Iveco Eurostar Trucks - What u think?

Hey up lads, i just wondered what your thoughts on these Iveco Eurostar vehicles are ? we have 3 new 58 reg and i think there awful to drive on multidrop work. For a start theres not even a cupholder anywhere, not even for when your parked up lol…also the gear change is abysmal, especially 1st to 2nd its like an arm wrestle and the other gears aren’t much better, the steering is heavy and to cap it off i had to wait 2 hours for Iveco to come out and top the oil up as its a tilt cab job :blush: They feel so cheap id prefer to keep our 53 reg Scanias which feel like a Rolls Royce.

Eurostars were brilliant trucks mate but they stopped making them many years ago, they were replaced by the Stralis

bugcos:
Eurostars were brilliant trucks mate but they stopped making them many years ago, they were replaced by the Stralis

ope we have an 05 reg Stralis semi auto which is miles better - these are deffo Eurostar and euro5 compliant but ■■■■ :unamused:

being a honest person, as long as my wages are being
payed and are what i and the employer worked out,I will
drive any thing ,by the way Pizzablech is okay (blech–
bakeingtray),driven worse ,

these are deffo Eurostar and euro5 compliant

Eurocargo?

suppose you get what you pay for i’ve never drove 1 but am volvo through and through myself

The Eurostar was the model before the Stralis, so I’m assuming that you mean the Eurocargo. I’m also assuming your boss doesnt rate fuel economy very highly if he’s gone for the manual version. The auto is a lot better, but dont forget these are 58 plates so until the gearbox gets some mileage on it it’s going to be as stiff as hell.

Also I would love to know what you was doing calling out Iveco to put some oil in it? Are you too good to be tilting the cab and doing it yourself?

I always thought that Oil levels and checking for leaks was the drivers job on pre start checks. Well to check the oil on the Iveco, no matter which version, you have to tilt the cab.

I’ve driven Iveco’s for 3 years so I’m affraid to tell you it hasnt changed. It’s still the Cursor 11 engine.

As Bugcos has stated, they stopped making the EuroStar in 2003 and replaced it with the Stralis, they do however make a EuroCargo Rigid with a manual gearbox, this is probably what you mean :confused:

the two stralis we have both have non working electrics for tilting the cab. now need to run two wires from the battery to a connection under the passenger wheelarch to tilt which the dealer showed us how to. if you didn’t know this you couldn’t tilt to do the oil.

Drve a EUROTECH 340 ,with Eaton t/s then promoted to a 380(I can hear you laughing from here)- cab rot and electrical problems aside :confused: - good ole motors :laughing:

Yeah lol i mean eurocargo, we are not allowed to tilt any cab or do anything at all on the trucks except top up water. Even on our Scanias if it needs oil we have to call at a dealers if betwen services. The reason we had to call breakdown was because the red stop light came on for low oil mid shift so to speak. They have around 26000km on them now so i thought g/box would loosen up in 6months by now, anyway thank god there going back in 2week in exchange for 2 Man and a Merc Axor rigid.

God help you if you get the Axor :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

you’ll wish you had the EuroCargo back :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Also I would love to know what you was doing calling out Iveco to put some oil in it? Are you too good to be tilting the cab and doing it yourself?

Apparently, Iveco’s thinking is that their trucks are so reliable you won’t need to top up the oil between services. Hence the fact they haven’t bothered making the tank accessible. A fleet I worked for ran a couple of Eurostars and a handul of Eurotechs and it put me off Iveco for life. Do you still have to speak to an Italian when they break down? “Whatta’s hisa postacode?” “Don’t know, he’s in a layby in the middle of nowhere” “I needa a postacode” :unamused:

its italian what do you expect :laughing:

shuttlespanker:
God help you if you get the Axor :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

you’ll wish you had the EuroCargo back :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hi mate why do u say that, we have an 06 reg Axor rigid and i love it, ive asked if i can have it all the time so i dont get lumbered with an Iveco, which i did today again grrrrr :wink: the 2 things about the Axor i dislike are the clutch pedal is slightly heavy and its a tad underpowered at 230bhp but overall i love it. PS 1 of the Iveco as gone and replaced with an 08 Man 240bhp auto.

I’m surprised its a manual box’, I thought Ivecos came with automated transmission as standard and you had to pay EXTRA for a manual gearchange?

I can’t see what possible reason you’d go for a manual if its gonna cost you more? :confused:

I had a 02 plate IVECO and it was brill let me down twice in 12 months batteries and indicator bulb holder (the one on the mudgaurd)
then had a BRAND NEW AXOR broke down more in six weeks than anything else I have ever driven AD blue problems seat problems etc etc
went to VOLVO great truck then Renault Premium another good truck the last truck was a Iveco active space very nice but give me a Volvo anytime !!!

hammer:
I’m surprised its a manual box’, I thought Ivecos came with automated transmission as standard and you had to pay EXTRA for a manual gearchange?

I can’t see what possible reason you’d go for a manual if its gonna cost you more? :confused:

I think that if they’re lease trucks, lease companies tend to prefer manuals as they’re more reliable and they won’t end up footing the bill for a new auto gearbox when it inevitably implodes, along with the hassle for call outs for gearbox operational gremlins from time to time. They’re not worried about fuel economy.

We had a couple of Stralis’s and Eurocargos until fairly recently. Other drivers quite liked the Stralis’s (or would it be Strali ?) but they had so many electrical and gearbox problems along with guzzling adblue that our company got shot of them and got two aged DAF’s.

I drove the Eurocargo 18 250 manuals on multidrop. To be honest, they seemed fairly quick. The steering was fairly heavy but I didn’t realise quite how heavy it was until I drive my current lorry. My main gripes were crap cab layout design - no cup holders and wasted space everywhere. The controls on the centre console fell off if you happened to let your jacket brush against them! Also, poor driving position. I had to drive with a pillow on the back of the seat to avoid chronic back pain. Our Eurocargos were replaced recently for MAN TGM 240’s. I was very glad to get rid of the AdBlue. It took a good couple of weeks to get fully accustomed to the auto gearbox (lots of town driving and stupidly tight maneuovres) and it still throws in the odd stupid gearchange from time to time (hence my signature!) but apart from that, the upgrade from the Eurocargo to the MAN was like going from a Fiesta to a 5-series. Much more comfortable, with air-sprung cab. Steering’s light but effective. Oh, but the turning circle’s crap and you can’t see the speed, revs or computer display on the dash as it’s hidden behind the steering wheel.

This week, I’ve found even more appreciation for the MAN as I’m driving an Axor while the other’s having an MOT/service. What are Mercedes playing at? Although I must admit I had a bit of fun in it today driving back unladen, with just a few tonnes on the back you’ll have to change down a cog when you meet a hill on a motorway and thrash the hell out of the engine just to maintain speed. If you’re going to give me an underpowered vehicle, at least give me eight gears with it, not six! What a heap! Again, rubbish seat giving me a bad back. Upside is, it has a good turning circle.
:confused:

my only question is why are you trying to start off in 1st gear? I thought all trucks now a days started in 2nd unless really heavy and need 1st?

welshboyinspain:
my only question is why are you trying to start off in 1st gear? I thought all trucks now a days started in 2nd unless really heavy and need 1st?

1. because its 6 speed only
  2. its so underpowered
  3. it says on the sticker always use 1st gear

after saturday i dont care tuppence because ive been given my own truck from tuesday and i’ll have an 08 reg man tgm auto which i drove today and its miles ahead of anything we have now. :stuck_out_tongue: