TNT

If anyone works/has worked for them, can you let me know how they are to work for? perks, benefits, management ideals towards drivers etc.

just passed me bendy test and agency is putting me forward for temp to perm with them.

PM if you don’t want it public.

ta.

they seem to crash a lot :confused:

paul@midway:
they seem to crash a lot :confused:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Where are ou from Gordo?
I’ve been running out of Atherstone for 3 months and I love it there, my own wagon, a great bunch of lads and the works cushy. :wink:

serious note …

there a big company mate have decent looking motors , dont know what they pay but it cant be bad with tnt being one of the larger logistics companies

scunthorpe, ladytrucker :slight_smile: mostly working by hauling golden wonder stuff iirc.
either shunting to their factory and back to depot, or distributing to RDC’s around the land (my preference since this is where my experience lies, what little I have).

it all looks too good tbh.

minimum pay of 50 hours a week, 20 days holiday plus bank holidays, 11% (yes, eleven) contribution to pension, and other various perks.

agency wage about 7.,25 an hour for first 8 per day then up onto time+1/2. decreases to 6.95 when onto permanent but thats not a massive decrease really over a week considering the pension benefits etc.
death in service is 25k, which I don’t know if its good or bad - compared to banking its bad but then I used to work for a bank owned by the pru.

that death in service is ■■■■ poor

there was an article in one of the mags a few weeks ago, think it was CM, they were saying it was a good Co. but they would as the management were being interviewed but they did say they prefer to promote management from inside and quoted someone who started as a same day courier is now one of there top men.

As far as Couriers go I understand they pay [zb] but they can go into any depot and if there is a job going there way they get it so they have no dead miles like most couriers

Having said all that I may be corrected as I have no facts to go on just heresay from TNT couriers

If it needs stars it’s not allowed. L. :wink:

trial day-out begins 8:30am tomorrow morning :smiley:

I’m quite worried as never been out without instructor who could tell me if I was about to approach a junction completely wrong and to get over etc
Still, if in doubt - split it :smiley:

not as worried about the reverse etc as I was having seen an experienced driver messing up a straight line reverse yesterday and need 3 shunts and STILL end up cross-hoppling his cab at the end so it was skewed to one side when he got it onto the bay.

Still, I presume the agency told him I passed my test on Thursday gone, and no porkie pies. Presenting my pass certificate instead of a license should make sure he knows that anyway - lol.

Can’t wait, but kacking me sen.

No rushing about, nice and calm, do your best, no one can ask for more. Good luck with tomorrow, let us know how it goes.

not quite the assessment I’d expected - though partly it was. It’s more an induction and development for 2 days. if I don’t crash and burn (so to speak) then it’s 2 days alone, weekend and start on the full-time nights they’ll be offering me.

some of it is getting you to drive in this new ‘safed’ style - which took a bit of adapting to at first as the implementation of some of it goes against what I’ve learned for passing my test so my subconscious is fighting against it but if thats what they want me to do so be it I guess.

the big problem is reversing. Having only ever reversed in a gog-leg with 45 degrees being the max angle I guess and using mirrors for 95% of the manouver, so reversing 90 degrees with no previous knowledge of where I need to set my visual turning markers on my trailer against the apex of the turn, etc I’m struggling. Fella demonstrated and whipped round this corner on industrial estate 1st time - only small turn on the wheel - I hop in, same degree of turn and for some reason nowt seems to happen so have to put more on to make it begin to turn and still too late, having to compensate but then lose it as it goes round too much. REALLY frustrating me as I can’t see a system yet. No methodology.
I’m wanting to go across the gap I’m going into, and steer the whole rig left to half line things up, with a little right turn at the end so it’s set to kick the right way - like I’ve seen at so many RDC’s so many times - and as I’ve watched things done and at least half understand - but I’m supposed to go close in across and turn the clean 90 degrees from start position to end, and in that way.
which I totally understand cos the yard is TIGHT where we start from.
I just feel soooo bad that it doesn’t seem to be clicking when every other stage of learning to reverse these things, during time with instructor for the test sank in 1st or 2nd time and it was a case of repeat and repeat til its drummed in and CAN’T be forgotten

Still, tomorrow is another day and we’ll be focussing on reversing more intensely to get it down sorted, and seeing as I’ll be shunting for 2x 12 hour shifts on my own thu and fri, I’ll need to get it down and sorted eh!

Last couple of things - they offered me a night shunter’s job which I wasn’t overjoyed at so that’s moved to night trunker - which I’m much happier with - so that’s been a success - I want to be out there all over this beautiful land, delivering goods to the nation rather than 6 to 10 trips a night to a factory 4 miles away. Chalk one up!

and a non-victory/loss thing - I met the other night drivers on my way out from a day’s training, and sounds like they’re after getting me involved in the union etc already :smiley: Set me straight on realistic earnings instead of the whole “this is what you can earn in a week” stuff we all get from new jobs :wink: so at least it’ll not be a disappointment when 1st packet arrives :smiley:

essay over :stuck_out_tongue:

El Gordo, Hi!

Glad to hear you got on so well!, sounds like it went smooth, well done with the small victory (Night Trunking), it should help you find your feet, lighter traffic, Mr BMW and Mondeo man tucked up in bed.

Stick with the 90’ reversing, it does come with practice.

Best wishes.

Charles.

if its not min £10ph for nights its not enough

TNT Must be a good company to work for

They apparantly are happy for drivers to dump £2500 worth of parcels on a doorstep in Northampton at 07:45am when the company is shut until 9:00am and expect the sender to accept £700 compensation, just because a passing motorist told the driver to do so, and he would sign for them :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Tough Luck on them, coz I aint bowing down to them, unless they cough up for the full value they’ll find their dispatcher computer for sale on Ebay, along with all outstanding bills not being paid to recover my losses :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I decided it wasn’t for me.
Not happy with the pay for night work (6.85 an hour with 1.70ph night allowance) , or the push to work as a night shunter as such a new man to the scene - and the final thing was I feel I need a fair bit more assistance and guidance for a few days more, at least, to get to standard but that wasn’t on offer as the necessary staff member was to be office bound.

So, I went in this morning at due time, spoke to front office man, he said fine and home I went. Apparently I spoke to a warehouseman this morning in the front office (sat at a desk doing the drivers’ paperwork) but then how was I to know? He should have said ‘sorry mate, speak to so-and-so upstairs’.
I even took my tachos, hi-viz, sarnies etc in case they demanded a day’s work from me so as to not be a total ■■■-dropper (from great hights variety).

agency has spazzed out big-time that I didn’t ring them from the site for it to be addressed but then, I didn’t know the number they text me offers of work from was an emergency out of hours number.

to TNT’s credit they made an offer through the agency to have me back and give me more time but for me, it’s not the right job. Too many things expected too soon after passing my test for ME to be happy with it. Not saying it’s a bad job - just not suitable for me at this juncture. Shame cos I got on well with everyone I met.

Turning the return offer down has spazzed the agency out yet more and veiled threats of no more work from them are there. bad language a-go-go coming into my ear but I’m sure they’ll calm down. this is the first time I’ve left a site and I went in and was up front to them - always been conscientious in the past to the extend of advising my bus sevice was THREE MINUTES late and I’d be there ASAP on other jobs. I take pride in doing the right thing where I can.
Still, like I say, the agency person will calm down soon I guess and get me working again.

Sorry it didn’t work out mate it’s a shame but the pay is notorious at TNT I read these threads and realise how lucky I am. Our traffic office is doing it’s fruit because some of the drivers are taking the [zb] and getting sloppy, taking advantage and there are so many drivers on Tnet that would appreciate a decent operation with real benefits. Something will turn up bud, keep looking. :wink: