How quickly are speeding tickets relayed to police?

Think I may have got my first speeding ticket as was flashed by a camera today doing a few mph over the limit.

I’m going to email the central ticket office as one of my colleagues did this recently and had a reply within 24hrs confirming he didn’t have a ticket (camera was obviously not active).

What I’m wondering is how soon the ticketing office is likely to be aware? Are the cameras linked to the office or do they get ticket updates 3x a week for instance?

Depends on the camera. There are still plenty of film type speed cameras around which have to be manually “unloaded” at the roadside every few days and the film developed, photos analysed etc. Others are indeed directly networked to the office.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Cheers pal. This was one of the standard ‘yellow box on a pole’ ones. A gatso I believe.

Don’t worry about it. If it’s happened then it’s happened and it will find it’s way to you in due course.

If it hasn’t then no news is good news.

Either way, worrying about it will not change the outcome one little bit.

Just found an article about how this ‘notorious’ camera has caught so many people, so looks like I may be sheet outta luck!

Wondering if I may be offered a speed awareness course as a first time offender or whether the aggravating factor of driving a HGV makes this unlikely.

The fact you were driving a lorry shouldn’t make any difference to the offering of an awareness course - as long as your speed was under the appropriate threshold…

Ah ok, that’s good to hear.

I was doing 36 in a 30 so a Band A offence I believe.

just remember you only need to attend the course,you dont need to participate in answering questions like the good puppies will be doing as it matters not a bit.
just appear,sit quietly away from the front,dont make eye contact and drift away for a couple of hours chronic boredom and then leave.
if you actually think you have learned anything from the ordeal then you shouldnt be driving anyway.
you can draw pictures and doodle in the wee book you get to make it look like your taking notes or whatever but there is no pass r fail,and no test.
you only need to attend,not be disruptive and then job done.
the dudes are going through the motions of doing their job and wont be the slightest bit interested if you interact or not.

dieseldog999:
just remember you only need to attend the course,you dont need to participate in answering questions like the good puppies will be doing as it matters not a bit.
just appear,sit quietly away from the front,dont make eye contact and drift away for a couple of hours chronic boredom and then leave.
if you actually think you have learned anything from the ordeal then you shouldnt be driving anyway.

Pretty much all of the above. I would add that unless you’re one of those who regularly collects points I would weigh up the cost of doing the course, travelling costs to it and loss of a day’s wage against just paying the fixed penalty. Certainly a solitary 3 points on your licence won’t bump up your insurance nor risk your job.

Cheers guys, that’s some solid advice.

Conor:
Certainly a solitary 3 points on your licence won’t bump up your insurance

Certainly? I know it did mine - and a quick prod at a comparison website seems to confirm that many insurers load premiums even with only 3 points present. Admittedly, in my case it would only amount to an extra £150 (i.e. £30 a year for five years), but I still think I’d rather sacrifice a day’s holiday (no impact on pay!) than gamble on something which could come back to bite me any time in the next five years…

usually before 14 days for private vehicle
or before 3 months for company vehicle as the nip goes to the registered keeper ie the hire company who send it back to the police then another nip is sent to your company who will inform them it was you who were driving ( they may or may not tell you you have one on the way ) and finally you will get letter in the post

either way dont sweat it till you see the nip then best option is just bribe the goverment for the privilege of not having them put points onto your licence as eventually points result in having to buy a buss pass…kerching for the gov again.

More revenue for the government if they let you keep your licence (from VAT, fuel duty, vehicle excise duty, IPT etc). Anyways, where do you buy a bus pass from the government? Bus passes are what they give away to the lame, feckless and unemployable. Nearest you can do is buy bus tickets, which only results in money going to those private bus companies, not the government!

Roymondo:
More revenue for the government if they let you keep your licence (from VAT, fuel duty, vehicle excise duty, IPT etc). Anyways, where do you buy a bus pass from the government? Bus passes are what they give away to the lame, feckless and unemployable. Nearest you can do is buy bus tickets, which only results in money going to those private bus companies, not the government!

To be fair to dd999, the buses in Northern Ireland are state-run

No speed awareness course in Scotland…! :neutral_face:

dieseldog999:
you can draw pictures and doodle in the wee book you get to make it look like your taking notes or whatever but there is no pass r fail,and no test.
you only need to attend,not be disruptive and then job done.
the dudes are going through the motions of doing their job and wont be the slightest bit interested if you interact or not.

When I went on mine, I took it as an opportunity to educate some car drivers about why we only do 40 (as it was then) on single carriageways and 56 on DC’s and motorways. I’ve no idea if it had any effect, but it whiled away the time and sparked an interesting discussion.

There is always something to learn, however long you have been doing the job.

Basket:

Roymondo:

To be fair to dd999, the buses in Northern Ireland are state-run

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
to be fair to mr pedantic nitpicker personified,then i kinda see where the confusion arises from as i was meaning “kerching” in relation to the option of being able to pay the government as an option of points .
he just jumped onto the thought of being able to find some fault with the post as somehow it seems to give him great pleasure in finding some fault or another no matter how slight.
possibly some mental issues from being a plod and aware everyone and their granny will despise him,and most likely other plods also…but there you go.time yet again to hear the sound of a keyboard getting hammered to frantic death shortly… :laughing:

Notimetoulouse:
or before 3 months for company vehicle as the nip goes to the registered keeper ie the hire company who send it back to the police then another nip is sent to your company who will inform them it was you who were driving ( they may or may not tell you you have one on the way ) and finally you will get letter in the post

What if it’s a company owned vehicle (not on hire)? How long then?

ETS:

Notimetoulouse:

What if it’s a company owned vehicle (not on hire)? How long then?

Will depend almost entirely on the company. Police must serve Notice of Intended Prosecution on the registered keeper within 14 days. There is no similar requirement for notices to be served on users/drivers subsequently identified (although they do normally send them anyway). Hopefully your employer would be good enough to at least tell you a NIP has been received, but they will have up to a month to respond to the “name the driver” request.

Assuming the initial NIP was served within 14 days, Police have 6 months from date of offence to issue summonses.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk