Tramping

Ok, thinking ahead now as I have not even sat my theory yet (Weds 30th) being a new driver, am I more likely to get work Tramping? I have no real problems camping out and I am keen to see as much of the country as possible. Is this the answer for a new driver? Would rather work for one employer , so agency work is not on the cards and also rather fancy having my own truck that I can equip to my tastes- Plasma screen etc ( they do make them in 24v dont they?).
Thought about the Tesco, Asda etc. but regular routes aint my thing either.

I am based near Colchester so am close to Felixtowe, Harwich, Tilbury .Any recomendations for Employers?

I don’t know if you are more likely to get work tramping, but I do agree with you idea of going to work for a company instead of agency work. I think gives you a chance to learn one job. Once you get your licence, the best thing to do would be go and knock on the doors of haulage companies. Try and find the smaller one tucked away on farms and things, as they won’t have the recruitment policy and are more likely to go tramping.
I did have an interview with Brinor, didn’t take the job because the pay and kit weren’t upto what I would expect, but the company seemed quite friendly and easy going. So it might be a good place to start, but don’t expect the latest top spec truck and top money.

Good luck with the theory test and
all the best for the future Rewmer :smiley:

If you are married and have an understanding missus then i say go for it coz it is valuable experience especially if its Gen Haulage where you will carry cakes one day and steel the next but be warned its not all fun and games if its camping out you want join the cub scouts :laughing:

you will have no prob finding tramping work its bosses who cant get trampers let me know when you pass your test i will give you a dozen phone numbers and they will all take you on quick as that

Thanks Harry - will bear that in mind