Theory Test Centre Issue

Booked my theory test yesterday - was wanting to take it on the 23rd of the month - wanted to be sure that I was up to standard with that bleeding joke that is the hazard perception (why years of driving experience should count for nothing is beyond me) - but the centre was fully booked until the end of the month! :imp:

Thanks to having to fit it in round my shifts, the earliest date I could have that was convenient was the 13th of September - the week before I plan to start my training!! :imp: :smiling_imp:

You’re only talking about a man sitting at a desk for half an hour or so - why the hell are the DSA so flipping far behind with their schedules? And to think that I’m paying 32 quid :smiling_imp: for this “privilege”!!

Will training companies allow you to sit the test without the certificate?

Was going to post this last night - but thought better of it as I was as high as a kite! Still haven’t properly cooled down on this one yet however!

Personally speaking,I sat my theory test on saturday at durham and it was quite hard to believe how busy the test centre was - I dont think its a case of the DSA being behind - it appeared to me that it is demand simply outstripping supply

“Will training companies allow you to sit the test without the certificate?”

No. The training centre will want to see it and the examiner will definitely want to see it.

Hi SuperLez,

From what I remember when I did mine (It was 3 years ago :open_mouth: ), you can start your training without your theory test but cannot take the Practical Test.

I concur with russjp comments, the three times I have attended Wolverhampton Test Centre (once for my LGV theory and 2 times sat waiting for my daughter to do her car theory), there has been a continuous stream of people in and out the door.

When you think how many kids turn 17 each year it’s not surprising there is such a waiting list, especially if like my daughter they pass the theory and fail the hazard perception and then have to re-sit both tests again.

It’s exactly the same with the practical training, if you do not pass first time, there can be a lengthy gap before a re-test is booked. This is because a lot of the training companies block book tests to coincide with their training weeks.

Anyway good look with the training and hope all goes well.

Ian.

The LGV training company I work for will not start practical training until the theory is passed as they have to book and name the test.

Hectors-dad:
“Will training companies allow you to sit the test without the certificate?”

No. The training centre will want to see it and the examiner will definitely want to see it.

Could have worded this better! Was still on a little bit of a high!

Thought that leaving it 10 days would have been more than adequate.

ianf6512:
Hi SuperLez,

From what I remember when I did mine (It was 3 years ago :open_mouth: ), you can start your training without your theory test but cannot take the Practical Test.

I concur with russjp comments, the three times I have attended Wolverhampton Test Centre (once for my LGV theory and 2 times sat waiting for my daughter to do her car theory), there has been a continuous stream of people in and out the door.

When you think how many kids turn 17 each year it’s not surprising there is such a waiting list, especially if like my daughter they pass the theory and fail the hazard perception and then have to re-sit both tests again.

It’s exactly the same with the practical training, if you do not pass first time, there can be a lengthy gap before a re-test is booked. This is because a lot of the training companies block book tests to coincide with their training weeks.

Anyway good look with the training and hope all goes well.

Ian.

Oops! Didn’t think about car (and for that matter motorcycle) tests.

Sorry about the reply, is there any other centres you could try? There might be less of a queue? When you book you will get a nice dvd explaining all the things you need to do. I agree about the hazard perception test, i just scrapped through with 3 points to spare. Remember it is designed for completely new drivers so you will see a hazard before it becomes scoreable if you know what i mean. Try not to click away although it is tempting. The H P T for me was the most nerve wracking bit of the whole training experience.

is the theroy test specific to hgv driving or is it the same as car?

mawbster:
is the theroy test specific to hgv driving or is it the same as car?

Same format, obviously LGV specific questions and higher score needed to pass

When I sat my mine,the examiner told me that because I already drive for a living that I would spot the hazards far earlier than a new driver and was more likely to miss the scoring zone on the HPT, in effect, he was telling me that i was too qualified to pass the test and was more likely to fail it because of my driving experience â– â–  :laughing: :laughing: