Start for Stobarts - Questions

Hi everyone! :smiley:

Are there any lads on here who work for Stobarts?

I start in a couple of weeks, and I have a few specific questions, as well as some general questions for any of the lads in green. :smiley:

I know I might get some light-hearted abuse, but I really like what theyā€™ve offered me. The pay is much better than my old job, itā€™s for day (or night) shifts, so Iā€™ll be in my bed every night, and their depot is just ten minutes from home. I know theyā€™re on the receiving-end of some stick, but their offer suits me down to the ground, so canā€™t say fairer than that!

My questions are:

Do you get paid for the induction? Iā€™m booked onto the two-day induction at Appleton, and the TM said that the night in the hotel is free, and meals are thrown-in. (I prefer them on a tray, but there you go!). I know you get your uniform issued, but I was just wondering if you get paid for the two days?

What is the induction like? Is it just classroom-based? What time do you get finished?

Is it easy to get a transfer to other work within Stobarts? For example, is it easy to get a transfer from day work to tramping?

Iā€™m looking forward to starting, and if anyone has any advise in general, Iā€™ll be pleased to know! :grimacing:

Yes you are paid for the induction which goes towards your CPC.

They want Ā£240 per day back if you leave within six months

Steve-o:

Eh? You mean if If I leave within six months, I would owe them for the two-day induction, I.e Ā£480, or would I owe them Ā£240 for every day Iā€™ve been there? Please donā€™t tell me if I were there, letā€™s say 90 days, then Iā€™d owe them Ā£21,000 back? :open_mouth:

Rottweiler22:

Steve-o:

Eh? You mean if If I leave within six months, I would owe them for the two-day induction, I.e Ā£480, or would I owe them Ā£240 for every day Iā€™ve been there? Please donā€™t tell me if I were there, letā€™s say 90 days, then Iā€™d owe them Ā£21,000 back? :open_mouth:

Really :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Good luck at Stobarts youā€™ll fit right in :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Hmm, I thought that seemed a bit harsh! :blush:

Jokes aside, someone I was speaking to went to flight school, i.e to become a commercial pilot. He took one exam after three weeks, and couldnā€™t hack it, so he dropped-out. He owes the place Ā£27,000 in training fees, for three bloody weeks, because of some fine-print. Iā€™m a bit scared of that sort of thing. :open_mouth:

It will be Ā£480 they would take back off you if you left within 6 months. I donā€™t work for stobarts but they will have to pay you for your induction. You are there at work for them, because theyā€™ve told you to be there, itā€™s not voluntary, therefore you will get paid.

Ā£240 penalty for jacking in the first 6 months?
You have to be seriously desperate to work there
Or very dozy.

The induction is paid and usually held at Stobarts ā€œService Support Centreā€ in Appleton, if your not impressed by the place and its facilities Iā€™d be very surprised, a lot of hatred for ESL on here (some justified!) but the facilities they have there are first rate.

Induction is be there for 8am your usually on your way home by 5pm, free lunch (in house canteen) plenty of tea and coffee / ā– ā– ā–  breaks.

The two days count as two modules toward your CPC and yes, if you leave within 6 months they will want it back.

Tbh, the kit is clean the work isnā€™t hard but generally youā€™ll do the hours, been there 8+ years myself and left and went back after a spell of sickness (I was paid sick pay and they were good to me) yes your tracked but in the main if your not an idiot and show them you can crack on they (in my experience) leave you to get on with the job.

Itā€™s NOTHING like that bloody TV show, be sure of that!

Let us know how it goes, Iā€™ll be interested to see what you think of the training centreā€¦

eddiestobart.com/about/news/eddi ā€¦ ort-centre

Check out the pictures in the above link.

Wrong. The two days induction is paid (less breaks). The meals included on the induction is a drink and a sandwich.(Donā€™t know about evening meals at the hotel as I only live around the corner from Appleton).

The two days induction counts as 2 modules for your CPC. If you leave within 6 months, you are expected to repay Ā£105 per module.

You will get issued lots of uniform and PPE on the induction. If you leave within 6 months you must hand the uniform back and pay them Ā£100. So basically if you donā€™t last 6 months, you will have Ā£310 taken out of any accrued holiday pay/wages owed to you.

You will probably be told that holiday pay is based on your earnings. The truth is that holiday pay is based on your TAXABLE earnings. Being as you get Ā£15 per day NON TAXABLE (Ā£75 per week), this means that when you are on holiday you are down Ā£75 PER WEEK.

So you will lose out on Ā£375 per year. You will be expected to do Tesco store deliveryā€™s if asked after a 10 hour shift, and expect disciplinary action if you refuse. Basically you get bull ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  on your induction.

Rottweiler22:
Hmm, I thought that seemed a bit harsh! :blush:

Jokes aside, someone I was speaking to went to flight school, i.e to become a commercial pilot. He took one exam after three weeks, and couldnā€™t hack it, so he dropped-out. He owes the place Ā£27,000 in training fees, for three bloody weeks, because of some fine-print. Iā€™m a bit scared of that sort of thing. :open_mouth:

Flight training might be a tad bit more extensive than being a Stobbies steering wheel attendant, in 2002 I had to do 5 college courses for revalidation of the certs needed for my job over a 3 month period that would cost me about Ā£2500 plus hotels, food etc so budgeted to Ā£5000. At the end of it all I had spent nearly Ā£8000, most of the excess went on bar bills, and if any know the reputation of Union Street in Plymouth, ladies of dubious reputation ā€¦ :slight_smile:

my induction was nearly 4 years ago now at widnes,hire car provided to get there and back,overnight in hotel with free food/drink voucherā€¦2 days paid,days classed as cpc daysā€¦Ā£220 a day to pay if you leave within 6 months(it was still 220 last year when i went for another cpc day).full uniform providedā€¦if you leave you have to return uniform or you will be charged.

What do they do with the returned uniforms?

the maoster:

Why do you want a soiled shirt?[emoji6]

Rottweiler22:

Steve-o:

You dozys offspring?

the maoster:

Sell them to spotters at truck fest

Rottweiler22:

Steve-o:

Looks as though its the ideal Company for you and you will fit in very nicely. :unamused: :laughing:

Fair enough, I can stomach that! :grimacing:

I canā€™t say Iā€™m desperate to work there, but the money is good (much better than Iā€™m on now anyway), the depot is only 10 minutes from home, the trucks are generally quite new, and itā€™s straight day or night shifts. Itā€™s safe to say that day work isnā€™t easy to come by around where I live, there are plenty of companies, but they all want trampers, and dare I say it, pay less than Stobarts do. It suits my needs very nicely, thatā€™s all I can say.

Iā€™ll let you know how it goes :smiley: Iā€™m sure there will be a discerning Eddie Spotter who will buy my shirts off me, they may even pay more if I sign them, given that Iā€™ll be a legend in their eyes! :laughing:

m1cks:

the maoster:

When I was finished from them on ill health grounds they held back all money they owed me until I had returned the uniformā€¦
Said its for security because people go round pretending to work for stobart :smiley:

yorkshire terrier:

m1cks:

the maoster:

Said its for security because people go round pretending to work for stobart :smiley:

One question - Why would you do thatā– ā– ?

To wear in bed instead of the ESL onesie?