Tax Code problem

First post …so be gentle with me.
HMRC changed my tax code about 4 months ago and despite telling our HR department they are still using the old tax code…this leaves me having less take home wages than I should have.
Checked the rest of the internet and all I can find is that the employer is obligated to use the correct tax code that HMRC tell them.
When it comes to stopping wages for sick day or holiday etc they are bang on…anyone got any experience of their payroll department constantly ‘forgetting’ to apply the correct tax code .
On a similar note can we claim tax relief for buying our own pro Satnavs, dashcam maps etc Or is it not worth doing ?
:question:

Can’t help with the claiming back for sat nags etc I’m afraid, but my own personal experiences with tax codes is don’t sweat it, if you can offord to live on what you’re currently banking then leave it as a nest egg for a while. I was on emergency tax for some reason recently and I left it for 18 months before tackling it. It made for a cracking weeks wages as I’d treated it as a kind of holiday fund.

Despite their apparent incompetence the tax offic WILL get it right eventually.

If you don’t want to do what maoster said you can always ring up the tax office that your employer deals with and ask them to resend the tax code. It’s done electronically and this may jog your employer to correct it.

If they haven’t got the correct coding notice direct from HMRC they’ll use Week 1 or whatever. You’re assuming they’ve been given the correct coding notice, have you phoned HMRC to confirm?

You’ll get it back through your wages once they do so it isn’t like you’ll lose any money - think of it as an enforced savings scheme.

The employer is compelled to use whatever code HMRC issues. They are not privy to all your personal circumstances and so have insufficient knowledge to override HMRC instructions even if they had the power to.

If an employer fails to collect the tax HMRC told them to via PAYE, the employer can become liable for the shortfall.

Your tax code is a private matter between you and the tax office. If you think it is wrong, the onus is on you to contact HMRC to get it corrected. Even if they do correct it, they are likely to do so on a W1/M1 basis rather than ■■■■■■■■■■■ That means it will be right going forward, but you might need to fill in a tax return at the end of the year to get the back-tax refunded.

As for satnavs, you cannot claim tax relief as an employee on satnav expenses. This is in contrast to companies, for whom satnav expenses are tax-relievable.

So the tax system is inconsistent…who would have believed it…?

Why don’t you just give your employer a copy of the new coding notice sent by HMRC??

That’s the easy option I took when it changed last tax year as got HMRC to agree to include my expenses in tax code.

Thanks for the tips… I hate being ripped off !