AGENCY/TAX/REBATE Advice please

I hope its ok to post this one in here, kinda hoped enough of you blokes may have some knowledge on this…

Right I’ve just been dumped by agency…(non driving role)…and had never had a P45 or shizzle from them, just wage slips an pay.

Now I’ve been on an emergency tax code…(pretty sure anyway)…and been told I should get back what I’ve paid.
Question is how do I get it back if at all as I have ZERO faith in HMRC and kinda hoped you fella’s would be far more experienced in this matter…

Apologies if seems an obvious one but after the day I’ve had today I really cant face dealing with a government department right now, but a general heads up would really help for when i inevitably do…

REALLY APPRECIATE any advice and many thanks in advance :sunglasses:

Benjie :blush:

Id phone HMRC as they ain’t as bad as they appear, they would rather someone pay the correct tax, however getting monies refunded can be long winded, but does happen eventually

Things have improved in the PAYE system since they brought in RTI (Real Time Information) a couple of years ago. Each time a company pays you via PAYE they submit details of the payment to HMRC online, so the tax computers get up to date information pretty quickly. That enables them to issue new tax codes to new employers within a month or so of you starting another job, and if your circumstances are reasonably straightforward (i.e. one job at a time paid through PAYE) then they’ll likely get it right.

If you don’t think they’re right then call them. If, after the end of the tax year, you still think they’ve taken the wrong amount of tax then ask them for a self-assessment form. Fill it in with details of your employments and pay/tax for the year gone and if they accept it they’ll adjust your tax accordingly.

(incidentally, if you’ve been on a temporary assignment via an agency and it was under 2 years in duration, remember you are entitled to claim mileage or travel expenses to a temporary workplace)

Cheers gents :sunglasses:

According to some info I’ve found my tax code is OT which don’t sound good…

Hey ho time to take another kick in the nuts me fears :imp:

0T usually gets handed out if you didn’t give them a P45 or complete a P46 when you started so they have no tax code to go on and just tax everything you earn.

Your last wage slip should have the total you’ve earned with them and the tax you’ve paid. HMRC can use that to work out how much you’re owed.

As you’ve not got a P45, when you go to your next job ask them for a P46 and complete that. You’ll be on 0T/BR for a few weeks until they get your tax code from HMRC but then it should be right and any overpaid tax from that employer will be refunded through your wages.

Conor:
0T usually gets handed out if you didn’t give them a P45 or complete a P46 when you started so they have no tax code to go on and just tax everything you earn.

Your last wage slip should have the total you’ve earned with them and the tax you’ve paid. HMRC can use that to work out how much you’re owed.

As you’ve not got a P45, when you go to your next job ask them for a P46 and complete that. You’ll be on 0T/BR for a few weeks until they get your tax code from HMRC but then it should be right and any overpaid tax from that employer will be refunded through your wages.

Massive thanks fella…tbh they were a bunch of crooks, told me they had sorted P46, so after 1st month of continual belligerence from them I just thought sod it its a job, plus other agency guys had been led to believe we’d get it back regardless so I started too treat it as a savings account if I’m hones…stupidly.

HOPING I’m entitled to a refund…(doubtful)…as I finished my last job July 15iirc and started this one July 25th so probs owe tax…ive paid 700+ so shows how little I earned…

I shall make the call tomorrow, I’m no muslim but I’m aiming for mecca on this one as it would help towards my C2 hugely :frowning:

Thanks again TNUK members, your all legends :sunglasses: