Car drivers not understanding HGVs

While deciding to do my HGV licence/s, I have become much more aware of how other drivers treat HGV drivers.

Not all bad by any means. Plenty are courteous and aware.

But some are on another planet and I saw a close one yesterday when a car pulled out and got up to all of about 30mph while the lorry slithered everywhere trying to brake.

So, genuine question, is this a daily occurence for you folk, even with the roadcraft you develop?

I can spot most hazards in my car well before the other driver has made the move, but curious how that game plays out in a truck.

In a word yes. Most drivers haven’t got s clue what they are doing or going to do let alone forward plan what others are going to do.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

The only thing you can do is drive defensively and always have a backup plan in the event some idiot tries to occupy the same space as you.

Constant problem, you need to be thinking and driving for everyone else. You’ll get tuned in to it eventually and will just know when something is going to happen. Often I know where some of these nobs are going before they do.

You still get caught out occasionally by someone doing something really unpredictable though.

Just occasionally you get a situation arise where you can foresee something and by careful planning manage to prevent them from doing what they were going to do and miss their exit or whatever. It is enough to make your week!

I was coming around the M25 C/W a year or so back approachng J26, there was a VW Transporter coming screaming up lane 4 and attempting a dive across for J26. Typical nob driver expecting everyone to make space bustle his way into lane one so he could exit almost straight from lane 4 rather than spend the last mile since the junction signs started getting across.

Unfortunately for him there was no gap (OK I’ll admit to squeezing it shut on purpose which I know you shouldn’t do) and he was then commited to a lengthy detour. No turnaround at J27 M11 so he ended going up to Harlow. That must have added 10-15 minutes to his journey. Maybe it taught him a lesson (probably not) but it had me chuckling for the rest of the day

It does just come with time, you sort of just accept it. It’s pointless stressing about it, I see some truckers going ballistic but really it doesn’t change anything and just increases the stress levels.

A lot of people say stuff like “I don’t know how you drive so far” or similar and seem shocked when I say that I’m on auto pilot for most of it. That’s not to say I’m not paying attention - as mentioned above I’m normally a couple of steps ahead of the average driver - but it all just becomes second nature.

Yes, it’s all about anticipating what the other geezer is going to do and taking the necessary action. A little tip: dont ever get worked up or upset by other folks’ actions. I’ve seen folks shouting and bawling - - but the person they’re getting at cant even hear them! So it’s pointless and just bad for the blood pressure.

I spend my time shrugging my shoulders. And, very occasionally (when I get REALLY upset) I’ll mutter “pillock” .

Better to spend time concentrating on what you’re doing than replaying what’s just happened and getting uptight about it.

I know I’ve wandered off thread a bit, but it’s important.

Take care all, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

8wheels:
Often I know where some of these nobs are going before they do.

I say this all the time [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hiddo:

8wheels:
Often I know where some of these nobs are going before they do.

I say this all the time [emoji23]

That is called advanced driving

8wheels:
Just occasionally you get a situation arise where you can foresee something and by careful planning manage to prevent them from doing what they were going to do and miss their exit or whatever. It is enough to make your week!

:smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Quality posts in here. Made me chuckle.

Might be a daft question but… I have been tucking in behind hgvs down the dual carriageways on the a47 to see how often they get their nose cut off when the road goes back to single lanes after roundabouts… and apart from a few car drivers ending up in chevron no mans land waving their fist, the only thing I have noticed is that all truckers prefer to keep moving at below crawling pace in ultra slow traffic, rather than actually stop.

So, is something to do with air tanks, or not disturbing the load, or something else?

I mean, the last 30 or so trucks I have sat behind have all done this, without exception.

What is the reason?

Tim T:

Might be a daft question but… I have been tucking in behind hgvs down the dual carriageways on the a47 to see how often they get their nose cut off when the road goes back to single lanes after roundabouts… and apart from a few car drivers ending up in chevron no mans land waving their fist, the only thing I have noticed is that all truckers prefer to keep moving at below crawling pace in ultra slow traffic, rather than actually stop.

So, is something to do with air tanks, or not disturbing the load, or something else?

I mean, the last 30 or so trucks I have sat behind have all done this, without exception.

What is the reason?

It is fairly well known that keeping the wheels turning is better because moving off uses a lot of fuel. The driver may just be relying on tick-over to keep going and avoiding using the brakes at all into the bargain. There is telemetry information now in trucks that analyses driver style and some drivers may be eligible for a bonus in pay for having good fuel efficiency.

There is an engine brake / retarder in modern trucks which saves the brake linings. To put it into perspective, I am thinking about reducing speed on the cruise control around half a mile before a roundabout or if I know I may need to come to a stop ahead. Then when nearer it is either coasting in or putting the engine brake on in stages. If I done correctly the service brake may only be used in the last few seconds before coming to a stop.

After a while of doing this you adapt to drive your car the same and just shake your head at car drivers accelerating into roundabouts and the like. I imagine I get a good few extra miles on a tank over these drivers. Of course this kind of driving isn’t for everyone, but the fact is I’m never in that much of a hurry, so I don’t see the point in driving like I am on a racetrack.

Tim T:

What is the reason?

Common sense you may as well keep it crawling rather than stop and start like most Muppets do on traffic. Drivers tend to floor it and then stop 100 yards further forward and rinse and repeat. Slowly moving and avoiding stopping and starting all the time is much more a relaxed drive stuck in traffic. The only issue then is drivers that insist on swapping lanes because there is a gap and they think that lane will get them further up the road.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

After a while of doing this you adapt to drive your car the same and just shake your head at car drivers accelerating into roundabouts and the like. I imagine I get a good few extra miles on a tank over these drivers. Of course this kind of driving isn’t for everyone, but the fact is I’m never in that much of a hurry, so I don’t see the point in driving like I am on a racetrack.

I’ve done this for years. In fact, I quite often get passed by HGVs in the last 300 yards! :open_mouth: I’m not going THAT slow!

I’ve also been stalking :smiling_imp: I mean following HGVs in the last few weeks, and it has helped a lot with understanding gaps to look for to pull out at e.g. roundabouts. Not too many road junctions on the routes I travel.