HELLO EVERYONE

I found this site a few weeks ago, and have been reading through it with great interest. I got my HGV class 1 in 1971 when i was in the army. When i came out the army, i could not wait to put my license to use. My first job was with Acrow’s in Greenwich south london and driving a Bedford KM. I then went to Express Freight, which was off the Highway London E1, started driving a Ford D1000 with them, then progressed to an AEC mandator, then onto a Scania 110. I then went to Paul’s Transport just by the Rotherhithe Tunnel.

Then went to H O’Briens fruit transport, their yard was by the railway arches, just off Deptford high street London SE8, their fleet was mainly Bedford KM’s and AEC’S.
Finally in the 1980’s i chose to do agency work, as got more of a variety of work, I was picking up and returning repaired Esso tankers to Terminal 4 at Heathrow airport, worked a lot for ALCAN FOILS, REEDS PAPER, DEANS FARM EGGS, MARKS & SPENCERS etc etc.

I finally had to retire in the early 1990’s due to an accident, but trucking has always been a big part of my life and i still enjoy all the nostalgia now.

Just like to say, congratulations on a great forum, i am really pleased i found it.

Hi WOODY R,
Good to have another ex driver on here,as you can see a lot of us are the same generation as yourself,will look forward to hearing your tales.
Cheers Dave.

Hi Woody R, Welcome to you sir, sure you’ll find it interesting Cheers Mel

Hi & welcome WOODY R, great site innit? :slight_smile:

Hi Woody R
Welcome it’s a great site sure you will love it, you must have a few things to tell us about your time in the job, so don’t be shy get posting we are all waiting.

cheers

John.

Hi woody , i used to go to school near the top of deptford high st ,
my school was on creek road , my dad used to drive for WBS which was in plough way just off surrey docks , did h o’bians change there name to chas h peters , they used to have bright yellow bedfords & aec’s in the railway arches by deptford train station , i used to walk past there yard on my way to watch the mighty millwall lions play , Andy

Thank everyone, for the welcome.

ANDY, I am not sure what year H O’briens changed hands, or their livery colour, as the colour was brown with red sign writing when i drove for them.
It used to be murder on a Friday morning trying to get into the yard, as from the Deptford high street end, you had the pub on the corner and a bloke with a fruit stall on the other side, if we came in from that end, the bloke used to go mad, as he had to move most of his display so that we could get round. If we were coming in from the Deptford Church Street end, then you had all the Totters there with their horses and carts and they used to kick off, as they had to move, as it was very tight trying to get in and out of the yard.