Prestons pulling for Tesco

Saw a Preston of Potato truck haulin a trolley for Tesco on Saturday, Have only ever really seen there trucks doing STGO loads etc and sometimes pulling one of their own tauts. Have they always done work for tesco and just dont use tesco trailers very often?

CC

I saw one about the Forth road bridge on Friday or Saturday.See them there often but first time with a Tesco trailer.

Probly subbing for Stobarts.

Could be linked to the Tosco “import centre” @ Teesport … i know you see various hauliers pulling ASDA trls that are obviously running out of their Teesport centre.
I presume it is Sobarts that is running Tosco Teesport ?

They do traction at welham green with the motors from their st neots depot. They’ve been doing it for a little while now as some of the normal work has dropped off

OVLOV JAY:
They do traction at welham green with the motors from their st neots depot. They’ve been doing it for a little while now as some of the normal work has dropped off

that would explain it then, as i spotted it near Sandy.

Prestons have always run a varied fleet, when I worked there they had everything from Bulk powder tankers , Flats, 40-60’’ extenders, curtainsiders, Semi low loaders, Pole trailers, double extenders, 50’’ rigid flats, Tauts, Box trailers, Brick trailers and rigids with cranes, and even a couple of Liquid tankers, they seem to be even more varied now as have spotted them pulling containers as well as the said store trailers, they also had trailers in ASDA at Teesport last time I looked.

Prestons are one of those companies that actively explore new markets constantly and will invest in the equipment if the rates are right. They also over recent years have gone heavily into value added services such as warehousing, picking, and total logistics management both on their premises and managing customers own warehouses/transport operations, providing warehouse staff and mangement.

About the only things I have not seen them pull are fuel tankers and tippers. :grimacing: I would guess that Prestons must be somewhere near the top of the list for large family hauliers ( MT tables show them in the top 100 with a pre tax profit in 2009 of £234,000 Source : roadtransport.com/static-pag … roduction/ ) and have shown that you dont have to be part of some huge faceless conglomerate to survive and succeed even in recession.

we used to use prestons when I worked at sherburn for stobs on the coca cola contract,
though at one point prestons refused to send any vehicles in until we could guarantee a turn around of less then 2 hours, at one point a prestons driver was in nearly all day waiting for load…

they are working out of the asda and tesco at teesport with there own trailers, never seen them up this way with a tesco trailer on, the containers they are doing are for the end customer they arent on boxes generally, they come in loaded with glass, pick them up and take them upto potto to be unloaded then stored and delivered as required