Stobarts

got an interview with stobarts this fri for a tramping job, can anyone tell me what it’s like working for stobarts? Cheers :wink:

Hope you don’t like seeing home and don’t mind starting at midnight to 4am on your first day. Also theres a raft of paperwork and you’ll even be shown “The Stobart Way” to do up curtain straps.

When you do your induction, you’ll be told that they work trampers up to the maximum legal hours possible and they do. In my induction when I explained what that meant to some of the newly qualified C+E drivers, I got the impression that working up to 84hrs a week wasn’t quite what they had in mind when they were taking their lessons. (And yes thanks to PoA, you can still legally do 84hrs duty)

As a night shunter, I used to see the poor sods coming and going at all times of the night and these were day guys.

But in the current climate I’d say a jobs a job and there’s worse places to work.

Oh yeah…forgot. They’ll also stab you in the back and take customers versions of events over your own and won’t even ask for your side of the story most of the time so watch your back and keep your nose clean for the first 12 months.

Conor:
Hope you don’t like seeing home and don’t mind starting at midnight to 4am on your first day. Also theres a raft of paperwork and you’ll even be shown “The Stobart Way” to do up curtain straps.

When you do your induction, you’ll be told that they work trampers up to the maximum legal hours possible and they do. In my induction when I explained what that meant to some of the newly qualified C+E drivers, I got the impression that working up to 84hrs a week wasn’t quite what they had in mind when they were taking their lessons. (And yes thanks to PoA, you can still legally do 84hrs duty)

As a night shunter, I used to see the poor sods coming and going at all times of the night and these were day guys.

But in the current climate I’d say a jobs a job and there’s worse places to work.

Oh yeah…forgot. They’ll also stab you in the back and take customers versions of events over your own and won’t even ask for your side of the story most of the time so watch your back and keep your nose clean for the first 1o2 months.

nice to see a man who seen the other side to eddies big green machine cheers bud

thought legally you can only do 3x 15 and 2 x13 which makes 71 hours

I do belive we are still allowed to work

6 Days not 5

cheers for the info. from what I’ve heard your paid per hour so at least the money will reflect the hours worked. better than being on a salary, same wedge no matter what.

when you go home for the weekend take everything out your truck because there will be 3 or 4 other drivers using it while your off :smiling_imp: :wink:

FAO Merrymaid, in response to your comment about “stobarts big green machine”. I’m not going to work for them with green tinted stobarts glasses on wearing my eddie spotter t-shirt, I’m trying to get the best wage I can to put clothes on my childrens back and food on the table. I understand stobarts is not the be all and end all, there is crap in every job, it’s just how much your willing to take.

Exactly. A jobs a job at the moment. If it pays the bills, who gives a stuff who it is for? You don’t need to stay there forever. Like I said though, keep your nose clean and expect to have to eat a bit of humble pie. Don’t get annoyed with the customers but just climb back in the cab and phone up customer support. They get paid to take the crap and tell the deliveries what’s what. Take your time, don’t rush around and do the speed limits. In short, drive to the letter and you’ll be OK.

Kneal:
FAO Merrymaid, in response to your comment about “stobarts big green machine”. I’m not going to work for them with green tinted stobarts glasses on wearing my eddie spotter t-shirt, I’m trying to get the best wage I can to put clothes on my childrens back and food on the table. I understand stobarts is not the be all and end all, there is crap in every job, it’s just how much your willing to take.

strange you should mention working for stobarts as a was today driving one of the older 03 volvos lol but hey if you dont mind putting in the hours n getting a wedge u knock yourself out stobarts recruit constantly have white van men and a army acency in every day now ask yourself why …Is it that good a job … well from where am sitting no or jobs would be like hens teeth very thin on the ground there is a office in crick and every week u get the this weeks intake all to be shown how to basicly learn how stobards do it in a week they even has wee bit cutain on runners to let you practice on buckling up curtains now if eddie could recruit drivers with any savy this would deffo not be called for …

Merrymaid i appreciate your experience, but to me you came acrross a litte sarcastic. At the moment I, like many, work for an Irish company who pay poor wages, Ive been offered an Interview with Stobarts at warrington,I’m not saying I will take the job, but I’d be daft not to at least go for the interview. Yes, it can be a bit of a joke working for Stobarts, but all I’m concerned with is looking after my family. I have applied for jobs with lots of other companies, Currans, Virginia, Bowkers, H Parkys,Vos, Currie European and Stobarts. Vos and Stobarts got back to me, no-one else did…

if you have worked for a irish company you are probably used to the hours and not getting home, so get paid by the hour so you know what you are earning,
there is always someone who will slate any company whether it is good company or bad

i wouldn’t mind working for stobarts but i’ve worked as a chef 60 to 70 hour weeks and working in a kitchen is hell least they pay by the hour i use to work 70 hours a week for 13k a year but i’ve only got my class 2 and there all class 1 jobs at stobarts

just been myself this morning for assessment at warrington and passed al ok so just wait to see if i have a job lol

heard word that the stobart spotters will drop you in the ■■■■ for just about anything, from curtain tails hanging out to drinking a cupper whilst on the road and for all those that do smoking is a cardinal sin

DABenji:
heard word that the stobart spotters will drop you in the [zb] for just about anything, from curtain tails hanging out to drinking a cupper whilst on the road and for all those that do smoking is a cardinal sin

Just do nights no spotters about then :wink:

Kneal:
Merrymaid i appreciate your experience, but to me you came acrross a litte sarcastic. At the moment I, like many, work for an Irish company who pay poor wages, Ive been offered an Interview with Stobarts at warrington,I’m not saying I will take the job, but I’d be daft not to at least go for the interview. Yes, it can be a bit of a joke working for Stobarts, but all I’m concerned with is looking after my family. I have applied for jobs with lots of other companies, Currans, Virginia, Bowkers, H Parkys,Vos, Currie European and Stobarts. Vos and Stobarts got back to me, no-one else did…

The reason irish companies pay so badly now is because in the past british based drivers would work for a lower rate to get a V8. I’ve seen it happen. And now that Gordon has opened up our borders to all and sundry employers attitudes are why pay out big dough when eastern europe is full of drivers willing to work for a lot less than us. How the Gov. can say they are good for the economy is beyond me. They are keeping the wages artificially low so people have less to spend in the shops, surefire recipe for a recession. Good luck at Eddie’s.

kneal make sure you like the job at stobarts before you pick your uniform up because if you leave within the first 12 months they will bill you for 75% of it.
shtevee stobarts have a licence upgrade program from class 2 to class 1

cheers R-kid for the advice. I went down today for my assesment, it all seemed to go well, passes the tests to get an interview. the fella doing the interview was sound, answered all my questions, so fingers cross i’ll be getting a call and not a letter…quite nervous

i had to wait 5 days for the call saying i got the job i start monday at crick…hope it goes well for you kneal