HMRC woes.

Just spoke to my better half and she tells me that there is a dreaded brown envelope from HMRC arrived today. I asked her to open it and read it out. From what I can gather the gist of it is that they are altering my tax code for the next financial year to cover an alleged £1200 shortfall from the last financial year.

My question is why is there a shortfall? I’m PAYE and am taxed at source so has someone cocked up? I’ll probably ring them next week to find out wtf it’s all about but as I know that there are so many tax experts here :smiley: I’d ask here first.

Maybe you’ve earnt too much and gone into the higher tax band.

Did u bang a claim in when it was alleged we could get tax back on all sorts of stuff ? Some of the lads I work with have been stiffed big time one of em for over 2 grand , and they messed about with his tax code cos of a shortfall

commonrail:

To go into the higher tax band a person would need to earn roughly £880 per week (I may well be mistaken) but it was always my belief that you paid the higher rate from day one on any amount over that £880 as opposed to say paying high rate tax from February or whatever.

Again I may be mistaken about that.

I just got a £100 penalty notice for submitting a late return.

My return went in on-line on Jan 28…the deadline was Jan 31. I also paid the tax due on Jan 28. I’ve sent them a note explaining this, a print-out from my computer showing the payment made before the due date, and a 'January" page from a 2018 calendar showing that the 28th happens before the 31st.

I hope they can understand all this complicated stuff with numbers and everything.

if youve got much money in the bank suggest you empty it. the govt got new powers last summer where if they think you owe, they can search and seize funds from a bank account with no notice. in the old days you got a few reminders then off to court ,not now its all changed

largebloke1969:
Did u bang a claim in when it was alleged we could get tax back on all sorts of stuff ? Some of the lads I work with have been stiffed big time one of em for over 2 grand , and they messed about with his tax code cos of a shortfall

No mate, never bothered. I always treat that with suspicion believing that behind every scheme is a schemer!

corij:
if youve got much money in the bank suggest you empty it. the govt got new powers last summer where if they think you owe, they can search and seize funds from a bank account with no notice. in the old days you got a few reminders then off to court ,not now its all changed

They’re not actually demanding the £1200 back in a separate payment from me, they apparently are adjusting my tax code so they can take it at source.

I had the same a couple of months ago. I’ve always been PAYE. It listed my current and last two jobs for some reason and said they’re altering my tax code cos I’m 1200 quid adrift :confused:

Did you change jobs part through the year? That can sometimes cause issues

kcrussell25:
Did you change jobs part through the year? That can sometimes cause issues

No mate, 3 full financial years as PAYE at the same place.

Moaster, kids? have they altered child allowance in any way? Have they suddenly found that they’ve given you too much?

pierrot 14:
Moaster, kids? have they altered child allowance in any way? Have they suddenly found that they’ve given you too much?

You flatter me mon ami :smiley: . My kids are almost 30 years old now so that can’t be it.

I had a £100 fine today through the post .I forgot to tell them i was no longer self employed ,Missed januarys deadline etc .
A quick call and they cancelled it and put my account dormant .Call them they are helpful if you are pleasant .

Yeah I’ll bell them next week when I have the letter in my hand. I feel a bit cheeky since I never paid the £20 odd k bill from when I was agency with Think Accounting. :smiley: :smiley:

Unfortunately it doesn’t matter if your employer has cocked up they will still want the money from you.

the maoster:

commonrail:

To go into the higher tax band a person would need to earn roughly £880 per week (I may well be mistaken) but it was always my belief that you paid the higher rate from day one on any amount over that £880 as opposed to say paying high rate tax from February or whatever.

Again I may be mistaken about that.

I would’nt expect them to take a higher rate from the occaisonal £880…but if you keep earning it,they’ll eventually change your tax code.
Just a guess though

xichrisxi:
Unfortunately it doesn’t matter if your employer has cocked up they will still want the money from you.

You are absolutely correct in saying that mate. Fortunately we have a great union so I’m hoping that if my employers have cocked up I can get them to pay it! Stranger things have happened where I work.

If you have more than one job or your pay changes each month HMRC estimate your tax as the year goes in . I had a couple of good months which made them estimate my tax would end higher st the year end and I got the same letter as you. However next few months were quieter and they may end up owing me it back. Register for on line tax checking and you can monitor pay and estimates as the year goes on

Although now I think about it…there was some kind of fork up with my tax code,at the start of the(tax) year.
Can’t remember exactly what it was about,but wages woman said it would soon be sorted.
Temporary change in tax code…rings a bell.