New to the site. And need advice!

Evening ladies and gents.
A little introduction I’m Rob, 21 and have my class 1 licence just under a year now. Previously worked for Tuffnells and currently work for Gist.
A possible opportunity for me has come about to do tramping. I was just trying to get some advice as to weather it’s worth it? Or the novelty wears off and it’s still enjoyable?

I know the only real way to find out is to do it. But I’m just trying to gather some advice from people in the know.

Cheers anyway!

1st thing are you married or in a steady relationship with kids ?
2nd Do you like your own company ?
I’m 40 and single so tramping suits me but I only do 2 nights ave a week in ridged
The novelty only wears off when you’ve had a ■■■■■ week or boss says can you do one more night and you’ve done 3 that week already
All I can say is try it at least if you don’t like it go back to day work

As been said . it can be fun to start but then your going to have to plan well for parking where you going to have a wash p or dump etc and as parking is becoming harder i wouldn’t bother again.
and then you have the its 300 a week and 20 a night out … the night out aint a wage for staying in the truck as a security guard

Is this one of the better paid roles in the Industry?

Thanks for the replies. As it stands I live at home and my girlfriend is at university in York. She comes home every other weekend or when she can. I’m trying to save up as much money as I can while she is at university so when she has graduated we can look for Our own house. I do enjoy being on my own and I also have an iPad and other gizmos where I can watch films and stuff so that doesn’t really bother me.

I wouldn’t say it was better paid than anyone else but it’s just someone who is willing to give me a chance and at my age I’m trying to get as much experience as I can while I can

Cheers Rob

In the summer it ■■■■■ unless you have one of those fancy new FH’s or a bolt on AC kit.

99% sure that it will affect your relationship, the Lady’s don’t like you being away for most of the week, they find ‘Things’ to do while you are away, a couple of nights a week isn’t too bad, but all week is a game changer.

I’ve been tramping just over 3 month now.I had my reservations before i started but most of them have proved unfounded.

Like most other things in life it gets easier the more you do it.Once you know the decent places to park up for the night and have got yourself the kit that will make life a little more comfortable you won’t go far wrong.

Depends where you are in relation to your G/F who is in York

If it was me I would go for it & if you don’t like or it don’t suit you you can always go back to days

But as said you will have to find places to park etc it won’t take long for you to build up some of your own but just done ask me a I won’t say where I park up

I am off the road atm due to an accident I had a few mth back but gutting there

The Bottle Blonde kicked me out of the front door one Monday morning telling me not to be a mard arse and don’t come back until Friday! I was a right poobag because I was worried about where to park overnight, get a shower and get food. Ten years later and still got lots to learn and every week is a new adventure. I’ve not got all the kit, just what I need. Ignore all the threads about the essential cab gear, build up what you want over time.
Regarding parking for the night, ask other drivers or on here someone has always got somewhere in some town or city. Or use the power of the internet.
For a young lad/novice of 21 with no commitments, go and do it, I would have loved the opportunity when I was 21. Have a few years at tramping seeing the country, meeting new people and learning where places are. You never know, a night parked at York to meet the girlfriend.

Thanks for all the replies. Everything helps.
From what people have said I think if it all goes well that I’m going to go for it. What’s the worst that will happen? I’ll absolutely hate it and move back onto day work. I think I’ll enjoy it thought but only time will tell. Thanks everyone!

No commute costs when tramping, but be careful of curtain slashers that make peep holes for high value loads to steal when drivers are asleep.
Fuel thefts, park with the tank on the road side in view of passing traffic .
If stuck somewhere in bad weather or waiting for a reload, most drivers have a cartridge camping gas cooker to make a meal or hot drink .
A good quality Thermos can save money on Msa price hike coffees .
A winter and summer tog factor duvet .

Well unfortunately the job fell through. So I’ll just carry on days for now. But everything said will be taken on board for future.
Cheers