The Wheels of Justice turn slowly

Got done for speeding in October 2020; went through a camera in Hereford at 34 in a 30 limit.

I’d already used up the speed awareness “get out of jail card” earlier that year after being caught by a camera van near my home in the car; similar speed in the same limit.

Was told by employer at the time that it would have to be reported to the TC; okay, no problem with that. Heard nothing, kept my nose clean, carried on.

Came home last weekend to find a warning letter from the TC on my mat, telling me that I had been issued a “strong warning”.

I’m not complaining about that, well aware of the responsibilities etc; but surely a delay of over a year (fourteen months to be precise) between me paying the fine and getting the letter is taking the mick out of it a bit? Can’t be anything to do with DVLA go-slow, surely? Though it might be that there had been a new TC in my area flexing their muscle, but the current one’s been in post nearly two years.

Ah well, just have to keep my nose clean I suppose. Do these “strong warnings” expire when the offence gets wiped after three or four years?

Never had a letter or visit to the TC for speeding offences in any vehicle car or truck.

Strange.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

I assume it is down to whether your employer reports it to the TC.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Just check the timescale
Caught speeding, tell operator, pay fine (conviction), tell operator outcome, only after that will the operator be required to tell the OTC. It’s reported by the operator nt the DVLA. Do you know when the operator notified?

Was it like a standard letter with your name and details inserted into the appropriate spaces or a more personal one.?
Either way it is essentially just them telling you ‘‘what a naughty boy you have been’’ and ‘‘next time it’s bed with no supper’’ reminding you that they are there …
Tbh I wouldn’t bother my arse about it, no point worrying, it’s done now just move on and keep your nose clean until you lose the points.

Does your employer need to inform them by law?
If not I’d be getting revenge. :smiling_imp: :smiley:

Unfortunately Rob it is a legal requirement for vehicle operators to report relevant convictions for both themselves and their employees…Speeding (no matter what the vehicle) is seen as ‘relevant.’ Obviously a TC will be more interested if the matter involved an HGV rather than a relatively minor transgression in a car.

The operator can end up in serious bother for not reporting convictions as it is one of the 'undertakings ’ attached to all licences. I was involved in a company a few years ago with a restricted o-licence, where the company accountant filled in the application forms for a new licence when they bought out another company, Not knowing, he said there weren’t any convictions when there was indeed one for polluting a waterway. Offences under the environmental protection legislation are deemed ‘relevant’ and a real **** storm developed with senior managers having to appear before the TC.

robroy:
Was it like a standard letter with your name and details inserted into the appropriate spaces or a more personal one.?
Either way it is essentially just them telling you ‘‘what a naughty boy you have been’’ and ‘‘next time it’s bed with no supper’’ reminding you that they are there …
Tbh I wouldn’t bother my arse about it, no point worrying, it’s done now just move on and keep your nose clean until you lose the points.

Does your employer need to inform them by law?
If not I’d be getting revenge. :smiling_imp: :smiley:

Computer generated thing, don’t even recall seeing the name of the TC on the bottom.

I was more surprised by the time lag. My old employer would have notified straight away as it was their lorry I was caught in. I’d copped a written warning off them as well.