Looking to break into euro work advice please

Hi iam looking for sone pointers if possiable guys. Iam looking to get into euro work. Iam 28 from glasgow with exp in artics but would like to do the euro work but dont know of any companys local orif being 28 would hold me back

Your age won’t be an issue. How much experience do you have? Are you prepared to be away for long periods? The biggest problem nowadays is drivers wanting to do Europe but still be home every weekend. I say this a lot but your best bet for euro work is an Irish company. They are often also prepared to send drivers to Europe for the first time.

It’ll be hard to find one at moment but it’s not impossible. Good luck

Hi thanks for the reply. I have about 2.5 years solid class 1 and 5 years rigid. I understand its not in double figures yet. Being away weeks at a time really isnt a problem as i prefer the open road a lot more than 4 walls. What you say about irish companys is a option as i have family over there so it wouldnt be to big a leap. Ill try emailing a few companys . Cheers for the tips

Depending how willing you are to locate, the greatest concentration of international hauliers is found in Kent, around the Dover area.

Got a high TOG factor on the duvet,if the night heater packs up so do you.

Yeah,could be looking at the deep end if the weather closes in?

Hypothermia in a tin box,you dont realise the alltitude,the higher up you are the colder it gets,mountainous areas are common over in euroland.

toby1234abc:
Hypothermia in a tin box,you dont realise the alltitude,the higher up you are the colder it gets,mountainous areas are common over in euroland.

God you make European work sound a hundred times harder than it actually is. You could quite easily die of hypothermia in the UK

Makes me wonder how we survived sleeping across the seats with no night heater.

I think you need to worry less about having loads of UK experience and more about having the right attitude for the work.
(I’m not saying you don’t have the right attitude, :smiley: )
The biggest problem is of course you are going to be up against drivers with European haulage experience, but if you’re at the right place at the right time and your face fits you could be in with a chance. Find a few companies and knock on doors, maybe even with you passport and kit in your car.

There was a list on here of companies that did regular runs to Europe, but I couldn’t find it. :blush:

nearly there:
Hi iam looking for sone pointers if possiable guys. Iam looking to get into euro work. Iam 28 from glasgow with exp in artics but would like to do the euro work but dont know of any companys local orif being 28 would hold me back

The only real disadvantage you have is that sadly, you are about 15 years too late, I did Euro and beyond, (USSR & North Africa), You will earn less than a UK only driver and be expected to be away for an average of 3/4 weeks. There are very few firms still doing Euro work big time and even less that you would actually WANT to work for !!

Sorry shag but that’s the bald truth :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

When do you NOT get home every weekend the novelty soon wears off,you are only going to an industrial estate that has foreign writing on the signage,they all look the same from the uk to europe,not exactly exotic is it?

toby1234abc:
When do you NOT get home every weekend the novelty soon wears off,you are only going to an industrial estate that has foreign writing on the signage,they all look the same from the uk to europe,not exactly exotic is it?

thats the drivers fault for parking on an industrial estate, plenty of better places to park.
nice restaurants, hotels, near the beach or by a river, popular cities, the options are numerous.
I’m not so sure about the claim that you earn less than a UK only driver though, not from what i read on the UK forum all the time drivers whinging about their hourly pay even on so called bluechip companies

Cambrils,Lloret del Mar,i dont want to put the young lad off.

Shall we tell him about the houses in the middle of nowhere full of scantily dressed young ladies wearing only a bikini or ■■■■■■■ and a bra,he could slot his DKV in the hole in the wall,or make a deposit in the bank.My wife wants a pearl neck lace for xmas.

toby1234abc:
Cambrils,Lloret del Mar,i dont want to put the young lad off.

anybody doing their first trip to spain should sample the buffet at cambrils, the best meal by a long way.
as for scantily clad women you can tell him toby i know nothing :laughing: :laughing:

Im my yoof,i went through 4 to 4 portions of “club” sandwhiches,in one night,it is amazing where all the white stuff comes from,but when a bird knows what she is doing,its firing on all four pistons.BOGOF is what goes on.

nearly there:

There is a company local to you, i work for them so i can’t/won’t name them. But we are well known, advertise regularly for drivers so you should have seen our advert at sometime. We have a handful of longterm drivers and a handful that turnover very very regularly, there maybe a recession on but you still stuggle to get reliable, flexible drivers with good attitudes. :unamused: :grimacing:

He will have to research all the truck bans,some are in different parts of any country,so you can go so far,then have to park up.Regional variations to bans.

toby1234abc:
He will have to research all the truck bans,some are in different parts of any country,so you can go so far,then have to park up.Regional variations to bans.

no need for research, trucknet users know everything :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: just ask and ye shall find