Thick HGV Drivers

Come on Boys and Girls play the game!

Driving South on Xmas Eve very few trucks on the road. Passing Watford Gap I pulled into the centre lane to let a truck out of the services. What did I get for a Thank you? Some [zb] in a DAF running along side me on my nearside for at least 2 miles until I can get far enough in front to move over.

The same thing happend 30 mins later passing Toddington :angry:

I can put up with being cut up and not let in by car drivers, most know no better; but when I am shafted by so called fellow prof drivers it really [zb] me off.

In both cases ā€œon the ballā€ car drivers flashed me and let me out. Thanks to 2 idiots the only option for me was to repay them by sitting in the middle lane for miles. No wonder we get a bad name.

Rant over. Hope you all had a good Christmas

Too obvious.L. :wink:

I know the feeling, this really getā€™s to me. I always pull over to let people out. If I have been let out, I slow down and flash that person in. Okay, if that person who pulled over for me is way back and I know my motor is faster, I will crack on but in these instances itā€™s pretty obvious what should be done.

I think the wider problem is a lot of lorry drivers are testosterone fuelled idiots and itā€™s the old ā€œyou ainā€™t gettinā€™ past me mate.ā€ Thereā€™s just no need for it, my unit is faster than most, but I am aware others are slower and bear this in mind when approaching 2 HGVā€™s trying to overtake, I hang back in lane 1 and wait for them to finish, not tailgate the chap in lane 2 like I was late for my heart transplant operation. ([zb]). If I am trying to overtake someone and it just ainā€™t happening, I will abort and pull in behind and take a bit off or not bother in the first place. If someone is trying to overtake me and there is not much behind, Iā€™ll take a bit off the limiter and let him in (other drivers seem to be doing this a bit more lately). A bit of empathy towards other road users seems a foreign principle to a lot of ignorant truckers.

Had a barline transport artic up my nethers just north of the M6 last thursday night giving it the full beam doing 70, trucking ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  Was just about to pull over after completing an overtake where the other driver didnā€™t flash me in and this guy got ants in his pants, i did pull over because I was to tired to get into a fight with him. I have to say most of the Tinnely and Surefreight chaps are sensible when speeding but this guy took the ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– . I wouldnā€™t have even minded if he was late for the ferry but I bet he was just drivng like a ā– ā– ā– ā–  for the hell of it. Aahh thatā€™s off me chest.

Small one. L. :wink:

i donā€™t think they are testosterone fuelled idiots, they just lack the finesse of being gentlemen of the road.
proper road ettiquette dictates that if another driver lets you out by pulling over to the overtaking lane then the correct way of thanking that driver is to allow them to finish the overtaking manouvre as quickly and safely as possible.

Chunky:
Come on Boys and Girls play the game!

Driving South on Xmas Eve very few trucks on the road. Passing Watford Gap I pulled into the centre lane to let a truck out of the services. What did I get for a Thank you? Some [zb] in a DAF running along side me on my nearside for at least 2 miles until I can get far enough in front to move over.

you could have lifted your right foot and pulled in behind :wink:

I wholly agree with you on this subject,I had a Deben Transport DAF join the M6 a few weeks ago and I pulled over to let him out and he kept me in the middle lane right until we got to the M6/A14 split when he had to slow down to exit on the A14.Even when I slowed to let him go heā€™d slow down to.When I went past him he waved at me,but he seemed to have a few fingers missing.

The other thing that annoys me is when you are coming up behind another truck and heā€™s going quite slower than me.But as soon as he looks in his mirror and seeā€™s youā€™re going to pass him,the puff of smoke comes from the exhaust as he putā€™s his foot down and either leaves you standing or keeps you in the middle lane.Why do they do that?

You donā€™t mind car drivers doing this now and again because itā€™s a natural reaction and they donā€™t have cruise but other truckers doing it is bad form. Yes Dennis maybe he should have taken the high road and lifted off himself but itā€™s so not right.

I think in your case Keith one reason could be that they think you are Belgian. On more than one occasion I have heard a driver boasting how he [zb] upped that ā€˜foreignā€™ [zb] by performing the sort of antics you describe. Same can happen to GB trucks over the water. :imp: :smiling_imp: :imp: :smiling_imp: :imp: :smiling_imp: :imp: :smiling_imp:

Silver_Surfer:
. Yes Denis maybe he should have taken the high road and lifted off himself but itā€™s so not right.

I agree itā€™s not right - but lifting off just gets out of the situation

its extremely annoying and you shouldn`t have to lift off. the solution of course is to not move out and give way, no its not a proffesional attitude but when it happens day after day, week after week, year after year it kinda wears you down a bit doesnt it?

KW:
The other thing that annoys me is when you are coming up behind another truck and heā€™s going quite slower than me.But as soon as he looks in his mirror and seeā€™s youā€™re going to pass him,the puff of smoke comes from the exhaust as he putā€™s his foot down and either leaves you standing or keeps you in the middle lane.Why do they do that?

Coffeeholic:
I think in your case Keith one reason could be that they think you are Belgian. On more than one occasion I have heard a driver boasting how he [zb] upped that ā€˜foreignā€™ [zb] by performing the sort of antics you describe. Same can happen to GB trucks over the water. Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil

Sorry to disagree Neil but I dont agree with you,I have had the same thing happen to me on almost a daily basis.
My motor is set to run at 54mph I often catch other hgv drivers then as I pull level with them they suddenly find an extra gear and leave me sitting out in the sandwich lane for miles on end.If you back off they slow down again so you pull out then repeat the scenario :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

I think the bosses are so desperate for drivers they let any muppet behind the wheel now.

It is a very bad practice and also a dangerous oneā€¦and we have all witnessed it, what i like to do is stay in the middle lane to see if i can overtake, or whether the other driver will allow me tooā€¦if they wont let me in then i will ease off and pull in behind and just think to myself that i have allowed another trucker to maintain his momentum, of course we all look for the flashing indicators as a way of saying thank you, and i am sure that the drivers concerned do appreciate the fact you have allowed them to pull outā€¦dont resort to their way of driving because they are not members of trucknetā€¦as we are all awareā€¦only professionals are allowed on this site, and we want to keep it that wayā€¦when i applied to join trucknet i had to take an attitude test, and i passed it with flying coloursā€¦as did everyone elseā€¦so let this family continue to drive like professionals and may the others recognise the trucknet sticker on the rear of the vehicle as they pass, and wish they were like usā€¦
have a nice day

north surrey haulage:
Sorry to disagree Neil but I dont agree with you,I have had the same thing happen to me on almost a daily basis.

Donā€™t get me wrong Sean I didnā€™t mean it was just because Keith has a Belgian registered truck I meant it was an ā€˜added incentiveā€™ for these muppets as they take extra delight in messing with the ā€˜foreigner.ā€™ Like you I have it happen to me on an almost daily basis as well, makes you wonder why you bother to pull over but I will continue to do so and if they start those games Iā€™ll ease off and pull in behind them knowing that at least I made the effort to do the right thing even if they didnā€™t.

KW:
IThe other thing that annoys me is when you are coming up behind another truck and heā€™s going quite slower than me.But as soon as he looks in his mirror and seeā€™s youā€™re going to pass him,the puff of smoke comes from the exhaust as he putā€™s his foot down and either leaves you standing or keeps you in the middle lane.Why do they do that?

Yep that really gets me, why do they do it, they slow down enough for you to decide you have to get passed, but as soon as they see you overtaking they speed up again. Its pointless, if they dont need to be somewhere and are quite happy to daudle, why cant they have anyone overtake them?. You know the youll catch upto the [zb] in a few miles time doing the same thing.

Sorry Neil got the wrong end of the stick (unusual for me I know :sunglasses: ) :laughing:

JB:
its extremely annoying and you shouldn`t have to lift off. the solution of course is to not move out and give way, no its not a proffesional attitude but when it happens day after day, week after week, year after year it kinda wears you down a bit doesnt it?

Thats the bit that really winds them up JB :slight_smile:

I hope that they think about it and finally realise that we have right of way, pulling out to let them in is just courteous, although they expect it all the time. I quite enjoy all the missing finger waves I get :smiley:

people like that give us a bad name. if a trucker lets me on to the motorway, i automatically slow down and flash him in. i see it as returning the favour. i hate being stuck out in the middle lane like an idiot so i wont do it to a fellow trucker. the wagons drift all over the place at high speed so the last thing you want to do is have to watch both mirrors when you really only need to keep an eye on the offside one

If another truck driver is courteous enough to let me out onto the motorway (and most are) I sit at 50 untill they have gone by & returned to the nearside lane. I then accecelerate onto the limiter & if I am gaining on said vehicle, will pull out & pass them. This seems to work very well, often producing a friendly wave from said driver.

If I have moved out to let another truck on & he then matches my pace so that I am unable to get by, I find putting on the left indicator & then, after a short delay, starting to move over, usually cures the problem quite swiftly :wink:

I will not move out for single carsā€¦even though they appear to think they have a God given right to join & expect you to move over, even if you have the minor detail of another truck alongside you. I have on numerous occasions received a hand signal from said car drivers that I have been unable to find in the Highway Code :unamused:
My 0 to 54mph time = about 5 minutes
their 0 to 60 time = average 10 seconds
So if they canā€™t just squirt it & get infront or back off & get behind, then they arenā€™t fit to be driving on a motorway anyway. But donā€™t you just hate it, when you get the horn, but you know they are in the wrong :question:

No-oneā€™s taught how to drive courtiously on dual carriageways these days. I know it wasnā€™t part of my car or class 2 training, nor my class B over here. Besides, how many of the people doing these idiotic things are ā€œGood driversā€ who ā€œHavenā€™t had an accident in yearsā€ :unamused: Bet theyā€™ve seen plenty in their mirrors thoā€¦

On entering a motorway/dual cabbageway,I always let the wagon thats moved over,get past me,and flash him/her in.I see it as gentlemans conduct,and then like Driveroneuk,if I find that my vehicle is quicker,I then proceed to overtake them when I can possibly do so,and always acknowledge with a wave and a smile.

The only time I donā€™t,is when itā€™s some numpty in a car,who should know that they can outrun me,but decide to sit there like a herbert.

However,as my days of driving will be coming to an end soon,I donā€™t need to worry about it anymore.

Did I mention Iā€™ve been promoted at work to transport manager? Must have slipped my mindā€¦ :laughing:

Ken.

The point anout training on motorways and dual carriageways keeps coming up time and againā€¦

Drivers should be forced to take a test that involves entering and leaving a motorway. When I did my HGV 3 we used the motorways around Gildersome and the M1 for training as well as using all the towns each side of the A62.

My landlady is a driving instructor and she does this Pass Plus which involves night driving, motorways and dual carriageways for 2 hours.

pity it is not compulsory :confused: