First name or last?

I was told a long time ago hen i first drove trucks that you MUSTby law put your surname first then your christian name, can anyone tell me legally if this is fact or fiction?.

The reason i ask is that now i have a desk pushing job the tm says that is boving excretia, but i support my comments and say it must be surname first, BUT not neccasseraly (SP?) christian name as an initial will do.

You must put your FULL name!!

You may put your name in any order!

If and only IF you do not have enough room for your full name you must put surname and initial of christian name then complete christian name on reverse of tacho!

sorry looks like you are eating humble pie! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :smiley:

ok this may help the Department For Transport Tacho pages

As the law is literal & states Surname & first name & not just name or first & surname etc, it has been interpreted in court as meaning surname first.
Those who say “it does not say…” are missing what it does say & the way that is used in court.
All mid chart offences count as one & is only a minor infringement, but still an infringement.
The fact is the VI loves something like this as they can be very superior & lecture you with out having to work hard & find something less odvious.

This topic was discussed recently on the Newbies Forum and you can find the thread here

Alan was wrong on that thread as well. :wink: :slight_smile: It is just an ‘Urban Myth’ among drivers who like to complain that ‘THEY’ will nick you for any little thing. No one has been prosecuted for this as the offence doesn’t exist. (Wonder how long before someone posts a ‘MY Mate Got Nicked For It’ reply.) :wink: :smiley:

As you can see on the thread in the Newbie Forum several people have posted that they have never had a problem or even had it mentioned by an examiner even though they have first name first and surname second, I’ve also never had it mentioned to me during any check.

The regulations say you must put your full name, surname and first name. If it had to be written in that order it would say surname then first name but it doesn’t.

The only requirement is that you put your full name, no nicknames or initials. If you don’t have enough room for your full name, because you have a long name, it is acceptable to put your initial in the name space as long as you put your full name on the back of the card.

My Tacho always looks Good when it comes to Name :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Driver David :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Only once been asked why I had’nt put my surname on though at Harlow :laughing: :laughing:

I once got stopped for can you adam and eve it an upside down number plate on my trailer, my fault :blush: , as usual in a hurry. P C never done anything wrong :smiling_imp: in his life gave me a bolloking for putting my first name before my second name, needless to say my card is now always filled in surname then christian name. :smiley:

RMower:
I once got stopped for can you adam and eve it an upside down number plate on my trailer, my fault :blush: , as usual in a hurry. P C never done anything wrong :smiling_imp: in his life gave me a bolloking for putting my first name before my second name, needless to say my card is now always filled in surname then christian name. :smiley:

How can you NOT NOTICE you’ve put your regn plate in upside down :question: :question: So much for pro drivers eh. Did you put your tacho in the right way round :question: :question:

:bulb: