My thoughts. First couple weeks driving/tramping

Having passed my class 1 in November I finally got a job doing general haulage tramping, starting last week, this proved fairly difficult to get a job in my area of the country and only being 22 so I took what was offered anyway…

Coming towards the end of week 2, is it to early to question whether tramping is for me? Or if driving work in general is for me.

This may be down to the amount of sleep deprivation I have endured due to finding it very hard to get a full nights sleep in the lorry and obviously the very early starts which I am not yet custom to.

Everyday I feel like I learn something new, which is obviously good right but equally I feel like I’m doing the job as effectively as others. Keeping to the times given by the office and keeping within the hours of work you can do seems a tricky balance.

On the whole other drivers I’ve met on the road and abouts the last couple of weeks have for the majority been fairly helpful and I’m always grateful for advice.

Ultimately my days are full of ups and downs, small victories like getting onto a bay without much fuss or even on time! Then downs where I feel as if I’m lagging behind and forgetting to do something or just being generally not very good.

Obviously most of this I’d imagine comes with experience. Just wanted to know what you more experienced folk thought, and if any of you felt similar when you started.

Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Don’t give too much thought to the time that your office give you for a drop. The job will be planned to within an inch of its life with no thought to traffic, possible delays at previous jobs or the human factor. Not all places are like this but most are. If the office aren’t hassling you over timing and constantly chasing you then don’t worry about it.

When I first started I didn’t enjoy it for a few weeks. I even felt like I was doing so badly at getting into some of the tight spots I went and asked my boss if I could change to nights. My logic being that on nights it will just be easy RDC work rather than going to these places during the day that aren’t designed for artics to get into. He said no, and I’m glad, because staying as I was meant I got the practise and experience in, then I started enjoying it.

Like someone else said, the office sometimes/often plan timings that are near enough impossible. I’ve been very late more than the once with a clear run, and no delays at delivery points just because that’s how long it’s taken to get somewhere plus getting my break in. I later worked out that the timings the planner had given me were impossible even in a car and with no breaks, never mind in a truck and with breaks that needed to be taken,

Just stick with and you’ll probably start enjoying it once your doing everything with your eyes shut.

raxore:

When I started driving hgv in general I felt like I was always chasing my tail and concerned I wasn’t doing as much or working as fast as the regular lads.

But that’s the difference between you and them, the regular lads have been doing it regularly, they know the in’s and out’s.

I hated day work, wanted to get on tramping -my dad did it, my dad’s dad did it, so it’s in the blood.

I started tramping about 9-10 months ago. To begin with it felt like all I was doing was doing just enough to keep my head above water, but you grow into it.

USE A MAP!!! It is the best thing ever. Mark down where you visit and keep a black book with details in, map page number ect ect. You learn and gain knowledge of where you’re going, how long it it takes to get to and from, where to stop…where the best scran vans are.

Just keep on winning them "small victories " , keep the wagon in good nick, take all information given to you, “please and thank yous” go a long way to making life easier and before you know it, you’ll be wondering what you was worrying about.

raxore:
Having passed my class 1 in November I finally got a job doing general haulage tramping, starting last week, this proved fairly difficult to get a job in my area of the country and only being 22 so I took what was offered anyway…

Coming towards the end of week 2, is it to early to question whether tramping is for me? Or if driving work in general is for me.

This may be down to the amount of sleep deprivation I have endured due to finding it very hard to get a full nights sleep in the lorry and obviously the very early starts which I am not yet custom to.

Everyday I feel like I learn something new, which is obviously good right but equally I feel like I’m doing the job as effectively as others. Keeping to the times given by the office and keeping within the hours of work you can do seems a tricky balance.

On the whole other drivers I’ve met on the road and abouts the last couple of weeks have for the majority been fairly helpful and I’m always grateful for advice.

Ultimately my days are full of ups and downs, small victories like getting onto a bay without much fuss or even on time! Then downs where I feel as if I’m lagging behind and forgetting to do something or just being generally not very good.

Obviously most of this I’d imagine comes with experience. Just wanted to know what you more experienced folk thought, and if any of you felt similar when you started.

Thanks.

Just my personal take, never saw the appeal of tramping since you can do night trunking, get the same money, and be in your own bed each night :slight_smile:

Good experience though. Just be careful of people taking liberties and asking you to risk your neck / bust a gut since you’re ‘only’ 22.

the best of luck to you…
its a great job,
it must be, I’ve done it for 39 years…
and I’m still learning…
best advice i can give is " never be afraid to ask "

Rowley010:
Just stick with and you’ll probably start enjoying it once your doing everything with your eyes shut.

Do NOT follow this piece of advice, especially when driving :laughing:

raxore:

Thanks.

you don’t have to do 15 hour shifts, or start when your still tired, take the sleep you need, tomorrows another day employers will run you ragged if you let them, and still claim poverty, ■■ them.
I used to get a great nights sleep in my truck. many years ago

foresttrucker:

raxore:

Thanks.

Just my personal take, never saw the appeal of tramping since you can do night trunking, get the same money, and be in your own bed each night :slight_smile:

eh ■■? in yer own bed each night ■■? doin night trunking. ■■?

The idea of doing the same A to B every night sounds terrible to me, doing the odd night out in a different place suits me better.

eh ■■? in yer own bed each night ■■? doin night trunking. ■■?
[/quote]
It has been stated about doing it with your eyes shut!! Maybe someone is ultra good and can do the job with their eyes shut and from their own bed!!! :laughing: :laughing: :open_mouth:

Even now , after many years driving I still want to be at home on a night with my family , miss chatting with my girl , making sure she’s ok , listening too how she’s getting on as a new nurse , packed up tramping years ago and said I’d never do it again for all the reasons above , I’d love too say you’ll get used too it , but too me its a case some are suited too it some arnt , time will tell for you

raxore:

Thanks.

Every new job type takes time to learn.The manouveres like reversing and getting in and out of tight spots WILL become second nature through time…trust me on that.

As for tramping.
If you even attempt to meet tight or nearhand impossible schedules set from.day 1, you will get them all the time.
Do not allow yourself to be pushed, it will only end bad , coupled with the more you get flustered being new. :bulb:

Set your own sensible pace, do NOT drive tired and do not look upon breaks as something you have to ‘get in’ …use them to freshen up, have a kip or a coffee or both.

You use the phrase ‘sleep deprivation’ that is tired x 10.
Do you HAVE to start at the times you are?
What do you call ‘very early’ ?
The earliest I ever start is 5 to 5.30 and I still get the job done.

Do the job as best you can, do NOT to try and keep up with the ‘Superstar knob heads’ on your firm, …the 2am starters who run the limiter all day and park up on 8.59 everynight to ■■■■ up to the boss, and make a name for themselves
(unfortunately for them the name usually starts with ‘C’ ) …I’ll guarantee you will have them on your firm…(just ignore any ‘advice’ they give you also, it will all be ■■■■■■■■)
Keep your distance from them. :bulb:

Explain to your boss your concerns, remind him you are new, and if he is a reasonable guy he will have a look at your schedules and workload.
I’ve done tramping a while mate, it can be a great job, or a total pain in the arse, but that is determined by how YOU approach, do, and carry it out.

Do not make the mistake as a lot do, by turning it into an endurance test or it will be hell for you. :bulb: :bulb:

If it was me I would give it a bit longer, and decide after getting more proficient at it …and taking good advice. :bulb:

Listen to the old ■■■■ :smiling_imp: Robroy above and you won’t go far wrong.

When you start a new job you set your stall out from day one, work at a pace that suits you, if you want to stop for a break stretch your legs have a pee cup of coffee just bloody do it, if that’s in addition to your statutory breaks so be it.
Its not a race, you will get no medals for keeping up with the flash crew, you definately won’t get any medals from VOSA or whatever they call themselves this week if you balls it up hours or have an accident, its your hard won licence not the spotty twerp in the office behind his 17" map of the country, so sod him.

Yes the first few weeks can be baptism of fire, we’ve all been there.

robroy:
Do the job as best you can, do NOT to try and keep up with the ‘Superstar knob heads’ on your firm, …the 2am starters who run the limiter all day and park up on 8.59 everynight to ■■■■ up to the boss, and make a name for themselves
(unfortunately for them the name usually starts with ‘C’ ) …I’ll guarantee you will have them on your firm…(just ignore any ‘advice’ they give you also, it will all be ■■■■■■■■)
Keep your distance from them. :bulb:

. :bulb:

I was warming to you Robroy now I’m changing My mind. I am one of those Knob heads, if there is a 0 at the start of the hour then its time to crack on, 2am, what you waiting for 1am is better. But I don’t expect others to work as I do, and at most decent firms, they try to work with how their Trampers prefer to work, I know guys that wont open the eyes til 6am, so that what they get, when there is a late gig, they are the guys to call, no good ringing Me I’m parked, with My grub in the Microwave.

Of late we’ve been a bit slack, so I’ve been starting at 6-7 am, that’s fine, its the parking up at 6-7 or even 8pm that I don’t like :unamused:

raxore:

Thanks.

Give it time, you will become used to it, be prepared to refuse work and have your planner get the hump, he’ll get over it, and they always find you something else. Its a rare haulier that will sack someone for justifiably turning down work.

You soon get used to sleeping in a truck, I get my best nights kip in the truck :smiley:

I’ve been(mostly) tamping for the best part of 30 years, and I aint stopping any time soon :wink:

eddie snax:
I was warming to you Robroy now I’m changing My mind. I am one of those Knob heads, if there is a 0 at the start of the hour then its time to crack on, 2am, what you waiting for 1am is better. But I don’t expect others to work as I do, and at most decent firms, they try to work with how their Trampers prefer to work, I know guys that wont open the eyes til 6am, so that what they get, when there is a late gig, they are the guys to call, no good ringing Me I’m parked, with My grub in the Microwave.
:

Ok fair enough, but it aint for me. Each to his own, and I admit, I also have done these stupid o clock starts in the past many times… but only if, and when, I HAVE to.

I have never got it why these guys choose to when they don’t have to :open_mouth: , why make a job difficult for yourself when there’s an easier alternative, like I said it’s more of an endurance test than a job.

Also the ‘Knob Heads’ I was referring to were NOT ALL guys like you that do early starts…think you misunderstood me.
Judging by some of your other posts you are clearly not.

The ones I refer to are the Superstar early starters, coupled with sitting on the limiter all day, working their breaks, tear arsing like there’s no tomorrow, driving to last minute to park in the first available ■■■■ hole.
Then 8.59 off, back in the seat and away again for another ridculous paced day. …■■■■ ridiculous.
What these KHs can not see is the guys that do the same job alongside them in the same firm at a sensible pace, and have a much easier life get paid exactly the same rate! :bulb: and actually enjoy the job with little or no self inflicted pressure.
Yeh…sorry, still think they’re knob heads. :neutral_face:

I was only trying to prevent the young lad being influenced by these type of ■■■■■ that’s all.

…So keep warming to me. :laughing:

robroy:

eddie snax:
:

Ok fair enough, but it aint for me. Each to his own, and I admit, I also have done these stupid o clock starts in the past many times… but only if, and when, I HAVE to.

I have never got it why these guys choose to when they don’t have to :open_mouth: , why make a job difficult for yourself when there’s an easier alternative, like I said it’s more of an endurance test than a job.

Also the ‘Knob Heads’ I was referring to were NOT ALL guys like you that do early starts…think you misunderstood me.
Judging by some of your other posts you are clearly not.

The ones I refer to are the Superstar early starters, coupled with sitting on the limiter all day, working their breaks, tear arsing like there’s no tomorrow, driving to last minute to park in the first available [zb] hole.
Then 8.59 off, back in the seat and away again for another ridculous paced day. …[zb] ridiculous.
What these KHs can not see is the guys that do the same job alongside them in the same firm at a sensible pace, and have a much easier life get paid exactly the same rate! :bulb: and actually enjoy the job with little or no self inflicted pressure.
Yeh…sorry, still think they’re knob heads. :neutral_face:

I was only trying to prevent the young lad being influenced by these type of ■■■■■ that’s all.

…So keep warming to me. :laughing:

Hey, I wasn’t really offended, I was more amused :smiley: .

Apart from the early start thing, which I don’t even understand myself sometimes :confused: , I just find I prefer it that way :sunglasses: . All the rushing around trying to earn brownie points is an anathema to Me, as you understand :wink:

I whole heartedly agree that the lad should be steered in the right direction, until such time as he’s found his own favoured way off working :wink:

ps I’m warming again :smiley: though I’m not that kinda girl :wink: ,

ooh - its all shiny and new to you at the minute isn’t it ? :smiley:
What your realising is thats its a steep (OK vertical ) learning “curve” but every day your learning something that will stand you well for the rest of your driving career.
Your going to get the bad / crap jobs - don’t be offended thats just the way it is - learn from them , learn the tricks , the easy ways round , the dodges and eventually the nasty jobs get easier .Get enough bad jobs done and show you can do it and the office will start to give you easier / less demanding work - look at it this way - they are testing you and when they see you can be trusted / your capable it will start to get easier .
I get laughed at a lot of the time because I keep telling them "If it goes on top of the fifth wheel plate - I’ll work with it " I will take anything anywhere at any time while others like to stay in their own little world with the little experience they have .When something strange lands on the desk - you know who they call - me - and as they can’t figure it out I get landed with it and told to sort it out . I take the time I need and whatever I need to get the job done - straps , chains , cranes , mats whatever . BUT and its a big BUT - I know when I’m out of my depth ( or about to get out of it ) and if I am I’ll say so and ask for help .They trust me - and I trust them
20 years into it and I’m still learning , still asking questions , still ending up in places I’ve never been before.
The sleeping pattern is a problem for everyone at the start - you have to work out what suits you and try to work round that as best you can - but as others have said theres no prizes for being a hero . Take your breaks and never drive tired and good luck .

beefy4605:
ooh - its all shiny and new to you at the minute isn’t it ? :smiley:
What your realising is thats its a steep (OK vertical ) learning “curve” but every day your learning something that will stand you well for the rest of your driving career.
Your going to get the bad / crap jobs - don’t be offended thats just the way it is - learn from them , learn the tricks , the easy ways round , the dodges and eventually the nasty jobs get easier .Get enough bad jobs done and show you can do it and the office will start to give you easier / less demanding work - look at it this way - they are testing you and when they see you can be trusted / your capable it will start to get easier .
I get laughed at a lot of the time because I keep telling them "If it goes on top of the fifth wheel plate - I’ll work with it " I will take anything anywhere at any time while others like to stay in their own little world with the little experience they have .When something strange lands on the desk - you know who they call - me - and as they can’t figure it out I get landed with it and told to sort it out . I take the time I need and whatever I need to get the job done - straps , chains , cranes , mats whatever . BUT and its a big BUT - I know when I’m out of my depth ( or about to get out of it ) and if I am I’ll say so and ask for help .They trust me - and I trust them
20 years into it and I’m still learning , still asking questions , still ending up in places I’ve never been before.
The sleeping pattern is a problem for everyone at the start - you have to work out what suits you and try to work round that as best you can - but as others have said theres no prizes for being a hero . Take your breaks and never drive tired and good luck .

Like the attitude, you sound as though you must work for a proper old fashioned haulier, there aint many of them these days. I’ve had to end up in the wonderful :unamused: world of container logistics, don’t get me wrong, the money is good and the job is like steeling candy from a baby, but I sometimes yearn for the days when I was at a proper haulier, no tracker and only ring when done or a problem you cant sort. With fingers in all sorts of transport sectors, from tilts and flats, spud bulkers and tippers, low loaders and new trailer delivery, to the holy grail of the tautliner. Myself I tended to be on tilts and flats, the best of the work. After this I worked for a slaughterhouse in on the hoof, out on the hook cattle floats and hanging meat reefers. Now its containers, and my god it can be soooooo dull :open_mouth:

I agree with Rob Roy, seems like good advice to me. Remember you are the one that is going to be held responsible if it all goes pear shaped and it can very easily. Just because it’s technically legal doesn’t mean you have to do it.