T@D what do you think of iveco`s

reading this months copy of T@D, we (trucknet) get a mention on page 56 of what drivers opinions of pre-stralis iveco`s are,so not to disapoint newbies to the site i though i would start a tread on the issue :slight_smile:

my own opinion is that they are basicly good if looked after but suffer niggling electrical faults and cab rot,the cabs are big,comtable seats,driving position is good, the gears are ok and they pull well.
the later models are still a good bet for a new o/d
i had looked at the prices a few months ago on a curser eurostar myself :slight_smile:
jon

I’m a HUGE Iveco fan! :blush: :blush: :blush:

I’ve just waved goodbye to my latest Eurotech last Tuesday…it was a brilliant truck…pulled like a train, if you allowed it to lug down low (430 Cursor)…semi-auto gearbox great once you get used to it (although I admit I missed the clutch when manouevering)…ZF16 manual version fitted nicely with the older high-rev-ing engine…(shame the twin-split version never quite gelled, would have been great with the low-revving Cursor)…

…Comfy driving position, blindspot not too bad, seat easily adjusted…exhaust brake surprisingly effective if you used it right (I liked the setting which brought it in whenever you took your foot off the throttle best, spot on for holding you on long downhills without over-heating the brakes)…

…Sensibly-sized living space with good storage for the age of the cab-design…dash doesn’t fall to bits if you take care of it and push the blanks back in before they fall all the way out/don’t keep opening the fuse-box (:w:)…

…Decent turning circle…traction not bad on the mid-lift version…good all-round vision…nice firm suspension…

…Can I have my truck back, please? :cry: :cry: :cry: …Or failing that the old twin-split Turbostar I first did containers in, never had a truck pull better since (although the 14 litre engine at just 38 tonnes might have had something to do with it… :blush: )

To be fair, the reason it is off the road is because although it’s lease isn’t up until Oct 6th, the R+M ran out on August 31st…and our fitter-gaffer won’t run Ivecos without it… and it did snap a driveshaft the first week I had it (deffo not driver error - impossible in a semi-auto) :blush: :blush: :blush:

But from a driver’s point of view they’re great - and from my ex-gaffer and friend, Martin’s. He ran the same 5 L- and P-regs for years with very lttle hassle…sadly he died before they did…maybe my love of the Eurotech is just one of his many legacies, eh? :wink:

That said, I have a Stralis on hire for a few weeks until I get my next permenant wagon (long story)…and I AM 100% IN LOVE!!!
But that’s another story… :sunglasses:

LucyR:
I’m a HUGE Iveco fan…!

Whereas, I think they’re absolutely diabolical! Never liked them, Stralis’ are cack too!

don’t like iveco one little bit,especially that annoying indicator noise,sorry thumbs down :frowning: :frowning:

I’ve never driven one so can’t comment. Must say though driving one doesn’t feature on my “Things I Want To Do Before I Die” list. :wink: :smiley:

When I went back to this firm, I had a choice… my old Iveco 430 Eurostar or a DAF Super Space Cab 430 of a similar age… I took the Iveco :o)

I drove a Stralis for a while and if I have to have a truck with an automatic box, that would be the one for me!

Probably the best iveco was the old Turbostar, apart from the red curtains and seats. Oh and the fuel economy :blush: and the rotting cab!

Good strong engine with a sensible gearbox though and half the price of other trucks at the time.

In my opinion the Eurotech was a failure as the Ford influence had tried to take over and it was cheap and plastic.

LucyR:

I’ve just waved goodbye to my latest Eurotech last Tuesday…it was a brilliant truck…pulled like a train, if you allowed it to lug down low (430 Cursor)…semi-auto gearbox great once you get used to it (although I admit I missed the clutch when manouevering)…ZF16 manual version fitted nicely with the older high-rev-ing engine…(shame the twin-split version never quite gelled, would have been great with the low-revving Cursor)…

…Comfy driving position, blindspot not too bad, seat easily adjusted…exhaust brake surprisingly effective if you used it right (I liked the setting which brought it in whenever you took your foot off the throttle best, spot on for holding you on long downhills without over-heating the brakes)…

…Sensibly-sized living space with good storage for the age of the cab-design…dash doesn’t fall to bits if you take care of it and push the blanks back in before they fall all the way out/don’t keep opening the fuse-box (:w:)…

…Decent turning circle…traction not bad on the mid-lift version…good all-round vision…nice firm suspension…

…Can I have my truck back, please? :cry: :cry: :cry: …Or failing that the old twin-split Turbostar I first did containers in, never had a truck pull better since (although the 14 litre engine at just 38 tonnes might have had something to do with it… :blush: )

To be fair, the reason it is off the road is because although it’s lease isn’t up until Oct 6th, the R+M ran out on August 31st…and our fitter-gaffer won’t run Ivecos without it… and it did snap a driveshaft the first week I had it (deffo not driver error - impossible in a semi-auto) :blush: :blush: :blush:

But from a driver’s point of view they’re great - and from my ex-gaffer and friend, Martin’s. He ran the same 5 L- and P-regs for years with very lttle hassle…sadly he died before they did…maybe my love of the Eurotech is just one of his many legacies, eh? :wink:

That said, I have a Stralis on hire for a few weeks until I get my next permenant wagon (long story)…and I AM 100% IN LOVE!!!
But that’s another story… :sunglasses:

Were you going down the M1 about 6-7am Friday morning :question:

I don’t like them personally but don’t have a problem with people who do. I can’t do with wagons that make a blower noise when you first set off when they’re still a bit cold and also the same ‘blower’ often comes up when pulling up a fairly steep hill. There’s no need and the Renault Premium does exactly the same thing.

The manual 16 speed box is very notchy and the splits are slow engaging. Very unrefined and not nice to drive on local work at all. The steering wheel being 139ft in diameter and the steering lock to lock being 361 full turns have got to be the worse things about them though.

We’ll leave the rot and electrics for another sesh… :grimacing:

Were you going down the M1 about 6-7am Friday morning

‘Fraid not…I was heading down the A66 from Penrith Truckstop (which has bunker fuel accepting all the main cards again, for those of you who didn’t know - I didn’t!)…plus being in a hire lorry I’m incognito in factory white at the mo’… :wink: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Baby Penfold’s still in the screen though, if you’re keen-eyed… :sunglasses:

I like em, the ride in the Eurostar is a lot nicer than this Volvo. Theres loads more space inside, and the seat was comfier (for me) id like another one! BUT, give me a Seddan Atkinson with a ■■■■■■■ and the alto cab anyday! :laughing:

Not my personal choice :slight_smile:

I am a HUGE Ford fan… BUT… I dislike all Iveco’s purely on looks alone… I don’t know what they’re like to drive, but the dash looks the same as an old D reg Cargo I know of… :confused:

Saying that tho, I might have said that about ERF’s before I was given one, an now I love em… well, mine atleast… :blush:

Luv
Chrisie… :sunglasses:

Coffeeholic:
I’ve never driven one so can’t comment. Must say though driving one doesn’t feature on my “Things I Want To Do Before I Die” list. :wink: :smiley:

go on neil,you know you want to :laughing: :laughing:
jon

I think the Turbo Daily is the best van around by a long way, as long as you treat it nicely.

Mal:
I like em, the ride in the Eurostar is a lot nicer than this Volvo. Theres loads more space inside, and the seat was comfier (for me) id like another one! BUT, give me a Seddan Atkinson with a ■■■■■■■ and the alto cab anyday! :laughing:

dont know about the last bit,but your right mal the seats are spot on,much better than volvo`s,the alto cab is that big you need a map to find your way round(or maybe gps) :laughing: :laughing:
jon

LucyR:

me too ,noting to be embarassed about
lets start a fan club or iveconet :wink:
weve got lucy,mal,the bear,me and i think coffeeholics nearly there :smiley: :wink:
jon

jon boy 100:

Mal:

dont know about the last bit,but your right mal the seats are spot on,much better than volvo`s,the alto cab is that big you need a map to find your way round(or maybe gps) :laughing: :laughing:
jon

That alto cab is the dogs aint it, I used to have to stand on the engine hump to get into lockers, in this globe I can reach the one over the wheel from the seat!! There aint a bigger cab to my knowledge. Well JB, the last bit would be regarding the atki I reckon, Imagine an alto but with an engine that just dont give up! :slight_smile:

if theres a fan club going ,heres one that will join i love my iveco to bits .having said that shes let me down this week.overheating problems.even iveco are stumped,changed water pump& compressor still having problems.

Mal:
Well JB, the last bit would be regarding the atki I reckon, Imagine an alto but with an engine that just dont give up! :slight_smile:

neither does the big iveco
my old 420 left a 420 scanny loaded 720kg lighter trailing big style in its wake :laughing:
mine you it probberly used more fuel
hay,but i wasnt paying :laughing: jon ps ■■■■■■■ just dont sound right to me,not driven a wagon with one but not to cracking in coaches or buses