Traffic commisioner question

Any help here would be appreciated guys,

7 weeks ago i was seen on my mobile pulling into a petrol station by an unmarked police car, max speed of 10mph at anytime i know the speed isnt important but just setting the story, also was a residential type road not an A road or motorway.

Ok anyway ive finally recieved correspondance from the police offering me the 6pts and £200 fine, its my first offence for anything truck related/driving or in normal
Life so ive understandably been worried about it and what punishment i would recieve.

Will i be automaticaly be called to see the traffic commisioner for this or does it depend on the circumstances, repeat offenders etc?

After all the recent high profile publicity & TV coverage, why on earth were you using your mobile phone? It sounds like you’ve got a fixed penalty notice for a first offence, but if you get caught again you’ll no doubt be taken to court where the fine & points will be significantly higher. Don’t forget that as a professional driver the authorities expect you to show a higher example to other drivers.

Was a bad error of judgment which im not proud of and goes without saying i wont be making the same mistake again.

Would i still be expecting to see the traffic commisioner or is the issue dealt with already with the FPN?

You’ll likely just get a letter from your local traffic office warning you they know about the offence and any further offences will probably lead to being called in front of the commissioner. That’s what happened when…cough my friend cough got caught last year… :wink:

switchlogic:
You’ll likely just get a letter from your local traffic office warning you they know about the offence and any further offences will probably lead to being called in front of the commissioner. That’s what happened when…cough my friend cough got caught last year… :wink:

Thanks for that info mate i did think first offence it would be harsh to be called in especially considering the circumstances.

Although I’d like to think Luke is correct that you’ll only get a letter, the TCs Statutory Document No 6 - Vocational Driver Conduct says 1st offence in a commercial vehicle is call to a hearing and 4 week suspension.

If there is previous offences of CU80 including non commercial vehicle - it’s 8 week suspension.

If it was in a car, you’d get the warning letter.

Sorry, not what you want to hear. Let’s hope you are lucky.

They did change it all not so long ago about if the police stop you for being on your phone they automatically inform the TC,and boy does the TC like to make an example of (when it suits them) “professional drivers”.
Remember you’ll only EVER be called a professional driver when you’re in trouble.

Mine was before the fine and points was raised. But also in a truck so maybe I dodged a bullet

switchlogic:
Mine was before the fine and points was raised. But also in a truck so maybe I dodged a bullet

How long after did you recieve your letter from the TC after recieving your points?

It all came about around the same time

Ban you for 6 months hopefully and empty your bank account!
Just exactly how do you think as a professional driver you can even begin to justify driving a truck with your phone to your ear with all the publicity that this “crime” has received in recent years is beyond me.

Grumpy_old_trucker:
Ban you for 6 months hopefully and empty your bank account!
Just exactly how do you think as a professional driver you can even begin to justify driving a truck with your phone to your ear with all the publicity that this “crime” has received in recent years is beyond me.

Wow

Forget that, let’s hang the fella!!!

:open_mouth:

I have to agree with some of the comments,your classed as a PROFESSIONAL DRIVER and should have known better.
Considering all the recent publicity concerning deaths by LGV Drivers using their phones whilst being behind the wheel,sorry but you deserve whatever you get.

lolipop:
I have to agree with some of the comments,your classed as a PROFESSIONAL DRIVER and should have known better.
Considering all the recent publicity concerning deaths by LGV Drivers using their phones whilst being behind the wheel,sorry but you deserve whatever you get.

If they start paying me as a ‘professional driver’, I will start to act like one

Thanks for the replies with actual advice or knowledge people.

I asked a question not for people to get on there high horses so again thanks for any advice relating to the question, rest of it not so much but we’ll leave it there shall we.

Your saying it was a residential type one like that makes it not as bad. Residential rather than off and A road means more pedestrians walking about to hit because you’ve not seen them whilst on your phone.

Being a first offence I wouldn’t think you’d need to worry about it going further, but for crying out loud just don’t do it again! Learn from it and think yourself lucky

RBM1:
Any help here would be appreciated guys,

7 weeks ago i was seen on my mobile pulling into a petrol station by an unmarked police car, max speed of 10mph at anytime i know the speed isnt important but just setting the story, also was a residential type road not an A road or motorway.

Ok anyway ive finally recieved correspondance from the police offering me the 6pts and £200 fine, its my first offence for anything truck related/driving or in normal
Life so ive understandably been worried about it and what punishment i would recieve.

Will i be automaticaly be called to see the traffic commisioner for this or does it depend on the circumstances, repeat offenders etc?

I was recently told off for candid expression of my personal beliefs. And because apparently we are only allowed to make personal derogatory remarks about one other member.
On that basis: You are an unsurpassed intellectual, if brains were made from mountains you would surely be an Everest or at least a Kilamanjaro. It truly is a great honour to share our roads with you and I for one am proud to call you a colleague.

You are the perfect MEMBER!

Makes 1 mistake, admits it gets slaughtered anyway. Truck net holier than thou brigade in full force :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

RBM1:

I asked a question not for people to get on there high horses so again thanks for any advice relating to the question, rest of it not so much but we’ll leave it there shall we.

No, we shall not leave it alone there!
Just because you don’t like the answers!
As a professional driver you should know better, attempting to justify it because you weren’t going very fast (so you say), on a quiet road (so you say) somehow in your tiny, twisted mind makes it not so serious?
Tell that to the families who have lost relatives at the hand of people who had the phone to their ear whilst driving, if it were down to me I would ban you for life!

Grumpy_old_trucker:

RBM1:

No, we shall not leave it alone there!
Just because you don’t like the answers!
As a professional driver you should know better, attempting to justify it because you weren’t going very fast (so you say), on a quiet road (so you say) somehow in your tiny, twisted mind makes it not so serious?
Tell that to the families who have lost relatives at the hand of people who had the phone to their ear whilst driving, if it were down to me I would ban you for life!

Well thank ■■■■ its not down to you then ey, im not one for arguing on a message board with someone i’m never gonna see, thanks to all the people with serious replies.