Tescos using Marshalls?

Spotted at my local Tescos yesterday Merc Actros in Marshalls Building products pulling Tesco,s trailer. Sign of the times or is Stobarts subbing work out?

tarmactipper:
Spotted at my local Tescos yesterday Merc Actros in Marshalls Building products pulling Tesco,s trailer. Sign of the times or is Stobarts subbing work out?

Marshalls work for Tescos every year in the lead up to Christmas, they carry cinders for unruly kids

tarmactipper:

This time of year up to Christmas Marshalls are subbing for Stobart!

Yep marshalls are stobbies subbies.

ok:shock: anybody got a idea what the rates are?

Seen Maritime (sp?) as well subbing for Stobarts do they normally do it too

Thought you meant they were going to shoot us if we go near our cabs while being tipped :laughing:

danny_mk2:
Seen Maritime (sp?) as well subbing for Stobarts do they normally do it too

I don’t think they are…

Regards,
Nick

The maritme trucks pulling tesco trailers are working direct, not through stobarts

iirc Maritime have a contract to offload containers & prepare & deliver the contents as required to Tesco amongst others.
Marshalls sub direct to Tesco I believe,also RDL &/or their subbies (amongst others) sub for Sainsbury’s at this time of year & Hanson sub to Fowler Welch too,as construction slows at this time of year the fleets are readily available for this kind of work.

Wheel Nut:

tarmactipper:

Marshalls work for Tescos every year in the lead up to Christmas, they carry cinders for unruly kids

yes marshalls usually do stobarts work just after stobart pays a load of drivers off!!

This thread pops up every year,and gets answered the same way, Marshalls have a couple of top men who were once connected to Stobart somehow, the building trade goes slack in winter, the Marshall drivers still want to earn a wage

Wheel Nut:
This thread pops up every year,and gets answered the same way, Marshalls have a couple of top men who were once connected to Stobart somehow, the building trade goes slack in winter, the Marshall drivers still want to earn a wage

correct! pat on back!! :wink:

Wheel Nut:

That might explain the blistering speed ( 95ish kph) of the Marshall Mercedes Whatever(no interest) that passed me and a Stobart on the way to Goole and not long after was zooming off towards Market Weighton.
Presumably if they are “top men” they are on a mission.
Never seen a Tesco trailer move so fast :open_mouth:
Regards,
Nick.

I think I am in the best position to answer the op, as Marshalls are one of our agency’s customers, and I was in today…

Last year, Marshalls had 43 vehicles nationwide on for Stobbies, the first ones went on 2 days ago, and this year there aren’t as many.

They worked until Xmas eve last year, and this year will probably be the same. The drivers are trampers (Cue the fighting from Stobbies boys.) and are in the main, Mon-Fri.

I personally don’t see how Marshalls can make it pay, because by the time they’ve paid for the running of the vehicle, drivers wages etc, Stobbies can’t be paying that much, or are they?

The reason you see Marshalls on Stobbies work, is because some of Marshalls hierachy are ex Stobbies, and during Marshalls busy time, Stobbies vehicles are doing Marshall loads out of the works. You scratch my back and I’ll scratch yours.

And if any Marshalls motor will do 95kph, then let me know which one because all the ones I’ve driven are lucky to do 89kph. Remember, they are 2544 Mercs, not the best.

Ken.

Wheel Nut:

its very intresting how its all interconnected,i was on about how we were getting all this work off a super market chain[not morr] to a mate,he said its because --------- who is on the -------- ----------,is also on the ---------- ---------,i delved into this as you do,and there it is the same name,ive got up a pic of him on the --------- ---------, but as yet i havent managed to find one of him on -------- ----------,names are the same but until i find pic i cant confirm mates right 100%

we do work for stobbies on the biomass side and their rates are better than jenkinsons and their payment terms are quicker as well :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Quinny:
I personally don’t see how Marshalls can make it pay, because by the time they’ve paid for the running of the vehicle, drivers wages etc, Stobbies can’t be paying that much, or are they?

Think you’ll find that the rates are actually very reasonable as the supermarkets will take on anyone they can in the run up to Christmas, such is the extra demand for (mainly) traction haulage. Day raters can earn £600 to £700 a day traction only in the fortnight before Christmas. Not bad if you’re normal line of work goes slack around the festive period…

Quinny:
And if any Marshalls motor will do 95kph, then let me know which one because all the ones I’ve driven are lucky to do 89kph. Remember, they are 2544 Mercs, not the best.
Ken.

That’s why I thought it remarkable, I would normally pass a Marshall’s Mercedes, but not this one…

Regards,
Nick.

Simon71:
Think you’ll find that the rates are actually very reasonable as the supermarkets will take on anyone they can in the run up to Christmas, such is the extra demand for (mainly) traction haulage. Day raters can earn £600 to £700 a day traction only in the fortnight before Christmas. Not bad if you’re normal line of work goes slack around the festive period…

Yep, six or seven years ago my boss was putting trucks into Sainsbury’s in the run-up to Christmas at £350 a day and the most we ever did was 80 miles and we often didn’t do anything.