Do Newbies still want to go Tramping?

Just a quick question and this is the best place on the forum for it, because I’m aiming at people who are just starting out, rather than old hands.

What kind of work do you see yourself looking for? Would you be prepared to start on a Sunday afternoon or Monday morning and then be away all week? Would you be prepared to spend weekends away? Or are you aiming to do a shift at work and then go home?

I’m asking because I will probably be putting a few trucks on the road next year and have always said that I would prefer new drivers with no bad habits who could be trained to do the job the way I wanted it to be done, but I am not even sure if anybody wants to do that sort of work any more, being away all week or for longer periods.

If you are just starting out, what are your thoughts on this?

Yes. Tramping would suit me fine.

So long as truck was reasonably reliable and comfortable that would suit me lovely.

Sounds like you have big plans. Hope they all work out for you :slight_smile:

Myself i wouldnt mind to do day or night work I’m not sold on tramping as I have a young family but saying that i would like to do euro trips as later on in life i want to blag the wife to move over seas :wink:

Weeks? I wouldn’t mind if I was asked to do months away.

Good evening Harry
Well mate my plan was if i had passed my class 1 /cat CE I wanted to get out there tramping and comming home only when I had to but I failed 2 nd time in sept and plans are on hold now untill january 3rd time lucky I hope …But I think that I would suite tramping a lot better than the class 2 work im getting at the moment store work with cages uh :frowning: with the odd day on builders merchants hiab work thrown in Just to keep me happy I think :smiley: I dont mind the store work too much untill I get one where the store has a couple of steps to go up or the manager does not want the cages in his store or stock room …I spend more time unloading than driving then :frowning:
After a long descution with her in doors im going to do my moffet course as well as re take my C.E in January i think the more skills you have on agency work the better the jobs …
Then if I have any money left I may do an ADR or upgrade my Hiab to Remote … :laughing: not much hope of tramping at the moment with class 2 but have had a few night out … but not many as the last few month have been all store jobs poss because of xmas comming soon … :smiley: but its a job and it pays the bills JUST :smiley:
All the best Roy

Harry Monk:
Just a quick question and this is the best place on the forum for it, because I’m aiming at people who are just starting out, rather than old hands.

What kind of work do you see yourself looking for? Would you be prepared to start on a Sunday afternoon or Monday morning and then be away all week? Would you be prepared to spend weekends away? Or are you aiming to do a shift at work and then go home?

I’m asking because I will probably be putting a few trucks on the road next year and have always said that I would prefer new drivers with no bad habits who could be trained to do the job the way I wanted it to be done, but I am not even sure if anybody wants to do that sort of work any more, being away all week or for longer periods.

If you are just starting out, what are your thoughts on this?

Either or would suit me fine, so long as you’re not on your way home and you get a call to go here or there etc. Also as mentioned, as long as the truck were comfy and reliable then I would have no problem with it.

Good luck with your plans, sounds very exciting :slight_smile:

I set out wanting to do Tramping, there are certain aspects of it which make it more appealing. One of the things I have learned over the last few weeks of consistent work though, is that during your training, even the initial CPC you learn how to only do the most basic of things. At work I have learned new things everyday, how to change bulbs/fuses, how to sort airlines out and so on. The help from other drivers/shunters/office staff has been immense and I’m incredibly grateful and see myself as lucky to have got the start I have.

Wanting to take of new drivers is great, generally firms aren’t interested, but we will make mistakes and we will get things wrong, things that you as a long time international driver probably don’t even think about anymore.

Do I still want to be a tramper? Of course, UK, Europe, Canada eventually. Do I think I’m ready to handle that extra responsibility, or many other newly qualified drivers? Not really. I’m sure some would be ready to handle it straight off the bat but many more without the right systems in place would become overwhelmed. You’ll find new drivers willing to do the work, if you have the time to help when the inevitable screw ups start happening.

As long as I’m back every other friday to pick up rugrats from ex-slag, I’d be happy.

so long as you’re not on your way home and you get a call to go here or there etc.

…but that’s the nature of the beast! I used to tramp in Europe inc the former Eastern Bloc. Got to Dunkirk on my return from a 5 week tramp to find out that I’d now got a trailer waiting for me at the docks for Spain and Portugal! Only another couple of weeks.

Don’t ever rely on getting home at any particular time. I’ve missed assorted parties, wedding anniversaries, childbirth even holidays because of the joys of tramping.

But it’s still a great life!! Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Seems to be a trend towards the latter at the moment. But there will always be the adventurers who are prepared to be “proper” trampers who are prepared to sacrifice social lives for the perceived freedom of being down the road.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Tramping sounds great if the wages are right. But the glut of 5/6 days away to spending weeks away for £350/week makes it much less attractive than S/E on days or nights.Just an observation.

Any one prepared to take on newbies on such a basis is likely to have some teething issues yes,but I’d imagine if you provide them with the help needed, you’d end up with a bunch of decent and very loyal drivers.

Good luck if you go for it… :sunglasses:

Sounds just the ticket for me Harry , thats what i,m planning to be doing as soon as ive got the other stuff in my life sorted :unamused: Let us know when and i,ll send a CV :slight_smile: good luck with your plans :slight_smile:

I am being taken on by a person who wants to do the same as you. I just need to get my licences now, but when that is done then I will be driving for him. I’ve always wanted to do tramping, but I never really thought I would do it because I thought I’d struggle to get a job driving anyway. He’s taking me on with me beng 20. He’s trying to teach me as much as he can so I get taught to do things the right way and pick up on problems. It’s a small company but ill be driving a comfortable truck that is very nice. I just hope I don’t dent it!
Good luck with it Harry. Hope it works out for you, you just need to make sure you get the right people to drive.

Peter Smythe:

so long as you’re not on your way home and you get a call to go here or there etc.

…but that’s the nature of the beast! I used to tramp in Europe inc the former Eastern Bloc. Got to Dunkirk on my return from a 5 week tramp to find out that I’d now got a trailer waiting for me at the docks for Spain and Portugal! Only another couple of weeks.

Don’t ever rely on getting home at any particular time. I’ve missed assorted parties, wedding anniversaries, childbirth even holidays because of the joys of tramping.

But it’s still a great life!! Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Maybe I never made myself clear enough, sorry Pete.

My Dad works day shifts, sometimes 5am starts and he’ll be on his way home and he’ll get a call saying oh no you need to run back up there and tip this or that etc. My Dad has tramped Europe more times than I can count. He’s getting on now and he just wants home at the time he’s supposed to be home to be with his kids.

And the point Pete was making is that tramping is not for people that want to clock off at 5pm on a Friday.

nvm

I used to want to be a tramper, after my first week in the job (shift work) i knew that if i had to sleep in my lorry all week I would want to be paid double the hourly rate, that will never happen so I will never be a tramper. I now have a new weekday shift and clock out at 4pm, that’ll do me thanks.

You could say im a part time tramper, dont do a full year of being away from home every week. just most of the year. I do enjoy it but i also do enjoy coming home at xmas time and having it easy.

Tramping isnt for everyone but hey i enjoy it. aslong as you have a good company to work for and good work and frineds dotted around everywhere its all good. if you dont its gonna be a bit {zb}

At 52 i just passed my class 2 on 9th Dec and as long as the job appealed to me i wouldn’t mind what i was doing.
Good luck with your plans

in short harry yes !