Tax code again

Just looking at this weeks wages £1139.70 I’ve paid £295.35 in stoppages , £207 tax , which sounded a awful lot to me , now I started the year on a normal tax code but it some point it seems I’ve been moved to br/o , what’s that all about , I thought this tax crap was over when I came off agency & went full time seems not
So what’s br/o tax code , and why would you be put on it ? Received no correspondence from tax office
■■■■■■ off !!

Every day…

In every way, I’m getting better.

As I’m sure you can guess, BR means basic rate so 20% with no personal allowance.
Your employer should only be using what HMRC tell them, so you probably need to deal with them instead of your employer.
You could start here if you have a government gateway? gov.uk/check-income-tax-current-year

My Mrs had the same and get messed around with different tax codes changing with three jobs , rang them a few times , nothing happened, rang again, got it sorted then they changed it wrong again.

Had this on my first pay packet coming off agency and going full time. Because I was paid 2 weeks in arrears for agency and 1 week FT I got paid from both on the Friday. HMRC thought I was working 2 jobs so applied Basic Rate to the FT job they assumed was a second income.

Sorted itself out the next couple of weeks, pretty much paid no tax for those couple of weeks.

I am online with the HMRC website and downloaded their app to check my future pension for missing NI contributions and topped it up to get £59 per week extra on retirement, it was Martin Lewis that plugged this but he crashed their website and jammed up the HMRC phone lines as they are short of staff.

I’ve got a feeling it’s to do with works pension , they ( company pay a % ) , this tax code seems to have started at same time pension did , my pension for whatever reason never started in jan when I started , it was roughly 3 months later after various what’s happening with my pension
Wages are comming back to me on it , soon as they’ve a moment , seems to say reading up its company’s idea if there not sure what tax you’ll pay n year , makes sense as had no letters ( mrs confirmed ) from tax man

I had same situation about year ago came off agency went working direct for. Place was with on agency. 1st weeks pay was about £50 short…they changed my tax code to br basic rate. Wages dept said can’t do nothing about it. Even though they had my P45 /p 60 or what ever it was…rang HMRC after about 4 attempts and being on hold for hours for though.
Eventually got right tax code and a tax refund of about a grand

What many people don’t realise is that income tax is an annual charge. The code is just a way for employers to be sure to take enough off you so you don’t end up in arrears. Sudden changes confuse the system, but it should all work out in the end.

It does pay to keep an eye on it though.

So Grantham finest limper is hitting the higher tax bracket
Oh deer What a shame
Never mid

dozy:
I’ve got a feeling it’s to do with works pension , they ( company pay a % ) , this tax code seems to have started at same time pension did , my pension for whatever reason never started in jan when I started , it was roughly 3 months later after various what’s happening with my pension
Wages are comming back to me on it , soon as they’ve a moment , seems to say reading up its company’s idea if there not sure what tax you’ll pay n year , makes sense as had no letters ( mrs confirmed ) from tax man

Works pension. Only if you are receiving it? And not paying into it.

If company is not sure■■? Did you not give them your P45 from your last job?

stu675:

dozy:

Works pension. Only if you are receiving it? And not paying into it.

If company is not sure■■? Did you not give them your P45 from your last job?

Yes they had p45 & tax code was correct , they pay a % towards pension / I do , now tax code has changed to br/o & looking at pay slips this seems to coincide with when pension was started , they’ve not got back yet & on 2 days rest , pay dept not in Sunday so hopefully get a reply mon .
Can’t understand how I missed change in tax code as changed months ago, suprised pay dept / tax office never informed me of change
Thanks for help stu

So your getting a pension . And since you started recieving it your tax has gone up?
If so ring HMRC as I receive £100 a month private pension from Prudential.
For some reason when I eventually got hold of HMRC they had pension down as income from a second job and.
Explain it’s. A pension income and they should change your tax code accordingly

blue estate:
Oh deer What a shame
Never mid

How sad , I spent years on pea nuts & buttons according to loads on here , I’m now on decent money & you begrudge me getting it , thank god I’m not like you , bitter & envious . anyone who’s done well , earns a good wage would get a well done from me ,
You don’t get me getting all bitter/ twisted about the brand new Chinese pile of crap you brought for 30 k do you while I run round in a old 65 plate £6,000 focus , I should do as I’ve worked for 50 yrs & never had a new car ,bloke next door has just got a 69 plate civic , as has his son , I just said very nice , good luck to them , Christ I bet you’d be spitting feathers over it , very sad ,

edd1974:
So your getting a pension . And since you started recieving it your tax has gone up?
If so ring HMRC as I receive £100 a month private pension from Prudential.
For some reason when I eventually got hold of HMRC they had pension down as income from a second job and.
Explain it’s. A pension income and they should change your tax code accordingly

No I’m not receiving a pension , I’m / company are paying into one , it’s just that when the company started the pension my tax code changed , thanks will see what pay dept say

Just got txt , didn’t know wages were there this late , looking at it & will update when have answer

I started receiving a pension courtesy of the British Army last month. It’s far from a life changing amount but in the same week I also received a letter from the ■■■■ ers at HMRC altering my tax code, meaning that the pension is probably worth the SQRFA.

the maoster:
I started receiving a pension courtesy of the British Army last month. It’s far from a life changing amount but in the same week I also received a letter from the [zb] ers at HMRC altering my tax code, meaning that the pension is probably worth the SQRFA.

Yep, all your income - wages + pension + any other income all goes in the same pot, deduct personal allowance then tax what’s left :neutral_face:

the maoster:
I started receiving a pension courtesy of the tBritish Army last month. It’s far from a life changing amount but in the same week I also received a letter from the [zb] ers at HMRC altering my tax code, meaning that the pension is probably worth the SQRFA.

If mine is money related ( I’m not convinced ) then contract or not I won’t be doing any extra shifts , I did broach subject of 4 days with company ( knock Sunday on head / mon- thurs ) but wouldn’t entertain it .

blue estate:
Oh deer What a shame
Never mid

Here you go this is what the next door neighbours have , Christ even the women next door who’s a cleaner at the local school has a newer , better model car than my old 65 plate focus , am I envious , am I bitter & twisted , no I’m not , they both work & are a lovely couple so deserve what they have , take a leaf out of my book & be happy for other people who better themselves , have better than you

B8433D2A-FB36-414A-B62F-D13667D7E220.jpeg