Tacho centre fields

Since passing my class 2 back in july this year, I have worked for two companies, the second being agency work, and both have told me different ways of filling the centre fields out.

The first said to fill out Surname and initial for the driver name, the second has said surname and christian name.

Since this time I have been told that the police believe it is again surname and initial.

I could do with getting it right as I really do not fancy an astronomicle fine from the ministry. Any help will be gratefully recieved.

Surname, Christian name. Initial is insufficient.

The legal requirement is surname then christian name. If you have a name which does not fit legably onto the centre field use the intial for christian name & then write full surname & christian name on reverse of chart.

Hi Mat.

These guys are right.

Nicknames and initials are not legal. Anyone tells you different ask them to show it you in black and white. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Have A look in the faq section. There’s an article from kranky all about hours and tacho’s.

Cheers Ken.

Actually I’ve been considering this, and i think the only requirement is for the full name to be shown, regardless of which order. So in that case, christian name, surname or surname, christian name would both be fine. Not totally sure to be honest!

Sorry Micheal.

But the regs clearly state Christian Name Followed by forename. Nicknames or initials are not legal.

Cheers Kenv.

I read recently that any order was OK, as long as you had your Christian name and Surname in full, no initials. I have not been able to get that confirmed officialy though. So, to be certain of not being wrong, I still put in Surname first, followed by Christian name (in full).
There is no point taking a risk on something so petty, which could still cost you your licence, which you have just invested so much into getting.
Better safe than sorry.

the way i was taught to do it was surname followed by christian name.intials will be a tchograph infringment but you are allowed to shorten your name if it will not fit in the box and put the full name on the back of your card.

i.e

whiting.jonathanok
whiting.jon(full name on the back of card)ok

whiting.jinfringment

hope that helps

jon

For the last twenty odd years I have put my christian name first [above] and my surname second [on the line].

I have never had an infringement notice and had a ministry check at the begining of this year all ok.

So it would seem that as long as your full name is on the chart it is ok.

cheers
STEVE

Article 15 E.C 3821/85.
5. Each crew member shall enter the following infomation on his record sheet.
(a) on beginning to use his sheet- his surname & first name.
The law being black & white this means first name & surname is not in accordance with the law.

Well done Alan that is the definitive answer that should finish any argument.

My last post should of course have read surname followed by forename Duh. :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

taken from vdo hours law guide web site:

Drivers must enter
Surname
Firstname
Date of chart start
Place of chart start
Date of chart end
Place of chart end
Vehicle Registration
Start Odometer
End Odometer

hope it helps