Tax code again

dozy:

the maoster:
I started receiving a pension courtesy of the tBritish Army last month. It’s far from a life changing amount but in the same week I also received a letter from the [zb] ers at HMRC altering my tax code, meaning that the pension is probably worth the SQRFA.

If mine is money related ( I’m not convinced ) then contract or not I won’t be doing any extra shifts , I did broach subject of 4 days with company ( knock Sunday on head / mon- thurs ) but wouldn’t entertain it .

BR is never money related (and nothing to do with your pension) it’s just one party (either employer or HMRC) with missing information, that you need to resolve.

Not come back yet stu , no idea what tax office would want to know as company have had p45 ( tax code was corrected when they received p45 ) and company have all details of pay etc so should be able to supply any info tax office want to know , looks like tax code changed months ago so you’d of thought they’d of supplied info by now , resolved issue , if it’s something pay dept want to know I’d of thought they’d contact me .
It just seems strange tax code changed same time company started pension scheme
Will wait & see what they say , ta

dozy:
Just looking at this weeks wages £1139.70 I’ve paid £295.35 in stoppages , £207 tax , which sounded a awful lot to me , now I started the year on a normal tax code but it some point it seems I’ve been moved to br/o , what’s that all about , I thought this tax crap was over when I came off agency & went full time seems not
So what’s br/o tax code , and why would you be put on it ? Received no correspondence from tax office
■■■■■■ off !!

looks near enough correct to me if you was on a 1257l tax code you would pay around £215 tax or around £200 tax if in an auto enrolment pension with tax relief at source

thesalarycalculator.co.uk/salary.php

shullbit:

dozy:
Just looking at this weeks wages £1139.70 I’ve paid £295.35 in stoppages , £207 tax , which sounded a awful lot to me , now I started the year on a normal tax code but it some point it seems I’ve been moved to br/o , what’s that all about , I thought this tax crap was over when I came off agency & went full time seems not
So what’s br/o tax code , and why would you be put on it ? Received no correspondence from tax office
■■■■■■ off !!

looks near enough correct to me if you was on a 1257l tax code you would pay around £215 tax or around £200 tax if in an auto enrolment pension with tax relief at source

thesalarycalculator.co.uk/salary.php

Yes I was on 1257l , I thought it changed when company started works pension ( me / them paying into it ) but on looking at it again it changed to br/o at the beginning of tax year / week 1 , no idea why I’ve not noticed it before , just £300 stoppages caught my eye
As above it seems to say you go on that whilst tax office are waiting for some info , 5 months seems a awful long time for pay dept to forward to tax office info , and the fact they’ve not given me a reply to my query / investigating makes me believe someone has slipped up here
Agree though looking through pay slips tax is very similar 1257l or br/ o , just caught my eye this week
Will see what they say when they come back , always check hours , picked up I wasn’t paying pension , but will have a better look from now on , ta

I’ll take £300 stoppages, mine was £327 despite my 12% pension contributions in an attempt to reduce my tax burden.

Takes a while waiting on phone but I spoke to HMRC on Wed morn to get my tax code reduced as no longer tramping and no expenses to claim back.
New tax coding letter from HMRC arrived this morn so they are quick on the ball when you contact them!!!

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

Got txts saying tax code sorted , no explanation, when it would change to correct tax code

Did you remember to cancel your Job Seeker’s Allowance?

the maoster:
I’ll take £300 stoppages, mine was £327 despite my 12% pension contributions in an attempt to reduce my tax burden.

Swap?

In my last four weekly payslip I paid, after pension deductions…

Tax £544.60
NI £325.03

Total £869.63

And you know what until this thread I’d never really looked at it :open_mouth:

Over a year that’s like £11k to drive on potholed roads, not get to see a doctor, hope an ambulance might arrive before I die, pay EXTRA “voluntary contribution” towards my lads school equipment. You know, all these things that we’re supposed to pay towards…

And with 27 (currently) years until I retire I’m not even sure I’ll get a state pension out of it :confused:

Not as bad as up here. As if paying 21% intermediate rate isn’t bad enough, the higher rate is 42% and it kicks in £6608 earlier at £43663…

…but we do get free prescriptions and eye tests…

toonsy:
Swap?

Yes please. I’m weekly paid :wink:

Noremac:
Did you remember to cancel your Job Seeker’s Allowance?

Not my job , they said you don’t need to contact us unless your circumstances change , they haven’t , I’ve used it to pay for ins / tires etc on fireblade .

Noremac:
Not as bad as up here. As if paying 21% intermediate rate isn’t bad enough, the higher rate is 42% and it kicks in £6608 earlier at £43663…

…but we do get free prescriptions and eye tests…

I get free prescriptions , eye tests , have done for 3 yrs

Still on br/0 , hopeless ,

Tax code sorted this week , £1,300 rebate , still no idea why it was changed to br/0

Maybe a lot of government staff are still working from home and not experienced enough so make mistakes, if they are working in an office environment maybe it’s only a few days per week.

Bone Shaker:
Maybe a lot of government staff are still working from home and not experienced enough so make mistakes, if they are working in an office environment maybe it’s only a few days per week.

The civil service aren’t the most efficient at anything unless its wanting money.

I’ve been waiting on a DBS renewal for coaching the kids football since June. It’s been complete (as in all the checks part) since start of August and is officially waiting on the case tracker thing as “printing certificate” for nigh on a month. To print a certificate :unamused:

Of course ice called the number which plays a ore recorded message back to the website to get the number I’m already calling before hanging up so I’ve sent an email and “can expect a response in ten working days”

That sounds exasperating.

edd1974:
So your getting a pension . And since you started recieving it your tax has gone up?
If so ring HMRC as I receive £100 a month private pension from Prudential.
For some reason when I eventually got hold of HMRC they had pension down as income from a second job and.
Explain it’s. A pension income and they should change your tax code accordingly

I don’t understand.

Pensions are income just like wages and are added to income for tax. I get three pensions, and because they can’t tax the State pension, they add that to the other two and take it from them.

Wherever you work and whatever you do, keep all the payslips. After the end of the tax year (April 5th) you will get a P60 from all your employers in that year, pensions as well, which show how much you earned and how much tax you paid. A few minutes with a calculator and one of the many “check your tax” websites, will tell you if you are paying the right amount.

If you have been paying too little, keep schtum, but expect HMRC to catch up eventually and claw it back. If you paid too much, but not much, just wait for them to sort it out for you. You may get a cheque, or they may raise your code.

If there is a big (several £hundred) discrepancy, you need to start phoning and writing to HMRC, but don’t expect a fast resolution.