eUROPEAN OPPURTUNITIES AT 21?

Hi all i am currently 20 years old and drivin a 7.5 tonne atego approaching my 21st birthday soon and planning on doing my class 1 . Havin started in the business straight after i left school doing second manning then progressin to vans and now my 7.5 i have almost been on the uk roads for 5 years and after a bit of a change. Once i get my class 1 sorted what are the chances of a company taking on a 21yr old to drive in europe■■? Or is it going to be the old you cant have a job without experience but you cant get experience without a job.
I can get a job driving class 1 in this country but i am pretty p1ssed off with the uk road network and would prefer to drive in europe.
If anybody knows of any haulier willing to take a chance please post or pm me.

Thanks Rich

decent european jobs are hard to come by no matter what age you are.
good luck

I was very lucky. Started doing Europe from 18 onwards in an old Ford Cargo and thought it was the bees knees.

Stayed with the same company and they put me thru Class 2 and 1 and was away for anything up to 3 weeks anywhere. Still with the same company but with a young family try to stay more local these days. That said, I still enjoy getting over the water.

Getting a good job being so young is a challenge in itself. My only advice would be to not limit yourself to looking for just Euro work. There are companies out there that will give youngsters a go, but there are also a lot who will exploit them. Don’t stop looking but have an open mind when doing it.

Good luck and keep us informed

just apply to as many as you can, i did my first european trip at 18 in a 7.5 tonner, and loved every minute, and still do!! i expect the age will be a problem, but a lot of companies if they inform their insurance they can take on people under 25

good luck with it!

As others have said, it will be difficult. The main problem is not your age, but your lack of two years experience, which insurance companies usually stipulate as part of the contract of motor insurance.

Whereabouts are you based? I could ask my boss if he knows anyone in your area who would take you on.

It would help if we knew where you were. I know a company that will take on young drivers

me too bear , there are firms out there that will take on young drivers .

I reckon working for a company that runs 7.5 tonners abroad will be a natural progression onto bigger & better stuff.

Although experience of driving is important too whichever side you do it. Its not all about having a shiny sat nav and furry clogs

whats wrong with fur … errrr couldnt agree more wheel nut well said mate :smiley:

mad monk:
whats wrong with fur … errrr couldnt agree more wheel nut well said mate :smiley:

Yeah, right, :unamused: :blush: :laughing:

Im in shrewsbury but willing to travel for the right job. Yeah i would not mind starting doing european in a 7.5 and then step up that is not a problem . Thanks for the response guys. So who are these companies that take on young drivers then plz tell…

I reckon a ride into Steve Swains yard would help you out

yeah i know steve but he does not do european work just logs or traction down to docks and trailer changing. With him only having a few trucks jobs are few and far betwen but when i have my class 1 sorted i will give him a ring so he can keep me in mind. Anyone had any experience with maidens of telford as i should be able to get a job there as soon as i pass my test.

Thanks

rich

PM me when you got your one, mate … we interviewed a guy today that only passed last Thursday. He never got the job though cos he was as fick as ■■■■

s2rich:
yeah i know steve but he does not do european work just logs or traction down to docks and trailer changing. With him only having a few trucks jobs are few and far betwen but when i have my class 1 sorted i will give him a ring so he can keep me in mind. Anyone had any experience with maidens of telford as i should be able to get a job there as soon as i pass my test.

Thanks

rich

He does mate, i saw a couple of his in Luxembourg getting diesel on Wednesday last week, think they had either Red CCC or Mamoet Trailers behind them.

oh ok i stand corrected i did not think steve ran european. maybe i will give him a call i know him fairly well and i would not mind driving his trucks he has got some real nice stuff. He has just sold his 124 topline with chrome everywhere on it if you know the one i mean to a company up in manchester i think??

TheBear:
PM me when you got your one, mate … we interviewed a guy today that only passed last Thursday. He never got the job though cos he was as fick as [zb]

Ok i will thanks for that where are you based petersfield?