Praise for the Srallis

Just got a 58 plate 450 strallis last night & as I seem to hear all negative thoughts on Ivecosthought I might give it a bit praise :slight_smile: Last fortnight been driving mega Merc & most of the fleet is Mercs with a few Mans & some older Ivecos (06s) also drove Fm I shift for 3yrs. Ive said on other posts I thought the Iveco auto was good but last night thought it was excelent coupled with the 450 pulled realy well with 26plts of drink onboard. They seem to have changed the way it changes down when climbing drop a couple of ks below 90 & it drops down to 11th & keeps you rolling on the older models I used to have to do this manualy also seems to pick the right gear when needed which is more than could be said about some of the other autos. I know some will come on here & critticise this & that about Iveco but all Im posting about is its driveability .Its only a hire moter but I hope I`ve got it for a while yet :laughing:
(WAITING FOR THE FLACK)

I am the first to moan about Iveco’s but I do like the auto box on them. My issue is with the reliability and the build quality.

The newest Stralis I have driven is a 56 plate 480. If running light, I usually just let the gearbox sort itself out. When running heavy, I usually find the box is a bit behind both with up and down changes so I stick it into Semi-Auto and then time the gears as if you would with a manual box. I find it makes better progress, especially on steep climbs.

Praise for the Stralis

Bit of a contradiction in terms,isn’t it?

Ken.

The new Stralis is the best looking truck on the road, IMHO, also got one of the best living spaces out of the lot, and its well thought out.

My ONLY (and I do mean only) problem with it, is the quality, and colour, of the plastics used on the dash.

Stralis touches me in my happy place.

Alex

Iveco improve build quality, improve reliability, and make the dash/switches look decent, add a bigger cab, and it’d be one of the best motors out there.

They may be getting there with the newer ones but any a couple of years old or more are pants. Driveability and cab layout was never their problem, it’s breakdowns, electrical faults/computer fits and build quality that let the marque down. I know they are the cheapest truck out there but they would be better served raising their prices and improving the build quality and reliability now that they seem to be gaining market share. Anything “New” is going to drive nice but give it a couple of years and see how it fares then. Also the dealer in Birmingham, Guests trucks isn’t open 24 hrs which is a bit of a poor show if you ask me.

Praise for the Stralis? WHY! :open_mouth:

MR VAIN:

Because Scania have had way too much in the past, and the new ones plain don’t deserve it?

allikat:

MR VAIN:

Because Scania have had way too much in the past, and the new ones plain don’t deserve it?

OK, so i agree the new ones ain’t so great. But i weren’t comparing to Scania. There are many trucks i would choose before the stralis, and one that i wouldn’t have ever! But aren’t i right in thinking yr an ex iveco pilot? Rigid?white? big parrot?

i had one on an 04 plate and i really enjoyed driving it, got an 2000 plated scania topline at the moment and would go back to the strallis in a shoot, in fact been asking the boss to get me one when he changes this one in the next 3 months, the only problem i had was the filter head went down one day apart from that even the computer behaved itself and it was great to live in, i use to be away for 3 weeks at a time all over europe coped really well and it was only a 430 so dont knock them too much :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

i cant wait to get my hands on the new 500 stralis’ we are getting mine is gonna be one of the first to go back,

MR VAIN:

allikat:

MR VAIN:

OK, so i agree the new ones ain’t so great. But i weren’t comparing to Scania. There are many trucks i would choose before the stralis, and one that i wouldn’t have ever! But aren’t i right in thinking yr an ex iveco pilot? Rigid?white? big parrot?

Umm… yep… w ■■■ SCL, 18t iveco 180e34, 8 speed slapover…
Tiny cab, badly laid out… but the new stralis looks a LOT better (which isn’t hard :laughing: ) A bit of work on the interior design, a bit more money spent on making them, and they’ll be great motors.
Iveco - nearly there, but not quite.

Totaly agree with you mister VAIN as an O/D I dont think an Iveco would be my first choice either, but all Ive said is its a good drive comparing it to other autos & this 450 goes well. Im a volvo fan meself but after 9yrs at Gallacher Bros also had plenty to do with Scanias 142 /143s 450 & 500 113 & the 4 series some of them went well but was never their biggest fan.
My day driver not to keen because its not a posers moter (bit younger than me)
but after a couple of days on it now he`s coming round :laughing:
(hope your back on the road without to much hassle)

allikat:

MR VAIN:

allikat:

MR VAIN:

Umm… yep… w ■■■ SCL, 18t iveco 180e34, 8 speed slapover…
Tiny cab, badly laid out… but the new stralis looks a LOT better (which isn’t hard :laughing: ) A bit of work on the interior design, a bit more money spent on making them, and they’ll be great motors.
Iveco - nearly there, but not quite.

Maybe i have crossed wires, i thought that motor was newer than that? Motor was running out of Norwich?

I know my old boss bought a couple to see what they were like cos there cheap… there on tipper work and falling to bits

How about this for a niggling Stralis fault - and I bet other Stralis drivers will have had this. (I’ve had it on about 15 different trucks)

You switch on the heated mirrors but the switch jams when you press it down and then you get a big warning light on the dashboard that says “DDM”. It is actually the drivers door module. Now, if you are driving, the only way to extinguish the light is to hope you have enough finger nail left to prise up the edge of the switch.

Not a major fault, just bloody annoying!

killsville:
How about this for a niggling Stralis fault - and I bet other Stralis drivers will have had this. (I’ve had it on about 15 different trucks)

You switch on the heated mirrors but the switch jams when you press it down and then you get a big warning light on the dashboard that says “DDM”. It is actually the drivers door module. Now, if you are driving, the only way to extinguish the light is to hope you have enough finger nail left to prise up the edge of the switch.

Not a major fault, just bloody annoying!

just tap lightly on the switch with your finger and the light goes out, but you’re right its annoying and i’ve had it on all the stralis i’ve had.

Me too!!!

Also had the windscreen wipers decide to stop working as I was on the motorway in pouring rain on the limiter, CHEERS!

Dont know what it is but not many flashed me in this week when Ive past them :laughing: :laughing: (inverted snobbery perhaps)

You still doing agency work killsville :question: (thev`e put one of these units in Worksop)

Theres only one main problem I have with the Stralis ('57 AS 450 E5) I drive and that is if you are running heavy and coming down a steep(ish) hill it will kickdown a cog.

Like everyone else has said, you would think that a truck made by the guys that produce ferarris would get the interior a bit better. Apart from that is definately one of the best trucks on the road today, and when the engine loosens up it will leave most others standing in its wake.