Struggling to book theory test

Hi, got my liscence back this morning! Went to go booK theory and every test centre states they do not offer the theory test! Has anyone else struggled? Guessing there’s a big back log but tried putting in nearly every test centre in Yorkshire! Also am I right in thinking Iv only got four months from when I got my medical done in July to wrap everything up?Cheers

Put simply, theory tests are in crisis nationally. We are currently booking October and I know of instances where the earliest test is November. When you get the message that the test is not on offer, that isn’t literally what it means. It’s just saying that they are booked so far ahead they are not accepting further bookings.

I have no idea which end of Yorkshire you are, but you may want to consider coming over the border and looking at Chesterfield, Mansfield, Derby. Long waits but at least you may get tests.

Also am I right in thinking Iv only got four months from when I got my medical done in July to wrap everything up?Cheers

Thankfully, you’re wrong about that. Your licence will run till you’re 45 (assuming you’re under that now) or for 5 years if you’re over 45.

There is no time limit within which you must complete your theory tests. The only rule is that you have 2 years from passing theory tests to passing practical C. (No additional theory required for CE).

Hope that helps a bit. But let me know if I can help further.

Take care, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks very much for the reply! That’s great info cheers! Managed to get booked in mid September which is better for revising anyway! Glad to hear it’s a bigger time frame I was panicking! Cheers :smiley:

You’ve done well to get September - well done. Which test centre?

Hope it goes to plan.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I am in a similar boat, licence back today, and untill about 10pm not even the option to even try to book anything hgv wise, but it finally caught up and now have theory and hazard perception on the 5th september, in Form William, which is a slight drive from Aberdeen so a night away on the west coast will be nice, and my mod 2 booked in on the 9th in Glasgow, but I am down that way anyway for Truckfest so no much worry there. Best get studying so no waiting for a resit :smiley:

Early September is very good at the moment. The post is an excellent example of needing to travel to get a theory test in a reasonable timescale at the moment.

Peter Smythe:
Early September is very good at the moment.

Hi Pete.

How are you getting along at your place ?

How are yous all finding it ?

Are yous coping ok ?

Is it manic or quiet at the centre ?

Have you been given 4-6 weeks of tests from the DVSA like you used to have or are yous not quite up to that many yet ?

Now onto a more personal level.

Have most of the public gone back to work round your way ?

Has the kids gone back to school yet ?

Are the roads busy again round that area ?

I only ask the last 3 questions as a week and a half ago i was given my class 1 training and test dates, am well happy with the speedy dates, much sooner than i was expecting, early August, as this thread proves, it’s taking people longer just to get booked in for theory dates, so a big thumbs up to you and your gang.

Thanks Pete.

Hi. Yes, it’s very busy at the centre at the moment with everyone frantically playing catch up! But it’s a solid team and it’s all coming together nicely - as you’ve found out.

Currently, we have tests until early September. That’s not as far as normal but we’re getting there.

Kids not at school yet - and you’ll miss them anyway cos of the holidays.

Traffic is moderate - it’s never busy! I expect most folks are back at work, but I dont know for definite.

All the best with your training and test, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

aking a night of it haha! It’s a trek from my town! But it’s all means to an end!

You can make the most of it. Fish and chips, ■■■■■ and a paddle! It’s not a bad life haha!

Good luck with the tests.

RoadRunner92:
I got in at Scarborough so also making a night of it haha! It’s a trek from my town! But it’s all means to an end!

I havent checked availability but did a postcode check and was amazed at how far it offered me from my address, Scarborough and Driffield, even Mansfield and Lincoln.

When I did mine I was only given a choice of Scunthorpe. Hull or Grimsby.

Possible to book anywhere in the UK regardless of your own postcode. But the system, quite reasonably, finds you the nearest centres until you start searching.

The theory test situation wont get better anytime soon. Social distancing means that some centres have half their work stations closed. Some of the staff are of mature years and may well be shielding or living with someone who is. And that’s before you start on the huge backlog.

Practical tests are around 20,000 behind. It’s fair to say that above half of those would be CAT C. So IRO of 10 or 12 thousand folks are, presumably, chasing a reduced number of theory tests.

It can still be done - but flexibility is key.

Peter Smythe:
Practical tests are around 20,000 behind. It’s fair to say that above half of those would be CAT C. So IRO of 10 or 12 thousand folks are, presumably, chasing a reduced number of theory tests.

Are most of the tests you do Pete class 2 ?

What kind of percentage would you say it was ?

Out of interest, and off the top of my head, I would say that it’s around 60/40 C/CE

But it varies when we get apparently half the population wanting to drive one or t’other! Currently, we’re very busy with both classes. But sufficient to say there’s another artic joining the fleet in a couple of weeks.

I don’t suppose you could ever have too many vehicles in a fleet.

Are you getting a new trailer as well ?

What kind of unit will it be ( manufacturer ) ?

Would I be able to persuade you into buying a Scania R730 V8 ready for my class 1 test coming up shortly :laughing:

I don’t suppose you could ever have too many vehicles in a fleet.

Are you getting a new trailer as well ?

What kind of unit will it be ( manufacturer ) ?

Would I be able to persuade you into buying a Scania R730 V8 ready for my class 1 test coming up shortly :laughing:

1. Fleet size is always difficult. Tax, insurance, depreciation is enough to put anyone off having too many (unless they’re working all the time of course) On the other hand, I like to have a bit of spare capacity because every vehicle on the road has problems from time to time.

2. New trailer collected just before lock-down. Just over a year old so very smart.

3. DAF XF. Proper grown up truck as are all our artics.

4. NO!!

Yeah I looked all over Uk online and just got the earliest one!

So if I’m successful in passing theory in sept probs looking at a bit of a wait to get onto practical training?

We’ll be back to normal during September. We’re working hard to clear the backlog and we’re getting on top of it.

Dont know about theory tests in South Wales. Practical tests they are currently travelling to Bristol.