Iveco stralis hi way?

Just purchased one to go on livestock and fridge work , had a good deal on it and it seems a good truck any thoughts??

I liked driving the Stralis esp a 560 4x2. :smiley:

Never driven the new Hi-way yet but hear they still as yet haven’t sorted a bit more “feel” to the clutch when in reverse/hooking up etc??

A lot of people call iveco,most have never driven one,the last stralis i drove was a 58 plate 450 and it went like stink,ive seen alot of right ups in various truck magazines about the hiway and none have got a bad word for them,the spaniards and italians love um so they must be doing something right…dont know what dealer you use but the dealings ive had with northern comms at brighouse were not the best…

Has it got satans gearbox, and if so is it programmed any better than the last Stralis so ‘blessed’, i found the hill hold on previous model hilarious, it would release about a second or so before the board of deputies sent a memo to the computer requesting a gear and drive at a junction…that like all hill holds got switched off.

Do you still have to tilt the cab to add engine oil?

Please tell me those points have been fixed, apart from those, and constant spurious warnings on the dash, usually about failed bulbs that weren’t, it was OK.

460 doing close to 9mpg on container work, still tilt the cab to add oil, radio and media with sat nav are ok if works, it went stuck quite often so you can reset it by holding “eject CD” button for ten second. Drives good, gearbox not that bad as they says, however itp a shame that kompresor went off in the truck 3 months old. Could be a bit more quiet in the cab and still got problems with air coming into the cab around top corner seals at the doors. Fridge as a standard in the cab is a bonus, the bottom bunk is ok but better if you have part bottom bunk coz you got table too. Generally speaking in my opinion among the others would give 8/10.

Jesus they still haven’t sorted the wind noise round the door & window seals? Who tests the things? Send um round to me to test, I’ll steer you right. My drivers door or widow leaked in heavy rain & there’s always be an air whistle of some description from time to time.

I’ve heard air compressors ain’t iveco’s strong point.

I think they’ve improved it a fair old whack from the old model but still have some way to go.

I had a new 06 plate on lease for 3 years & like most new things it was great when it was new…

Engines are bullet proof though & I think I only had a couple of injectors go in them years. You could still drive home with an injector down so no biggy.

For the money along with MAN & Renault, you can’t really complain.

Still get them mysterious knocking noises under your feet?

Dealers are more interested in dicking about with vans. Iveco need to launch dedicated truck only maintenance sites to raise their game.

bought a 09 plate one brand new cab leaked water,engine rattled into life in the morn, diff ■■■■■■ oil out dealer could never fix it, wind noise in cab like doing a parachute jump on motorway, it lasted 18months on euro fridge work. best day in it was driving it to part ex it

I had a 11 plate brand new. Nice to drive, but really poor build quality. Used 1 litre of oil every 1000 miles and cab had to be tilted to refill, loads of electrical issues from continually blowing bulbs to complete loss of power, bits kept falling off inside the cab, lots of wind noise, etc. Needless to say I was very pleased to swap it after 2 years for the Actros I have now. I would certainly never get another Iveco.

whelmic:
I had a 11 plate brand new. Nice to drive, but really poor build quality. Used 1 litre of oil every 1000 miles and cab had to be tilted to refill, loads of electrical issues from continually blowing bulbs to complete loss of power, bits kept falling off inside the cab, lots of wind noise, etc. Needless to say I was very pleased to swap it after 2 years for the Actros I have now. I would certainly never get another Iveco.

Thems thirty grand cheaper than a Merc though which buys a lot of patience.

Silver_Surfer:

whelmic:

The second hand values are very poor though, so if you look at the total cost of ownership there is not a huge difference

I am out in a demo on Monday for the week, Hi-Way 480 eco, picked it up Friday, looking forward to my week in it.

Well it’s now on the road and I must say we are very impressed with it!!

Good to hear something other than negative comments , we have 2 hi way 500 s and the
Drivers are more than happy with them .

Got to drive my first one a few weeks back and I was quite impressed.

whelmic:

A litre every 1000miles? They should’ve threw a set of pistons and liners in that as the rings did not seat properly.

Did you report this excessive oil consumption to the dealer?

whelmic:

Silver_Surfer:

whelmic:

The second hand values are very poor though, so if you look at the total cost of ownership there is not a huge difference

Good point.

I’ve not driven one yet but do they still have the glacial gear change speed that the previous generation ones have? And is it still all or nothing on the accelerator pedal when trying to reverse under a trailer smoothly so you don’t shear the pin off when it suddenly launches?

Had a week in the Demo 480, very impressed, average fuel consumption for the week 10mpg, we run at 44t from
Swindon to Roche Cornwall then return empty to Swindon, add blue was usage was a bit high at 60ltrs for the week.

Only bad point were the curtains, they don’t quite fit properly, and as much as I liked the big center fridge I think
I would rather have the normal fridge and get the bottom bunk that converts to a table, missed eating my diner
on a table, my magnum has the office pack, didn’t appreciate eating on the bed.

The multi media console was great, when you work it all out, built in satnav ect.

Overall a good truck, would get one if the decision was mine, very nice to drive.

Left hand down!:
I’ve not driven one yet but do they still have the glacial gear change speed that the previous generation ones have? And is it still all or nothing on the accelerator pedal when trying to reverse under a trailer smoothly so you don’t shear the pin off when it suddenly launches?

Standard performance for all AStronic boxes i’ve driven, whether DAF MAN or Fiat, no more use than a chocolate teapot in traffic, all have the on/off switch clutch to a certain extent, all of them way out of their depth for serious tight manoeuvering…apart from that once they’re in top gear on the motorway and you lock 'em in manual to stop 'em changing down if the lorry sees a hill on the horizon, they’re great… :unamused:

Quite how some of the things fitted to modern lorries ever got past type approval i shall never know.

Juddian:

Left hand down!:

Standard performance for all AStronic boxes i’ve driven, whether DAF MAN or Fiat, no more use than a chocolate teapot in traffic, all have the on/off switch clutch to a certain extent, all of them way out of their depth for serious tight manoeuvering…apart from that once they’re in top gear on the motorway and you lock 'em in manual to stop 'em changing down if the lorry sees a hill on the horizon, they’re great… :unamused:

Quite how some of the things fitted to modern lorries ever got past type approval i shall never know.

just press the gear selector switch for 2 seconds and it goes into slow mode then dead easy to control backing under trailers ect,
the problem is the gearbox learns the driving style of the driver, and as everyone is different this can cause problems. The way round it is to keep it in manual for a day and drive it how you want it. then the next day it will be sorted :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: