Traffic Commisoner Meeting

Has anyone got any expierence in attending a traffic commisoner meeting after applying for a HGV licence

Is it like a court? what will they ask etc?

Any info would be helpful…Thanks

They don’t ask, they TELL whilst you lick & grovel! :laughing:

These normally come up following a record of convictions. Whilst they are reasonably informal, the TC has the power to say “yes or no” so is worth treating with respect. Dress smartly and have a shave. They will want to hear how you have grown up and learned from your previous mistakes. Take character references with you from notable sources. It’s handy if you’ve got married and had a couple of children in recent history.

Don’t argue. Offer reasonable answers to their questions. Avoid waffle - you may dig a hole. A promise of a job requiring your vocational licence is good - and should be in writing.

I don’t expect you to discuss what could be sensitive information on the forum; if I haven’t covered your circumstances in this answer, feel free to pm me for further advice.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks Peter, I have also sent you a PM

This meeting is tomorrow :cry: :cry:

Replied to pm. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Friend of mine had to attend on his 5 year renewal, he had picked up 3 points almost 3 years earlier for using his phone while driving his car, the TC gave him a good old telling off and suspended his hgv for two weeks with immediate effect. He told him he was lucky it wasn’t 28 days as well, not the right people to offend unless you want to do something else for a living.

I am a young guy with some previous driving offences ( moments off madness ) so a little nervous ! I guess the worst that will happen is they say no :arrow_right:

Just be polite and tell them you have learned the hard way but are reformed and looking forward to working as a driver, he/she will make you feel small and tell you they will watch you carefully.
Good luck - all will be okay.

Good luck, mate :slight_smile:

Good luck today, do you have to attend this if you have points or something?

noney82:

You can get summoned to appear in frnt of a tc for a mulitude of reasons and not only motoring convictions either can get you a date with a tc

scotstrucker:

noney82:

You can get summoned to appear in frnt of a tc for a mulitude of reasons and not only motoring convictions either can get you a date with a tc

Ah I’m with you now, hope Marshall got on ok

noney82:

scotstrucker:

noney82:

Same here as i know i dont want to hav to visit the tc again

scotstrucker:

noney82:

scotstrucker:

noney82:

Same here as i know i dont want to hav to visit the tc again

Is it that bad

My application got refused. TC said because I am 24 have only came off a lengthly ban at the start off the year, that I hadn’t given it enough time to prove I had learned my lesson.

So been advised to wait 12 months and try again…

Sorry to hear that bud

When i first applied for my HGV i got summoned to the TC i had been banned with a DR10 when in my teens, the firm i worked for knew this before setting me on at sixteen so it was no surprise when my prov was turned down.
I went to see the personel manager who also was a owner of said firm and he gave me a letter to take with me which was sealed and addressed to the TC,i also asked the area union officer to attened.
It worked and i was granted my prov the area officer spoke on my behalf and the letter was read every case is diffrent the first three people up it court had far more intresting cases than mine.
It might help if you can try to do the same.

Don’t get down about it, take advice from above and use it, once you get your license remember that it is not just the police who can take it away from you, TC’s are their own law sometimes.

Good luck.

If you have your heart set on this and want to spend the year doing something useful you could get the software to practice the theory and HPT test. If you get a green light in a year you can then start with a bang. Learning all 1000 questions also means you can have a chuckle flying through the test in 20 minutes and enjoy confusing the staff. I did this and was apparently the first in 2 years to get 100% in the cat C theory where I sat it.

Best of luck

Aww mate that’s crap news, do they have a appeals system in place? Id be tempted to do something like BIG AW said.