European driving at 21?

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:48 pm Post subject: eUROPEAN OPPURTUNITIES AT 21■■

Hi all i am currently 20 years old and drivin a 7.5 tonne atego approaching my 21st birthday soon and planning on doing my class 1 . Havin started in the business straight after i left school doing second manning then progressin to vans and now my 7.5 i have almost been on the uk roads for 5 years and after a bit of a change. Once i get my class 1 sorted what are the chances of a company taking on a 21yr old to drive in europe■■? Or is it going to be the old you cant have a job without experience but you cant get experience without a job.
I can get a job driving class 1 in this country but i am pretty p1ssed off with the uk road network and would prefer to drive in europe.
If anybody knows of any haulier willing to take a chance please post or pm me.

Thanks Rich

it might be difficult as a lot of companies won’t take people on under 25 due to insurance

I wouldn’t have thought anyone would take on a new Class 1 pass on Euro work, especially if it’s a LHD truck. Don’t see any reason why after a couple of years UK experience you couldn’t get a job doing it though. I believe Chambers & Cook take on drivers under 25 and they do Europe, like I said though, wouldn’t take you without experience.

Suggest you get your class 2 first, then class 1

buffoon:
it might be difficult as a lot of companies won’t take people on under 25 due to insurance

It don’t half make me laugh that when the Driver CPC comes into effect in September 10th 2009 that the minimum age to hold an LGV licence will drop from 21 to 18 (it will remain 21 if you don’t do the Driver CPC initial qualification).
The only way you can gain experience driving Commercial Vehicles is to go to companies like First Bus, who take on 18 year olds and train you internally - they took me on 4 days after my 18th birthday and I got my Bus licence 10 days later with their Delegated Driving Examiner (company examiner).
Unfortunately most people who wanna be truckers don’t wanna drive Buses with peasants on 'em and I canny blame 'em either, although you do get to drive different types of vehicles (Volvo B7/B9, Scania OmniCity/OmniDekka, ADL Enviro 200/300/400, etc).

If bus companies can afford to take on 18 year olds, why not the Haulage Industry??

Richard
:slight_smile:

Suggest you get your class 2 first, then class 1

Well as the law stands there is not choice here. You have to do Cat C first before going for C+E but there you go - just have to go with the flow and take both tests.

As for driving abroad, I cant see why you wont be able to realise your dream and get the job you want in the end. It may take a little time but dont be put off. If you want to do it then just keep trying and you will get there in the end I am sure.

Yeah i know people dont like taking on young drivers but i would like to do it when i have not got any kids or mortgage or anything like that but i suppose i might have to get a couple of years behind me drivng class 1s in this country first.
I can get a class 1 job no problem for uk work so i have always got a way in so i will just keep sending e mails and phoning people up can only say no cant they . :astonished:

try a courier company on vans .no its not an easy option (sleep whats that)
but its something for the cv you cant expect to get a artic job at 21 let alone tramp europe
and as ive posted before it does help if you put where you live someone could help :bulb:

ok i live in shrewsbury i dont really want to go back to vans btdt kipping across the seats and drivin for 20 hours a day no thanks. Thing is no one around shropshire does much european work so i will have to travel which i dont mind because if yopur going to be out all week a two hour drive each way wont hurt. Thanks for the responses lads i will just keep looking and i might drop lucky.

Only just seen your Swains and Morgan post.

I parked in Habay last year or maybe earlier and had a natter with a young Czech lad who was driving a Swains motor. Spoke very good English and lived in the local area. Nice lad and fairly sensible on the beer. Is he working for Steve Swain?

no i dont think so as far as i know steve does not go abroad but his dad still does ( swains of stretton ) What lorry did he have a lhd low cab scania?

s2rich:
ok i live in shrewsbury i dont really want to go back to vans btdt kipping across the seats and drivin for 20 hours a day no thanks. Thing is no one around shropshire does much european work so i will have to travel which i dont mind because if yopur going to be out all week a two hour drive each way wont hurt. Thanks for the responses lads i will just keep looking and i might drop lucky.

you said it yourself no one does much euro work :wink:
and if you only drove for 20 hours a day you might not be ready for it mate
45 hours was the usual
double manned the van went for 6 days nonstop :laughing: and it was non stop

45 hours was the usual
double manned the van went for 6 days nonstop :laughing: and it was non stop[/quot
Thanks for the patronising comment m8 but i am ready for it now i already do a 60 hour week and drive most of my legal driving hours every day so i cant do alot more with a tachograph can i now. I want to drive for a living not drive myself into an early grave thanks. I have also stated that i do not wish to drive vans again.

Thanks

Rich :wink:

Where do you get those 45hour days? I could do with those, 24hours just isn’t long enough these days.

s2rich:
45 hours was the usual
double manned the van went for 6 days nonstop :laughing: and it was non stop[/quot
Thanks for the patronising comment m8 but i am ready for it now i already do a 60 hour week and drive most of my legal driving hours every day so i cant do alot more with a tachograph can i now. I want to drive for a living not drive myself into an early grave thanks. I have also stated that i do not wish to drive vans again.

Thanks

Rich :wink:

maybe a good :bulb: to get the licences first , its not a forgone conclusion that you will pass them just because youve been driving vans. :unamused:

yeah i will get my licences first obviously. I am not that worried about my class 2 because of my 7.5 experience will hopefuly help me out alot. As for my class 1 my dad said i can go up his yard and practice reversing some of their trucks to help me out.