To Young For Europe?

Hi there havent done any posts on here before but just wantes to ask a few of your opinions?!
I have past my class 1 for a year now and have been driving a wagon and drag,I am only 24 and this job has come about but involves spain and italy In an artic?My dad used to do continental so i know a bit about it and its something ive alwaays wanted to do but is it to soon??never actually been over?!And also with not having much experiance under my belt although we all have to start somewhere is this a good idea?
Many thanks chris

if yo wanna do it, go for it. we all had to start somewhere, u’ll be fine, you just gotta think about what your doing, adjust to slightly different styles of driving, and try not to get stressed at any time. i’m sure you’ll be fine, if you can read a map book to get you round the uk, europe is pretty much an extension of that. you can always ask on here, if you want tips, on routes, laws, driving bans, places to stop etc, good luck.

if you wanna do it do it, your never too young for euro work, plus ur older than me.

i was not long turned 23 when i first did europe and ive been trying to get back out there

Hi mozzer44, There’s no lower age limit for doing Euro work, but a problem might come from the insurance company that the haulier uses.

I know of one firm who recently enquired about employing an under 25yo Euro driver, with the result that it would have doubled the cost of the firm’s insurance premium. :open_mouth:
Obviously, that idea was not viable even with the best will in the world. :frowning:

Maybe there are insurance firms who wouldn’t set the premium so high, or transport firms that wouldn’t mind paying the extra, but please remember that there are quite a few older and more experienced Euro drivers looking for work at the moment. :wink:

Having said that, I did my first Euro trip at the age of 24, then went on to enjoy 10 great years as a Euro tramper, but the way of life was very different back in the 80s when I did that kind of work.

I’d still like to wish you good luck though mate! :wink: :smiley:

go for it mate… you wont regret it… Iv been doing europe since i was 19 and am 24 now and love it. You will get to see alot more and meet some very interesting people, Just have to remember they drive on the opposite side of the road… Id suggest you do it and have fun.

As every one else has posted GO for it , you will have good times
more than bad ones plus, you will find yourself learning new things
all the time and it does improve the way you look at life over all,

brit pete:

:smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: :grimacing:

:open_mouth: Blimey Pete, you’ve changed your tune… :open_mouth:

I’d quite got used to:

Use 100 straps on your load, ozervise you vill be shot :laughing:
Do not drive at 81kmh, ozervise you vill be shot :laughing:
Do not run one minute over your time, ozervise you vill be shot :laughing:
You vill transit Lux, even when going von Cherbourg to Madrid, ozervise you vill be shot twice :laughing: </Tongue-in-cheek mode>

Only kiddin’ yer Pete. :wink: :grimacing:

Actually, I completely agree with you Pete. Without doubt, Euro work was the best time of my driving career. :smiley:

Dave , I did not want him to be scared off straight away
so we will wait a little while before giving the other side
of the story about driving over the water, :smiley: :smiley:

best way to learn is get in the seat and have a go .

experince counts for a lot and no doubt while over there you will learn fair few valuable thing’s.

you could struggle on the age though for insurance purpose’s as it aint the cheapist of things

Look at the stickys on here.Don’t be afraid to ask.If you make out you know it all,people will assume you do or avoid you.No such thing as a stupid question,but plenty of stupid answers.I’m not referring to any of the above BTW :smiley: Go for it!!

If in doubt about owt ask someone do not be shy

My 1st international trip was 3 days after getting my class 1 at 21,never too young,crack on you`ll love it hey :grimacing:

dieseldave:

brit pete:

I’d quite got used to:

You vill transit Lux, even when going von Cherbourg to Madrid, ozervise you vill be shot twice :laughing: </Tongue-in-cheek mode>

Actually, I completely agree with you Pete. Without doubt, Euro work was the best time of my driving career. :smiley:

What - no mention of snow chains !! :laughing:

You’re not to young, if you’ve got a chance to go for it and it’s what you want then do it. If you don’t when you want a Euro job you’ll never be able to get one.
I’m sure once you give it a go you’ll love it as much as most of the other here do. :smiley: and this forum is a great place for help and advice.

Suedehead:

dieseldave:

brit pete:

I’d quite got used to:

:blush: :blush: :blush: Oh yes, sorry… I forgot about those and the Winter tyres :blush: :blush: :blush: :grimacing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

And the “STICKIES”!!!..dont forget to “READ ZE STICKIES!!” :laughing: :wink: :wink:

Dave joking aside the winter tyres is a big yes sir over here right now
they are having some nice snow weather and summer tyres are a No No,
Plus yes Snow chains as and when required, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

brit pete:
Dave joking aside the winter tyres is a big yes sir over here right now
they are having some nice snow weather and summer tyres are a No No,
Plus yes Snow chains as and when required, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Of course you’re spot-on Pete; the Germans take everything we’ve mentioned very seriously as you often point out. :smiley:

We’re just pulling your leg ein bißchen mate. :smiley:

:bulb: Never forget that Pflicht ist Pflicht and Ordnung muss sein!! (Aber welche Ordnung ? :wink: )

Suedehead:

dieseldave:

brit pete:

I’d quite got used to:

Or the train. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

My first European trip was 2 weeks after my 18th birthday and I took a 7.5 tonner down to Monaco. I had been out a couple of times as a porter so I knew the score on the ferries etc and had a little knowledge of the ‘whys and wherefore’s’. Yes its nerve racking the first time you do it but as previous posters have said, don’t be scared to ask for help or advice. On that first trip I got speaking to a couple of older guys who guided me down as far as Montellimar and who spent time giving me tips. I started then and continue to this day to travel round europe.

At the end of the day it is no different to delivering in this country, its just a different language is spoken. Be polite, be friendly and try to learn as much of the language as possible. Trying to ask for directions in French/Spanish etc, even if it is only a few basic words always got me a better response than if you asked in English.

Lastly, enjoy yourself, you do get treated better and the facilities are better, I always feel more relaxed over the water, I don’t know why, maybe its just the lifestyle I enjoy.