving to driving the wagon for the last three or four weeks.
I take butties in for dinner and fruit and maybe once a week treat myself to the full English :wink: (its the law apparently) but I have to do a lot of lashing FLT’s down a good few times a day and jump on and off the wagon rather than walk up and down the ramp (yer yer yer H&S)
I aint in bad nick for a 48 year old and even my Mum who I saw today said I am looking good, she always tells me I am gaining weight :unamused: :laughing:
In fact I may go back to walking up mountains again rather than using my 4x4 currently :laughing:

Anyway, I eat/drink crap most weekends, thats my downfall :blush:

Don’t go on containers lol , the only workout I get is winding legs up and down and the occasional pallet truck job , take my own food with me and have a couple of pieces of fruit a day and only drink water , I don’t think my diet is that bad (could be better) but it’s lack of exercise , when I do get time off I usually can’t be botherd lol especially now the weather is getting colder

I’ve put a fair bit of weight on in just 4 months and I’m not too happy about it. I don’t eat unhealthy but I think I’m simply eating too much and doing too little exercise. Even lugging the cages off the back if the wagon doesn’t help. I’m seriously thinking of either starting to run each morning although there’s a history in my family of bad knees (I’m ok so far) and running isn’t good for the knees. I’m thinking of buying a bike and doing a few miles each day, there’s a nature reserve near me which has various hills etc and it’s something I used to do all the time which kept me really trim.

Smoggie89:
and only drink water

Same here though I have the obligatory red bull about 13.00hs when I start flagging :blush: :laughing: :laughing:

Drift:

Smoggie89:
and only drink water

Same here though I have the obligatory red bull about 13.00hs when I start flagging :blush: :laughing: :laughing:

Haha I have orange diluted now n then at work but mainly water , when I’m home have fresh orange/apple etc , but on the night it’s usually takeaways lol

How far is it to your work, Tarman? The best way to cycle for exercise is to fit it into your daily routine. If you drive to work on Monday morning and take four changes of clothes with you, you won’t even have to carry a change of clothes on the bike. And if there are showers at your yard, you’re laughing.

Rhythm Thief:
How far is it to your work, Tarman? The best way to cycle for exercise is to fit it into your daily routine. If you drive to work on Monday morning and take four changes of clothes with you, you won’t even have to carry a change of clothes on the bike. And if there are showers at your yard, you’re laughing.

It’s too far matey, it’s about 17 miles one way. I used to cycle to work but it was 8 miles each way which was do-able. 34 miles a day is too much and it would take too long. If I lived closer I’d do it in a heartbeat as I used to love it but alas it’s just too far.

Smoggie89:
Don’t go on containers lol , the only workout I get is winding legs up and down and the occasional pallet truck job , take my own food with me and have a couple of pieces of fruit a day and only drink water , I don’t think my diet is that bad (could be better) but it’s lack of exercise , when I do get time off I usually can’t be botherd lol especially now the weather is getting colder

+1

Tarrman:

Rhythm Thief:

It’s too far matey, it’s about 17 miles one way. I used to cycle to work but it was 8 miles each way which was do-able. 34 miles a day is too much and it would take too long. If I lived closer I’d do it in a heartbeat as I used to love it but alas it’s just too far.

I know what you mean … when I was in my 20s, I used to cycle 25 miles each way to work and think nothing of it. Now I’m in my 40s, 18 miles each way is just too much. And I really don’t want to have to get changed in the filthy Potakabin bogs at our yard, which is what I would have to do. :neutral_face:
Running is fun though, and doesn’t take up too much time. I bought a Garmin FR10 watch to track my runs and it’s done wonders for my motivation to get out there.

Toonarmy:
Evening all.

Since being a trucker I have put on a few pounds. I’m not massive but I’m not too happy with the body at the moment. Do any of you guys/girls have this problem?

I DO NOT have a belly, it’s my ■■■■■■■■ & it won’t fit inside my trousers.

Now that my knuckles drag along the ground, I do find it helps to keep them free of too much hair tho’.

It’s the licking of windows I can’t handle, especially these mornings when everything gets covered in condensation.

My tongue hurts :frowning: .

Its not so much what you eat but how much. I survive on a coffee before I start, a sarny and another coffee around 10.30 am. Then mid afternoon another coffee and maybe a small choccy bar or bag of peanuts if I start to flag, topping up with sugar free flavoured water throughout the day to take the edge off any appetite. I finish the day with a full nosh up of whatevers going (Fish&Chips, Maccy Ds, Burgler King etc) when I park up and I seem to be able to keep my weight stable.
I did go through a period eating lots of fruit, but shockingly put weight on until I read that although fruit is natural, its also full of sugar, Doh :confused:

Chas:

Toonarmy:
Evening all.

I DO NOT have a belly, it’s my ■■■■■■■■ & it won’t fit inside my trousers.

Now that my knuckles drag along the ground, I do find it helps to keep them free of too much hair tho’.

It’s the licking of windows I can’t handle, especially these mornings when everything gets covered in condensation.

My tongue hurts :frowning: .

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: classy :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Toonarmy:
Evening all.

No, but I do have an overwhelming urge to read ‘The Sun’ newspaper whilst talking bollox in RDC waiting rooms.

The pasty vans that are at a lot of Msa’ s now have a large pasty that is over 3000 calories.An average male needs 2500 calories per day.
There is hidden junk/calories in food we think is healthy.
Some drinks have loads of sugar.
Ditch the latte coffees for black coffee.
Kfc/McD’s or a pizza once a week maybe.
Drink lots of water.
With the urge to eat crisps and chocalate,keep raisins or nuts in the cab to nibble on.
When parked up,get out of the cab for a stroll.
In Strensham Msa you can walk to both the north and south bound by the lanes.
At Cherwell Valley you can walk out of the truck parking to a hamlet called Hardwick.Pub there with log fire.No pies or sausage rolls.

I think trying to eat at the right times and like above the right portions helps , Ino it’s not always possible but there is nothing worse than going how ever many hours then eating crap from a garage before getting in the bunk , the life of a trucker eh

Smoggie mate, thats my life when the Mrs is late home from work :laughing: :laughing:

Drift:
Smoggie mate, thats my life when the Mrs is late home from work :laughing: :laughing:

Haha , I think a lot of people on here are in the same boat :stuck_out_tongue: