Stobart recruitment process

R420:

steelgoon:
Surely no one in their right mind is driving class 1 for £9 per hour on a day rate :open_mouth:

Outside of the London area, £9/hr for class 1 weekday day work on PAYE direct with the haulier is pretty much the norm. People on higher rates than that are typically on a flat rate and expected to do 15 hours and/or are on a rota system that includes working weekend days for the same rate, and/or required to start at 2 in the morning.

Or £13.50 an hour weekends worked at choice, overtime available, no hassle, and certainly no 15 hour days AND paid for breaks!

(Yes this is a real company)

R420:

steelgoon:
Surely no one in their right mind is driving class 1 for £9 per hour on a day rate :open_mouth:

Outside of the London area, £9/hr for class 1 weekday day work on PAYE direct with the haulier is pretty much the norm. People on higher rates than that are typically on a flat rate and expected to do 15 hours and/or are on a rota system that includes working weekend days for the same rate, and/or required to start at 2 in the morning.

No it isn’t the norm, people do it yes, sometimes because they live in remote areas where hopefully housing costs are in accord, sometimes because as a newby that’s all they can get for a while, sometimes because its easy and around the corner from their house and sometimes because they’re bloody useless and can’t hold a job down.

Maybe some here could look at their own attitudes via the things they post and wonder if there’s a reason they don’t find or get offered the better jobs, and if they do happen to land one don’t appreciate it once they’ve got it so it lasts forever :bulb:

People on higher rates are not expected to work all hours God sends, that’s not to say that if the job needs doing or everything goes mammaries up the drivers won’t bend over backwards to get the job done right up to max hours.

I live and work nowhere near the poxy capital city, you couldn’t pay me enough to live (exist) in the bloody dump, haven’t seen a wage as low as £9 an hour for near enough 30 years.
Yes i’m on salary, which includes some weekend and bank hol working because the job never stops, but here as on all proper jobs the rate is calculated to include pro rata extra rates for weekend and bank hols and also includes typically worked ‘dark money’ for early starts and late finishes, the night lads are further enhanced still, the base was calculated on a heck of lot more than the figure you mentioned as being the norm.

Juddian:
haven’t seen a wage as low as £9 an hour for near enough 30 years.

OK.

R420:

Juddian:

OK.

I’ve seen it plenty, but would I ■■■■ work for it

I passed my test in 2012 and I have never worked for anywhere near £9 per hour. Closest was £10.25 for my first job, but that was then time and a half after 8 hours.

Even their own agency must be paying more than that, is not like you are driving top spec trucks either !!

R420:

Juddian:

OK.

I’ve still got some pay slips showing around £1,500 gross for a month for 50 hours pw class 1 night trunking including London Weighting that was 1999. :open_mouth: :laughing:

For a job that I’m now told ( but don’t believe ) pays around 30k pa without London Weighting.

Well, they didn’t call me so that tells me someone else got the job. Here’s another proof of driver shortage if multiple drivers apply for £9 p.h. class 1 with no overtime lol, and the company offering the job can still be picky. I was making more per week on class 2 mon-fri AND per hour even accounting for their daily tax free £15 so no big loss, I guess.

For all that I looks bad as £9 an hour that take home pay for West Yorkshire ain’t that bad,I know a lad who takes home 550 ish for 60 to 65 hours and 4 nights out,
If my gaffer offered me that much in tax free meal allowance I’d take it like a shot and I wouldn’t care if it was a tax fiddle.
I worked for stobart in 2006-2008 and was taking home a lot more than my other mates were tramping due to the meal allowance.
I don’t like stobart one bit and they deserve all the flak they receive but pay was never an issue when I was there and overtime was always there when you wanted it,

Dont forget the £175 drop in wages if you decide to take some holiday…

yorkshire terrier:
when I was there and overtime was always there when you wanted it,

Oh believe me, it is there. In fact they require you to agree to doing overtime X number of days per month, they tell you during the interview. It’s just that…any overtime is still paid @£9 per hour and if you do the math the £15 daily when stretched over 15 hours is just a pound per hour which gives ES a huge incenvtive to max out your hours every day, every week. Theyr’e already paying you a £15 top up per day, might as well get their money’s worth. There’s only an increased hourly rate for sat/sun/nights/bank hols but not for OT

ETS:

yorkshire terrier:

Oh believe me, it is there. In fact they require you to agree to doing overtime X number of days per month, they tell you during the interview. It’s just that…any overtime is still paid @£9 per hour and if you do the math the £15 daily when stretched over 15 hours is just a pound per hour which gives ES a huge incenvtive to max out your hours every day, every week. Theyr’e already paying you a £15 top up per day, might as well get their money’s worth. There’s only an increased hourly rate for sat/sun/nights/bank hols but not for OT

When I was there it was night rate before 6am and after 6pm,and in December you got an extra £150 if you did 2 extra shifts in December…

The loader who works with me on my dustcart round is a huge fan of Stobrats (in the fanclub, got the uniform etc…) and whenever one passes us I always have to giggle and say to him "just remember, you are earning more ph than that poor sod just for putting a few bins on :smiley: "

I think it’s shocking that the pay is so poor, and even have to do a tax fiddle to make it seem like the pay is not so ■■■■. They make you max out constantly so when you look at the pay at the end of the week it doesn’t LOOK that bad because some folks don’t seek to register that they’ve worked nearly 2 weeks for one weeks pay. It’s terrible and Stobarts deserve all that they get

yorkshire terrier:

ETS:

yorkshire terrier:

When I was there it was night rate before 6am and after 6pm,and in December you got an extra £150 if you did 2 extra shifts in December…

It was when I was there.

Didn’t get as far as December though

What a joke. They expect you to put in the time and money (fuel) to get there, attend their assessment and interview totaling almost 2 hours yet they haven’t got a minute to spare to call you or send an email to let you know your application was not successful. :question: :question: :question: I can understand a lack of response if it’s an application only but no

ETS:
What a joke. They expect you to put in the time and money (fuel) to get there, attend their assessment and interview totaling almost 2 hours yet they haven’t got a minute to spare to call you or send an email to let you know your application was not successful. :question: :question: :question: I can understand a lack of response if it’s an application only but no

Driver shortage mate, way toooo busy too get back to you [emoji38]

Genuinely though, they were real slow getting back to me and that was a guaranteed job!! Took over 2 weeks of faffing an phone calls…

I’d say if nowt by Wednesday give their recruitment a shout, they are really helpful and will go digging for you if you use the forces of charm and persistence.

Out of interest, which depot you applied to chap?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Benjie83:
I’d say if nowt by Wednesday give their recruitment a shout, they are really helpful and will go digging for you if you use the forces of charm and persistence.

I already called them today, of course they knew nothing because the people manning the phones are not the people doing the interviews so they told me they’d ‘phone them (the depot? idk, idc) and ask them to give me a call with an update on my application’ which obviously isn’t going to happen as the day is over already. I applied for a job in their Rugby (Crick) depot

ETS:

Benjie83:

I already called them today, of course they knew nothing because the people manning the phones are not the people doing the interviews so they told me they’d ‘phone them (the depot? idk, idc) and ask them to give me a call with an update on my application’ which obviously isn’t going to happen as the day is over already. I applied for a job in their Rugby (Crick) depot

Let em have tomorrow to root around, if you hear nowt bell em Wednesday…
They should have found whomever it was who was supposed to sort it all out in the first place by then [emoji38]

Maybe swerve contacting Rugby an phone Appleton HQ direct, they may have an archer about who’ll fire one into Rugby for ya…

I’d say, no news is good news personally but either way Good luck [emoji41][emoji41]

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Benjie83:
Maybe swerve contacting Rugby an phone Appleton HQ direct, they may have an archer about who’ll fire one into Rugby for ya…

I’d say, no news is good news personally but either way Good luck [emoji41][emoji41]

I think I did phone their HR HQ. I called the number they called me from to invite me for the interview which is the same as displayed on their website (it’s only one, for all job/application enquieries). Thanks but I’m not really holding my breath; if that’s how they treat prospective employees I can imagine the reign of chaos inside.

Am I right in thinking you only get an extra £20.30 for giving up your Sunday if on days? :cry: