Tramping or Day Work

Just putting this out there for the wide audience.

If you were to employ a newbie, would someone who was willing to go tramping be a better proposition than someone who was only wanting day work?

After a disheartening day of TM’s giving me the brush off, it got me thinking whether I am pushing the right buttons.

I gave them all a copy of my CV and a quick 5-10 mins chat with each. They all seemed interested to know more about me.

I did not push my desire to do either any more than the other.

I would love to be out 5-6 days a week with nights out in between. I was almost tramping with my last employer. Out Monday, back late Tuesday. Swap boxes, Out Wed and Back Late Friday. Pretty much left to own devices so long as I get through the list. Just a shame that they laid all agency drivers off before Christmas and are not taking any on f/t.

So as a potential employer, would I be a good proposition as a potential tramper?

Your willing to do both I would have thought that if they want to employ you and they have work on ur ticking all the right boxes your saying I’m flexible and willing to work hard , that’s someone employable to me I think things just a bit slow as always in January and should pick up soon

Jen x

Someone who doesnt mind what thype of work they will do, and what they drive (as long as its legal). Thats what im like anyway

charliebear:
Someone who doesnt mind what thype of work they will do, and what they drive (as long as its legal). Thats what im like anyway

This^

If our TM gets an enquiry from a driver who wants to be away all week he will always turn them down.

Our main customers are all in our area so it’s inevitable the trucks come home once or twice a week (something I love).

The TM has told me he gets fed up with the arguments from the blokes who want to be away all week and the traffic dictates the truck should come home.

That and actually getting most hard bitten, dyed in the wool trampers to do anything more than the absolute minimum is worse than drawing teeth.

The best approach is to be flexible when you apply for a job. If the terms are fair and you can establish yourself, you’ll get the job you want from the inside.

Good luck on the job hunt,

W