TOM MUIR of WISHAW

ahhh the bleachy in overtown next to my old primary school remember it well jimmy thats been shut a while nu you wouldnt get away with it these days the way that place used to operate a kin vaguely remember wagons in there picking stuff in the early 70s a forgot aboot that place cheers colin

stravaiger:
No clues yet of NDAs original duties then? 240?
Things were moving on apace and were picking up again after 74/75 and it was time to look at artics for the first time and MSX 681H was cherry picked by Tom from a bunch that Russell of Bathgate were about to put to auction. Although others had seniority, it must have suited them, I was back on the benders. Holiday over.

No idea about that one, sorry Jim.

Great pics of MSX 681H, though! It’s a Mk.2 Silver Knight, and pre-dates the Borderer that was introduced at the Earls Court Show in Autumn 1970.

thanks for sharing them pics jim magic and great quality

bob-lad:
thanks for sharing them pics jim magic and great quality

Bob-lad I’ll second that, what a marvellous story. In 1960 I bought an O type petrol Bedford like the one pictured, I paid George Dowson a local farmer £45-00 for it and started out to make my fortune in haulage ( a fact my Father pointed out many times would not happen) Could not afford a car so the old lorry served a dual purpose. I went on to buy a TK Bedford but sadly never earned a fortune and the C & U regs put paid to my short career as an owner driver haulier. maybe if I had Tom’s tenacity I would have made ago of it, I certainly worked hard enough, hardly enough hours in the day, but breakdowns and working for companies that were very slow payers (sometimes not paying at all) put paid to my ambitions and led me to seek employment in a different field. To this day I still love old British lorries and have gone in to restoring them, I have a Thornycroft Sturdy Diesel lorry very similar to the one of Tom Muir’s pictured above, I have just finished an Atki Borderer which I am currently trying to get through it’s MOT.

regards Big Al

nice one al glad to see your still at it i worked with you years ago at atherton you took a pic of me and the scania with sideboom

bob-lad:
nice one al glad to see your still at it i worked with you years ago at atherton you took a pic of me and the scania with sideboom

Bob did you drive for Peter O’Connor at the time ? regards Big Al

Here you go Jim Mildred is a 1944 Thornycroft Sturdy with Z6 diesel engine pictured here at Barnard Castle Truck Show carrying my 1940 Fordson Tractor

This one is my ERF unit carrying a recently restored Borderer and Mildred to the Spring Gathering Leyland Commercial Museum last April

Hi Stravaiger,who done Tom Muirs sign writing? When Istarted at Millars in the late sixties we used a guy called Jimmy Higgins.Ithink he came from Waterloo.He used to have a gypsy caravan next to his house.Did he do Muirs as well.
Cheers,
Robert.

Nice pictures stravaigr, Ican remember that 8 legger because about the same time brown of shotts where chasing one as well and ended up with a foden for their cattle float. Don’t remember who owned the atki but at the time somebody knew sombody who said it had been on steel deliveries in the west midlands so hope that can help.