TANKER FIRE

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/berk … 462794.stm

Check out this story of the tanker fire.

Just as they got back to work.

Maybe he just wanted another day off.

i was stuck in it about 1/2 mile from the scene for about 2 hours this morning

I was stuck down there too… had to do a split load one in Basingstoke Shell Buckskin then back to Speen in Newbury … took me 4 hour’s to get Buckskin after all the hassle of getting through Newbury a Penton’s lorry had broken down on the A339 aaarghh.

Had to drop my last load Marston’s in Burton on Trent :laughing:

Interestingly, on Breakfast (BBC1) this morning, about 0830 on the local news, they reported it, and said that it was probably going to stay shut for the rest of the morning until lunchtime. A couple of minutes later, they cut to Ascot, and the people said that it had already reopened…

:open_mouth: Hope no-one got hurt :question: Hell of a way to make a fuel protest / traffic jam though :laughing: :laughing:

I got stuck in the jam for an hour and an half this morning on my way to newbury after doing a drop in reading ,and then to add insult to injury cos I was,late for my booking in time the place I was delivering at didnt unload me till 4 this afternoon, gits

so now rather than running back to cannock empty I’m having to have a night out in newbury and then run into swansea tommorrow to do a collection arrrgh hate the M5 on a friday

I love the drama of this story :laughing: . Er hello, it’s fuel of diesel therefore there’s no drama here. :unamused:

I was going to Southampton dock from South Wales so i used the A350 down through Chippenham instead but had a high cube container on so went down the A303 onto the A34 instead of staying on the A36, took me about a hour longer than usual trip to Southampton

Is it just me or is there an Airport Fire Engine in that BBC photo !!!

Discopete:

Looks very much like it. Cant think were it would have come from.

you are both right it was an airport fire engine they used it to cool the trailer down only just managed to squeeze up the hard shoulder then went back the same way instead of going up to the 34 and abck down the other carridgeway. couldn’t quite work that one out but there you go

I have heard 2 reports about this, one that it was a tyre fire and the other was a brake binding.

Now unless things have changed I was always taught that you keep driving to run the tyre off the rim if it was a tyre, not to drop the trailer on the hard shoulder and call the fire service.

but anyway no one was injured

Wheel Nut:
Now unless things have changed I was always taught that you keep driving to run the tyre off the rim if it was a tyre, not to drop the trailer on the hard shoulder and call the fire service.

This might well be a question of the larger fuel companies having their own code of practice, or even company policy.

Current teaching in the ADR course is to pull over immediately if there’s a tyre fire and phone 999 for the Fire-Brigade. Next, a driver is supposed to tackle a tyre fire with the larger of the fire extinguishers that must be on board the vehicle. We should also realise that many companies have more than the minimum number/sizes of fire extinguishers required by ADR on their vehicles.

The driver’s aim is to control the fire using VERY short (1-2 secs) bursts of extinguishant, usually dry powder. The idea is that the powder shatters the flames, and we’ll remember from school that a shattered flame can no longer exist. However, truck tyre fires will most probably re-ignite, since dry powder has no cooling effect and the tyre rubber is very dense. Once the driver has done as above, the fire is under control but NOT extinguished. The driver is then supposed to wait for the fire to re-ignite, before hitting it once more with a very short burst of extinguishant. Proper extinguishing of a tyre fire can only be achieved by the use of copious amounts of water once the Fire-Brigade arrive on scene.

The whole idea of the driver initially controlling the fire in this way is to try to prevent the fire from reaching the truck’s bodywork, be it a tanker or whatever else. There is a very clear instruction to drivers not to tackle a fire involving the load AND to only take action if without personal risk. Initially, the driver is the only person who is qualified to make that decision in the early part of an incident.

Since we know from the report that the tanker was carrying Diesel, there wouldn’t be any significant danger until the Diesel itself reached a temperature of (usually) something in excess of 65 deg C, because below that temperature, Diesel doesn’t give off enough vapour and therefore it isn’t ignitable due to the fuel/air mixture being too weak. Hence the idea of the driver attempting to prevent the flames from the tyre fire from reaching the tank itself. :wink:

:open_mouth: I’ve never heard of an instruction to drop the trailer, if indeed that’s what happened. :grimacing:

Arfa:

Discopete:

Looks very much like it. Cant think were it would have come from.

Greenham Common?